everytime i write a chord progression it usually sounds like something jack white would write, every single time, ive had like 10 other people tell me this, but im not going for the jack white sound, im going for MY sound, help?
Quote by herby190
When I saw that, I thought of musical notes.... my elementary school teachers taught them as "tee-tees" "ta-tas" and a bunch of other nonsense....
Listen to a wider variety of music. Or better yet write melodies over your chord progressions. A good melody can completely change the sound of a chord progression.
it sounds like you need to figure out what your sound is first. only took me about 5 years to find mine and its always changing.
Quote by Ir a+infinitive
everytime i write a chord progression it usually sounds like something jack white would write, every single time, ive had like 10 other people tell me this, but im not going for the jack white sound, im going for MY sound, help?

Keep learning and allow yourself to develop your own sound. it takes time/experience.
shred is gaudy music
a chord progression is really only a tiny fraction of the total piece of music, there are really only about 10 different chord progressions that get widely used. if you look at it theoretically you'll probably find metallica and the jonas brothers on the same chord sequence yet they sound very different. Thats down to melody, but more importantly in my opinion phrasing.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Instead of writing a chord progression out the blue, try writing a melody and harmonize that instead.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane