OK so I'm buying one of these amps within the next few days.

Why I want the Spidervalve:
I already have a Line 6 Amp (Spider 3) and I'm used to the controls and the Spidervalve has a lot more variety and greater distortion than the Fender. Also it has some tube power (pre-amp).

Why not?
I have heard there have been some issues like little electrical gremlins that have plagued the Spidervalves, and while its not that big of a deal if I'm dropping $700 dollars I want as few problems as possible. (This is what the salesman told me).

Why I want the Hot Rod Deluxe:
Sounds amazing, all-tube power, rock solid fender reliability and with an overdrive pedal I'm sure it could have a great distorted sound.

Why not?
I don't think it can get distorted enough for some of the stuff I like to play (Guns N' Roses, Motley Crue etc.) and I'd have to drop more money for another pedal

I already have a Boss DS-1 and a Crybaby that are gonna be run through one of these amps.

The music I play varies from clean to Guns N' Roses and Motley stuff, could the Hot Rod Deluxe pull it off?

Both amps are 112 and 40w and around 700 bucks.

I really, REALLY want the Fender but I'm worried that it won't be able to get distorted enough for some of the music I play. Convince me that it can

TIA
little bit of sunshine
Neither. The Spider Valve wasn't great sounding, and there is better for the same price. I just don't like HRD either. The cleans are awesome, but the drive channel sucks. There are much better amps for the money, I assure you.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
I've never played on a Hot Rod Deluxe but I have played with a Spidervalve. I've never had any electrical problems yet *knock on wood* and it's been over a year since I bought mine. It's very good for pretty much any style of music, but doesn't do anything exceptionally well. It's a whole lot better than anything from the Spider 3 series.
This is my sig
Last edited by Limabean231 at Jul 3, 2009,
Quote by Limabean231
I've never played on a Hot Rod Deluxe but I have played with a Spidervalve. I've never had any electrical problems yet *knock on wood* and it's been over a year since I bought mine. It's very good for pretty much any style of music, but doesn't do anything exceptionally well. It's a whole lot better than anything from the Spider 3 series.

This, basically. It seems like your playing styles are much too defined for you to need the versatility of the Spider Valve. For those styles, you could get something that sounds better for the same price.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
I own the Hot Rod Deluxe (pre price jump! post tax and performance guarantee it costed 750$) and you have to work with the drive to find where you like it.

I play RHCP, SRV, Pink Floyd, Black Keys, White Stripes, Raconteurs...you know where this is going. I'm a blues and rock player, and MOST of these bands run with low distortion clean boosts, or run a pedal in for their distortion and keep the amp on clean.

My advice is to tinker with the drive/ more drive and the knob to see if you can get close to what you want with it. I play with the drive <2 and crank the master channel for tube drive and boost and when I want distortion switch over to more drive channel. When I want something inbetween I move to 3 and sometimes 4ish drive, and I've found 3 does AC/DC and Black Keys like distortion well.

If you want multiple good distorted tones I might suggest buying the Hot Rod because of its' great cleans, the pedals you run through it will sound better than through an amp with bad cleans (think about it, you run the clean channel when you're using pedal distortion. Better the clean, better the disto will be). I will tell you the Hot Rods' overdrive past 6 is yuckish to me, but it does well 6< and I think I found where I want to keep it for a while.

As far as reliability, I keep my gear and treat each piece like a god so I haven't had anything just 'spark' up since I've had it about 6 months now.
For that much money, see if you can find a JCM 800 or a Traynor YCS50 or YCV50 BLUE? Any of those amps would pretty much nail the tone you're looking for (esp. the JCM 800).
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by manhangi
I own the Hot Rod Deluxe (pre price jump! post tax and performance guarantee it costed 750$) and you have to work with the drive to find where you like it.

I play RHCP, SRV, Pink Floyd, Black Keys, White Stripes, Raconteurs...you know where this is going. I'm a blues and rock player, and MOST of these bands run with low distortion clean boosts, or run a pedal in for their distortion and keep the amp on clean.

My advice is to tinker with the drive/ more drive and the knob to see if you can get close to what you want with it. I play with the drive <2 and crank the master channel for tube drive and boost and when I want distortion switch over to more drive channel. When I want something inbetween I move to 3 and sometimes 4ish drive, and I've found 3 does AC/DC and Black Keys like distortion well.

If you want multiple good distorted tones I might suggest buying the Hot Rod because of its' great cleans, the pedals you run through it will sound better than through an amp with bad cleans (think about it, you run the clean channel when you're using pedal distortion. Better the clean, better the disto will be). I will tell you the Hot Rods' overdrive past 6 is yuckish to me, but it does well 6< and I think I found where I want to keep it for a while.

As far as reliability, I keep my gear and treat each piece like a god so I haven't had anything just 'spark' up since I've had it about 6 months now.

Spot on.

I personally don't like the HRD at all, sounds really thin and harsh to me. I'd truthfully prefer the Spider Valve of the two, but Ineither seems like a remotely good match for you.

More suitable amps to try in the price range would be the Tryanor YCV40, Kustom '36 Coupe, and perhaps some Ceriatone Marshall clones in combo form.
let's start this thread off right. What is your budget, kinds of music you play, and closest major city/state.
I actually really like the Spider Valve, it's a good amp and gets a lot of unwarranted bashing around here because people have never played them and draw conclusions or play them for 15 minutes and give up on them because they don't understand how to work it.

The Hot Rod Deluxe is not what you want.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
peavey classic 30

a hot rod was my first tube amp and the cleans were nice but you needed a few pedals to get a good overdriven sound

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

"rock solid fender reliability"
that made me LOL. mine has been in the repair shop 5 times at least. for some reason, it eats preamp tubes, and the PCB board rattles so much the speaker and from the fact the freaking tubes are connected to it, it constantly breaks down.
it is a very nice sounding amp, and you can get good OD tones from it if you have a good touch and a good ear, but it IS NOT RELIABLE AT ALL.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by Limabean231

The Spidervalve is terrible for his styles of music.

Quote by MatrixClaw
I actually really like the Spider Valve, it's a good amp and gets a lot of unwarranted bashing around here because people have never played them and draw conclusions or play them for 15 minutes and give up on them because they don't understand how to work it.

The Hot Rod Deluxe is not what you want.

I've yet to hear a single good low-mid overdriven tone from that amp.
Not from lacking of trying or searching, neither.
Quote by MatrixClaw

+1.

When I played a Spider Valve for a while in a GC in Nashville, it was pretty good.

TS: Look into a Bugera 1990.
Quote by JilaX^
I've yet to hear a single good low-mid overdriven tone from that amp.
Not from lacking of trying or searching, neither.

He's not asking for low-mid overdriven tones...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I think I've decided on the Spidervalve then, I'm still trying to find my personal tone and I think the versatility of the Spidervalve will help me with this.

Unfortunately there are no used ones around my area (Jax, FL) so I'm going to have to go new. I'll probably pick it up later today. I'll check out some of the Peavy stuff, I think they have a Valveking in 40w 112 configuration.
little bit of sunshine
Good luck with the new amp buddy, I hope you enjoy it!

Unless you already had a myriad of good distortions and fuzzes I don't think you would be 100% happy with the HRD. Seriously, the only reason I haven't invested in a distortion pedal myself is that I like to tinker and can play loud enough so that I can get natural breakup as well as gain distortion for my thicker sounds (like Tool or Sabbath, yes I don't play much metal but those are some of the higher gain bands I play).

Again, good luck, have fun, and rip some ass on the new amp. I suggest after getting the chance to play it cranked enough to really EQ it to your liking inviting neighbors and the like over for a BBQ and music, and invite any other musically talented you know.
Quote by M1K3A
I think I've decided on the Spidervalve then, I'm still trying to find my personal tone and I think the versatility of the Spidervalve will help me with this.

Unfortunately there are no used ones around my area (Jax, FL) so I'm going to have to go new. I'll probably pick it up later today. I'll check out some of the Peavy stuff, I think they have a Valveking in 40w 112 configuration.

I'd wait till a used one comes around, or buy one on eBay/UG Classified/Harmony-Central/etc. You can get a used one, with the floorboard, for less than the cost of the amp new.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
either ive lacked playing high quality amps or the spider valve sounds like a hella amp for $700
Quote by mechanix901
either ive lacked playing high quality amps or the spider valve sounds like a hella amp for $700

There are a lot of high quality amps in the 500-700$ market...Crate and Vox (IIRC) make great decent wattage tube amps in there. Friend of mine has an amazing crate that was 500$ new.

Fenders also do have decent ones but they lack volume, while cranking tube amps is best for tone they cannot do small gigs without micing and turning up their part of the PA.

The only company that I'm somewhat aware of that doesn't make at least one good sounding amp in the 500-700 range is Marshall, but I've only seen/played the JCM200 (I think that was the number) model which is the only tube marshall has that I can find.

/is ignorant of anything Peavey, line 6, and the like.