Hi all
Did any one here ever try the Epi G-400 Custom?
Got any opinions aabout it?
I've played a few G-400 customs and had a slightly different opinion of each of them.

I'm soon going to be an owner of a '99 custom which is a brilliant guitar, a lot better than anything you'll find coming out of the array of different factories producing epiphones these days, and it's only downside is that the pickups are a bit muddy. But the newer models, though a bit hit and miss, can be pretty good anyway. The only thing truly consistent about the new ones is the big rounded necks, and the inherently muddy stock pickups which seem to have been a 'feature' for quite some time.

So yeah there's no solid answer anyone can give due to the inconsistencies. The wood itself and the build quality is quite consistent but it's the hardware that's the issue a lot of the time: Watch out for bad fretwork, loose-fitted or crackly switches/knobs, badly cut nuts, rattly bridges etc.. try before you buy, basically.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Try before you buy, there are some great ones but like someone said they are hit and miss. If you can find one of the older ones made in Korea then that would be better.

I got a faded g-400 in september of 07 as my first guitar. The pickups are decent and there are no fret or tuner problems, but it does have a few problems. Its hard to keep the g and b strings intonated on mine because of the bridge, the neck is a bit too thick for my liking, and the switch sometimes messes up when I switch to the rhythm pickup.

Overall I think even with those problems, its still a great beginner guitar(your not gonna find anything perfect in this price range). I don't regret getting mine by any means, but I think I would have been better off getting the MIM strat for a little bit more instead. If you want a SG-style guitar for not a lot of money, this is your best bet though. Just try before you buy.

edit: I was referring to the regular g-400s, Ive never played a custom, but the regular(or faded) are just fine, considering what you pay.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Last edited by David_Bowie=GOD at Jul 5, 2009,
I have one and dont like it. The frets are buzzy and I have no sustain to it at all. Like none.
love is love // return to dust
My mate has particularly nice one but i'm not a fan of the thin body tbh and it may just be me but I think the sustain suffers because of it

EDIT: As above ^ sustain
Quote by Firebirdz
Hi all
Did any one here ever try the Epi G-400 Custom?
Got any opinions aabout it?

Crap, utter irredeemable crap....well, you asked.

For the record, I hold the same opinion regarding the current crop of Gibson SGs as well -- excluding the P90 model, which for some reason seems to work for me (although for $1K I should have gotten a freakin' case).
Quote by tancanada
I have one and dont like it. The frets are buzzy and I have no sustain to it at all. Like none.

either you have a lemon, or you really need a setup.. or both!

i see some valid criticisms however - sustain.

now the reason the sustain suffers is because you have those 3 strong magnets (humbuckers!) pulling on the strings, and because of the extra cut out of the body caused by the extra pickup, and this also harms the tone a bit too. meaning the regular G-400 is naturally a better sounding guitar with longer sustain!

I love how the custom sounds with a fuzzbox though.. it's great for psychedelic tones!
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.