Hi All,

First of all I am sorry if this is the wrong forum for the topic, feel free to move it where appropriate.

I`m 22 years old and am really into guitars, heavy metal, hard rock and stuff. I really want to learn to play the electric guitar. However I don't know anything about music, notes, stuff etc. Do you think that is going to be a problem? And what kind of guitar would you suggest for a absolute beginner like me? I saw the Fender and Gibson copies Squier and Epiphone, I also saw some reviews and stuff. I`ll be looking for something cheap for starters, lets say 250-350 euros (~$500). Forgot to mention that I`m lefthanded - would this be a problem? Any advices and comments would be highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance, I`m looking forward to hearing from you guys!

Cheers,
Vik
Lots of guitarist don't know sh*t about theory.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
This is the wrong forum section.

In response, do you think everyone is born with musical knowledge? No, so not knowing isn't gonna hold you back, all gotta start somewhere.
Not knowing theory isn't going to prevent you from playing, but knowing theory helps you understand what you are actually playing and how it all fits together.

EDIT: And also, there are better guitars for the price than squiers, though epiphones aren't that bad
Last edited by halvies at Jul 3, 2009,
Every musician starts without musical knowledge...
It wouldn't be a problem, learn to read tabs and you're off...
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

My advice would be to learn music theory and notation. It will definately help. However, you don't absolutely need it.
Quote by Stormx
I tremble before your enormous penis.
Quote by molala2
and i farted, it was really stink
Quote by italiarlz135
Led Pepplin, you are god because of this thread.
Quote by josh999x, Brick23

Left handed shouldn't be a problem, and because you're starting out you could learn right or left handed from scratch. Just choose any starter guitar, they're not all that different from each other other than looks in that price range
He who knows all, knows nothing in the eye of a imbecile.
Get your hands on a right handed guitar.

They are easier to get your hands on, you know.
DeVillains!
Well I'm playing 2 years and I write songs, play shows, play in a band...but I only know the C major scale...well I know the notation but probably forgot most of it by now anyway...
notation didn't help me a bit...C major scale did a bit...but for now just learn some songs that you like and then work your was up from there.

I know lots of lefties that play right handed guitars.
They're easier to get and there are more options available.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
I'm lefty and I play a righty guitar, but I think lefty guitarists are cool
As everyone's already said, no one is born with musical knowledge, so start learning tabs and get a teacher and you're good to go
good luck dude
Hey cool so many replies in such short time Thanks a lot guys, you rule!

I saw a lot of video lessons, for example on youtube, which will help me a lot in the beginning I think. Later on I can read some stuff about the notes and other theory things

Ok, so basically what do I need to play the guitar at home, besides the guitar itself and an amplifier?

I`m looking at some cheap guitars right now. There several brands on the market here: ESP, Ibanez, Epiphone and Squier, which have some failry cheap models. What model would you suggest for me? I personally like the Epiphone ones, but as halvies said there maybe are better options.
i'm lefty, it causes problems when shopping for guitars, but if i had learned right handed instead of left handed i would be no where near as good as i am today, its very much about what feels comfortable, also what other have said as well - of course you won't know any theory to begin with, get yourself a good teacher and learn your chops!
Yamaha, Squire and Epiphone make some fairly decent low cost guitars.

A list of things you will need

Guitar
Amp
Cable
Guitar picks
Tuner
Metronome (not required but INSANELY useful)

I would even suggest getting a few lessons to get you started. Get your technique right before you get too far into it
Last edited by JackalUK at Jul 3, 2009,
Yeah, I'd advise you to avoid squiers, you can get a lot better for the same amount of money, but epipihones tend to be decent, just have a look at some of the reviews and see what best suits your musical tastes.

And regarding the fact that you are left handed, since you're beginning I'd recommend playing right handed, there's a few reasons for this- Left handed guitars are notoriously hard to get hold of, and they are more expensive than their right handed counterparts, also if you learn left handed you'll never be able to just pick up a friend guitar and jam on it, also being left handed you'll have some interesting advantages over right handed players - your fretting hand will be a lot stronger so you'll find a lot of things much easier, this will be especially usefully for a beginner because you'll find chord formations much easier this way, and this is one of the main struggles of beginning guitar, also one of the most important things about playing guitar is having your own style, and a stronger fretting hand will give a unique aspect to your playing. I'm left handed and play right handed btw.
Last edited by greenwoodfan93 at Jul 3, 2009,
Get the stuff the JackalUK said, including the metronome, which is actually more than just useful. Playing an untuned, or a poorly tuned guitar is--if not impossible--disadvantageous to getting a good ear for notes and music in general.

Squiers are decent, Epiphones are also good.

If you're planning to play in a band in the future, might as well buy a genuine Fender stratocaster/telecaster. Versatile, durable and easy to get fixed wherever you go..
Ibanez are a good place to start, they do low-cost, high quality beginner packages (not sure if they still do their Jumpstart series, probably do), their instruments are versatile enough while being easy to play, they all have good tone, and it will last you years.

Can't go wrong with Japanese engineering, honestly. Yamaha are a good one too. Comes with free chopsticks.
Quote by greenwoodfan93
Yeah, I'd advise you to avoid squiers, you can get a lot better for the same amount of money, but epipihones tend to be decent, just have a look at some of the reviews and see what best suits your musical tastes.

And regarding the fact that you are left handed, since you're beginning I'd recommend playing right handed, there's a few reasons for this- Left handed guitars are notoriously hard to get hold of, and they are more expensive than their right handed counterparts, also if you learn left handed you'll never be able to just pick up a friend guitar and jam on it, also being left handed you'll have some interesting advantages over right handed players - your fretting hand will be a lot stronger so you'll find a lot of things much easier, this will be especially usefully for a beginner because you'll find chord formations much easier this way, and this is one of the main struggles of beginning guitar, also one of the most important things about playing guitar is having your own style, and a stronger fretting hand will give a unique aspect to your playing. I'm left handed and play right handed btw.

Talking about the jamming aspect of things, I play left handed and I'm the only one I know that does (apart from one other younger kid who I sell my old guitars to ), but I still go round my mates and play on their right handed guitars, albeit it is slightly more difficult to get the chords right (strumming the correct strings is difficult) I can still play alot of things on them. Its just a matter of flipping everything upside down, doesn't hold me back however I do see where you are coming from.
Quote by bury_em_all
Hi All,

First of all I am sorry if this is the wrong forum for the topic, feel free to move it where appropriate.

Don't apologise, and don't ask me to move stuff for you. Post this in the right forum yourself.

Use the new members forum if you're having a hard time finding a forum that actually contains the word "Guitar" in it.
This is not a pipe