Went to GC yesterday looking at PRS guitars and they have a killer quilt model that is on sale for 2900 (down from 4000). Thinking about purchasing it. I would have to swap out the pickups though with the pickups found in modern Pau Reed Smith custom 24's though, since I like the sound better. BUT I wondering if this is a decent deal for a custom model Paul Reed Smith. I Am wary of buying from Guitar center (and guitar stores in general).

The only thing I am concerned with is that this model only has a 3 way pickup switch, while the custom 24 has a 5 way switch. so I can only get three of the sounds of the custom 24 if I swap pickups?
Current Gear

Bogner Uberschall
Mesa Dual Rectifier (Old Version)
Orange Closed Back 2x12 Cab with V30's
PRS Custom 24 Top 10 with 57/08 pickups
Schecter Hellraiser
Breedlove Atlas AD20
A bunch of pedals
You could change the pickup switch to 5-way one when you swap the pickups if you don't want a three way switch.
Gear
Gibson SG Standard with Bare Knuckle Riff Raff and Stormy Monday
Fender Eric Clapton Signature Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Fulltone OCD
EHX Holy Grail Nano
BYOC Tone Bender Clone
Korg Pitchblack
Fender Bassman '59 Reissue
question is....rip off or not?
Current Gear

Bogner Uberschall
Mesa Dual Rectifier (Old Version)
Orange Closed Back 2x12 Cab with V30's
PRS Custom 24 Top 10 with 57/08 pickups
Schecter Hellraiser
Breedlove Atlas AD20
A bunch of pedals
I suspect the model you're looking at has the 3-way selector as well as a push-pull tone pot, so you will achieve more than just 3 tones (look at the FAQ on their site). The 5-way switch works a bit differently, and requires compatible pickups to achieve the different coil combinations PRS intended, but that doesn't mean you can't wire them to the 3-way you will have.

If you do the pickup swap yourself, stay away from older used pickups. At some point, PRS had pickups with an additional green wire. I have one sitting on my shelf, a Dragon 1 treble, and nobody, not even PRS, can tell me how it should be wired.

BTW, PRS has a promotion on until Aug that allows you to buy a new guitar and have any set of new pickups you want installed free and setup done by PRS (you need to send them the guitar).
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
You need to grab that guitar and dont worry about those pick-ups, it probably does have the push-pull that Vulcan was talking about which I have on my single cut, the sounds you can pull out those guitars are amazing to say the least.
Could anyone tell me the difference between a PRS custom 24 and a PRS SE Custom 24?
Proghead and Proud
Quote by SchecterAbuser7
Could anyone tell me the difference between a PRS custom 24 and a PRS SE Custom 24?

The se is built in Korea and is an ok guitar for the price, but the custom 24 is an amazing instrument built in America of the finest quality and costs alot more but worth it.
The SE doesn't have the carved top either. It's a flat top. Tuners are cheaper, and I may be wrong about this, but the wood is of lower quality.

I just got a Custom 22 and it was in the clearance section so I saved 1600 bucks. Quite a steal because every other one I was looking at was just under $4000. But if price is a big thing to you go with the SE. Still a decent guitar.
the only thing that's similar about the SE and a real Custom 24 is the brand name. pretty much EVERYTHING else is different.

the SE is korean made, made of cheaper woods, uses cheaper tuners, pickups, and electronics, has a flat top

the real 24 is made here in maryland (), made of top of the line woods, has a nice carved top (flame maple i think), top of the line pickups and electronics. plus, depending on how much you spend, the real bird inlays too. which are insanely nice looking, but way too expensive