i was thinking of upgrading and curious about these. I know one channel is clean, then the two are distortion, but one is usually a lead channel. Typically which one has the effects and higher gain? the distortion lead channel, or the distoriton rythem channel thanks
Well usually it is clean->crunch->overdrive/distortion/lead

edit: oh...rhythm is crunch I guess...
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
lead normally has higher gain, it takes more gain to noticeably overdrive when you are playing single notes than chords. You'll notice that yourself, you get very much quiter and less distorted when you switch from rhythm to lead.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
On more complex amps, you can set up the channels the way you want - the general setup is indeed clean/crunch/gain, though personally I prefer a crunch/heavy crunch/lead sort of set up.
my splawn is a 3 channel amp its clean, od 1 (plexi) od 2 (jcm 800)

to be honest id like it much more if it was a 2 channel amp or even a single channel amp and just boost it with pedals

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Amps that have more than two channels, unless you pay quite a bit of money, won't sound as untainted as single, or two channel amps. Which is one of the reasons as to why boutique amp makes rarely develop two channel amps; because they realise it contorts, and slightly controls the original tone.

Examples of three channel amps that still sound great:
Framus Dragon
Brunetti XLR-Evo
Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier
Diezel VH4
ENGL SE
Koch Multitone II
Hughes&Kettner Trilogy
Soldano Decatone
Marshall JVM401

Neither of those amps have effects, though. Typically, the third channel has the highest gain, but only because it is designated as a lead channel and thus generally requires that extra push. That's not to say you can't dime the second channels gain up max and have that as your dirtiest tone. The higher grade amps are best for that.
yeah, like angrygoldfish said, amps that are three channels and cheaper usually have one sh*t chandont sound as good, or have a horrible channel. kinda like the xxx, the ultra channel is absolutely terrible.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
typically what amp companies do is they develop a decent twin channel amp and then tack a Fender Twin preamp on it (only adds 1 tube) and call it a 3 channel amp.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
To be honest, I'd recommend avoiding multi channel amps. Adding pedals to the mix will give you a far more diverse and discerning tone.
Quote by Holy-Diver
yeah, like angrygoldfish said, amps that are three channels and cheaper usually have one sh*t chandont sound as good, or have a horrible channel. kinda like the xxx, the ultra channel is absolutely terrible.

I agree kinda, the Ultra is okay but compared to the crunch channel it lacks depth, fullness, and charter and I cannot seem to EQ around it either, its not bad but when I use it I like "why am I messing with this when the other channel sounds better", then I switch to the other channel. I would have been more happy with two crunch channels than the ultra channel personally.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
2, 3 and 4 channel amps don't sound worse than single channel amps. Most of it is in the design of the amp and if the amp sounds lesser, it's because of the components used and the design layout of it.

My 6100 sounds great on all 3 channels and pretty accurately replicates the single channel amps it was made to sound like. My Road King sounded awesome on all 4 channels as well. The Randall RM4, though a bit different, is another great multi-channel amp.

Single channel amps with pedals simply can't compete with a good 2 or 3 channel amp in versatility imo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
From the experience I've had with multi-channel amps, the majority of them go to waste. I predict it's because some were not as useful as others, or the character of the amp itself seemed lost within them. It might be the fact that I had no demand for them. And pretty much every amp I've owned (Framus, ENGL, Line 6, Mesa) the first two channels were the only ones I really utilized.
I think a twin channel amp has far more diversity in it because adding pedals to the mix seems more applicable and worthwhile.

I certainly see that everyone has different tastes, and because of owning different amplifiers, it's a pretty standard thing to say that not all hear a tone the same way.