As I've stated in the other thread, I have an output jack problem. I wonder if I should just get it repaired at the guitar shop.
if you're not confident then yes, if you can read instructions or have some patience then do it yourself. it's not an extremely hard task but you do run the risk of burning your guitars paintjob.
I have my guitar(s) repaired all the time. But they're usually just pretty minor things that need 'a fixin'. Plus I have a really good relation with the local guitar shops in town.

Support your local music stores!
Just do it yourself, probably you just got to resolder it. If it fails, buy a new output jack and swap 'em. Don't be lame, every guitarist should know how to setup his own guitar and do smaller fixes/mods (changing pickups, pots, fixing output jack etc.)
is the problem that you need to have it at a certain angle for it to work?

if so, open it up and bend the metal contact in a bit towards the centre of the plug so that it touches the jack properly when you plug it in.
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
Quote by zombiak
Just do it yourself, probably you just got to resolder it. If it fails, buy a new output jack and swap 'em. Don't be lame, every guitarist should know how to setup his own guitar and do smaller fixes/mods (changing pickups, pots, fixing output jack etc.)

fix your own floyd rose...:'(
who knows how much money i've wasted sending it to get fixed everytime one little thing goes wrong with it
depends, how much are you paid? my normal rule is if i can do it and get paid less an hour in my current job than i would pay to have it done then i would definitely do it myself :p

Plus fixing stuff like that can be pretty fun if you have the right mindset on it, if you want it done quickly and with no fuss then get it done pro
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by zigslip
fix your own floyd rose...:'(
who knows how much money i've wasted sending it to get fixed everytime one little thing goes wrong with it

Then it´s time that you learn to do it yourself, if you need help just ask.
No, I jumped right into repair. You just have to be willing to damage your instrument in the learning process.
Quote by sstony
Then it´s time that you learn to do it yourself, if you need help just ask.

ive tried learning, although i really want to give it a shot this time, i have a dean from hell and a Jem, and i dont like using the floyd too much cause i dont want it off balance, which takes away alot of the fun of having a floyd rose
Quote by zigslip
ive tried learning, although i really want to give it a shot this time, i have a dean from hell and a Jem, and i dont like using the floyd too much cause i dont want it off balance, which takes away alot of the fun of having a floyd rose

If your trem is set-up correct you can do what ever you want with it and it´ll stay in tune the whole night with no worrys, Mine does !!!!!!!
I've never paid for fixes, apart from buying solder and stuff though :P

seriously though dodgy jack socket is pretty easy to sort.
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.
Quote by sstony
If your trem is set-up correct you can do what ever you want with it and it´ll stay in tune the whole night with no worrys, Mine does !!!!!!!

i guess the guy who repairs my floyd rose doesnt know what he's doing, it always seems, well, a tad off, and ive never been able to mess with my floyd without worrying somethings gonna snap or go outta tune, always seemed people overhyped the tuning ability of a floyd rose, care to help me?
An Original Floyd Rose that has never had it´s blades dulled by someone adjusting action with tension on the strings stays in tune VERY well. Licensed Floyd Rose trems and OFR trems that have had action adjusted with tension present do not stay in tune well at all.
I haven't ever repaired my instruments but I have been reading Dan Erlewine's Guitar Repair book (Third edition) So I will be able to repair my guitars when necessary. Not only am I learning about guitars from a repairman's view, I am also saving myself from the worries of leaving my guitars at a store where they may end up being manhandled. I worry a bit about leaving a $230 guitar at a store for repairs, What do you think would happen if I had a $3,000 guitar?
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
I used to but now I do just about every thing myself except when wood breaks. to fix an output jack is really easy shouldn't more 3mins to fix. If you have a old starter guitar laying around practice on it over time you could save loads of money in the long run so far I've saved around $100 in repairs $200 installing upgrades and $300-500 in painting
My Gear
03' MIM SunBurst Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard With Lace Alumitones
Epiphone PeeWee Les Paul
Starcaster By Fender
B-52 AT-112
Amplitube: Metal, Jimi Hendrix, Fender
Boss DS-1

Fav Bands: RHCP, Led Zep, ACDC, BLS, Slipknot
Last edited by a500n54 at Jul 3, 2009,