Hey UG, i was wondering if you could help me achieve a good metalcore guitar tone, think Parkway Drive, August Burns Red.

My rig at the moment =

Fender Tele FMT HH (humbucking guitar)

Peavey Valveking 212 (modded /w Celestion V30 and G12k100)

I play with no pedals as of yet.

The problems i have with my current tone is that it's muddy! And i want to be gainy and heavy and 'brutal' without the mud.

I play in drop c and standard d tuning and was wondering which would would be the best path to go down improving my tone whether that be amps/ amp modification, pedals or guitars/ guitar modification.

Thanks, Will.
Fender Custom Tele, FMT HH
Michael Kelly Patriot Black
Peavey VK 212 (modded)
Member #24 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!

Quote by larrytheguitar
Would you eat the fish.
Stop playing metalcore? Sorry...

Now for the real advice. What kind of Humbuckers do you have in the Tele, they might be causing the muddiness.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Guitar:

I think you need a new guitar to fit metal core better. Like a Schecter, ESP/LTD, Jackson, or an Ibanez.

However, the guitar doesn't affect the tone as much as the...

Amp:

The Valveking at least when I tried it was very muddy. I heard a good fix to it is to change the stock speaker. Also, invest in a EQ Pedal to better fix things, and possibly an overdrive (Bad Monkey Pedal works well with Valveking) to boost your amp to get more of a metalcore sound.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Jul 3, 2009,
'Stop playing metalcore' haha, i actually did laugh.

They're the stock fender pups. I've always wondered if they may not be able to handle my brutality.

Oh, and about my amp, the speakers have been changed, so pedals could be a possibility to improve it.
Peavey VK 212 (modded)

Quote by larrytheguitar
Would you eat the fish.
Last edited by bill_talent at Jul 3, 2009,
Swap pickups in your Tele for something more gainy, giving more compressed sound I think. I don't listen to metalcore that much but I guess that active pickups like EMGs, Blackouts/LiveWire or Merlin Eclipse should do the job.
Change the pickups to EMG's or get a new guitar. I personally don't like Seymour Duncan Blackouts.

What did you change the speaker too?

You need an EQ pedal, and an overdrive to boost the amp.
i would swap the speakers in the valveking, as well as get a nice od pedal to boost the gain and volume. also, put some SD pups in the guitar, maybe the hot rodded set.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
It says the speakers in my first post, they're Celestions, the V30 and the G12k-100.

I know the best value overdrive (bad monkey) which is the best value eq pedal for me to buy? Thanks.
Peavey VK 212 (modded)

Quote by larrytheguitar
Would you eat the fish.
Quote by bill_talent
It says the speakers in my first post, they're Celestions, the V30 and the G12k-100.

I know the best value overdrive (bad monkey) which is the best value eq pedal for me to buy? Thanks.

Oh sorry. I didn't read.

On a budget:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Danelectro-DJ14-Fish-and-Chips-7Band-EQ-Pedal?sku=151873

Not on a budget:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXR-M108-Ten-Band-Graphic-EQ?sku=151115#new
Not meaning to act like i didn't read your last post, but does this eq look any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Graphic-EQ-Pedal-For-Guitar-True-Bypass-Big-LEDs-Biyang_W0QQitemZ330322496482QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item4ce8c14be2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1688%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Don't wanna sound like a noob here but are a lot of EQs equal anyway, due to fairly simple wiring, or am i wrong?
Peavey VK 212 (modded)

Quote by larrytheguitar
Would you eat the fish.
Quote by bill_talent
Not meaning to act like i didn't read your last post, but does this eq look any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Graphic-EQ-Pedal-For-Guitar-True-Bypass-Big-LEDs-Biyang_W0QQitemZ330322496482QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item4ce8c14be2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1688%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Don't wanna sound like a noob here but are a lot of EQs equal anyway, due to fairly simple wiring, or am i wrong?

Really, from my experience is that most EQ pedals work the same, but it's the quality and how how it's made is what changes EQ pedals.

Personally, I can't give you an opinion on that EQ pedal because I have not tried it.
Fair enough, well i'm trying to research it now as it seems good looking at least :L.
Peavey VK 212 (modded)

Quote by larrytheguitar
Would you eat the fish.
Quote by bill_talent
Fair enough, well i'm trying to research it now as it seems good looking at least :L.

The only advice I can give you on this is to try before you buy :P

The pedal does look pretty good though.
id sell your amp and get a used peavey 5150 or a 6505
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

Quote by Jaekae
id sell your amp and get a used peavey 5150 or a 6505
This might also work. Most metalcore bands use the 6505.
think ive seen a picture where parkway drive had a 5150 in a studio
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

Quote by Jaekae
think ive seen a picture where parkway drive had a 5150 in a studio
Yeah, I think I might have seen it as well, but I'm not sure. I don't listen to Parkaway Drive.

I'm pretty sure Bullet For My Valentine uses the 6505, Trivium uses it, and Killswitch Engage uses it and their tone is spot on.
yeah both those amps are awesome for metalcore tones, so just get the cheapest u find used :P