I'm looking for a low wattage (5w) solid state combo amp that can produce great clean tones, as well as hard rock. I don't want to spend more than a few hundred on it though.

I want it for bedroom practice, and i didn't want to go through the trouble of finding a head and cab separately, or retubing tube amps.
Vox Da5

That's just what I use mine for and it's ballin. Try one.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Low wattage tube amps can be fairly low maintenance.

Just spring a couple extra $$ and get a cheap tube amp.

A Fender Champ clone, Vox AC4, mod an Epi VJ, Blackheart Little Giant, tons out there.
no just buy a tube combo like the fender champ 600 5w
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
tiny terror combo?

my friend has a tiny roland of some sort that responds great to his gt-10, ill ask him what it is when i go over there tomorrow. even if it's not adding any effects, for what it is, it soudns good.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Just putting this out there, if you already have semi-decent computer speakers, a Pocket POD through them will likely sound as good or better then any cheap amp.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by conor1148
tiny terror combo?

my friend has a tiny roland of some sort that responds great to his gt-10, ill ask him what it is when i go over there tomorrow. even if it's not adding any effects, for what it is, it soudns good.

Its called a Roland Micro Cube and its delicous
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by VanTheKraut
Its called a Roland Micro Cube and its delicous

aha! it was very nice, but then again, plugging in a $500 muliteffect makes almost ANYTHING sound nice

...except a line 6 spider
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Cubes, Da5's, pignose and others run on battery power, which is an awesome feature.
Vox have just come out with his little tube combo, it's white, low wattage, I think it was 4 watts... I forget what it is called exactly, it was in a recent Guitar World magazine... might be up your alley.
i'm really getting into the idea of battery powered, but i'll have to test it to see. i've heard some really different things about the roland microcube. it seems like some love it while others just despise it.
Quote by gregs1020
Vox Da5

That's just what I use mine for and it's ballin. Try one.

These are pretty cool.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by likelyanonymous
i'm really getting into the idea of battery powered, but i'll have to test it to see. i've heard some really different things about the roland microcube. it seems like some love it while others just despise it.

The pignose 5w battery amp is pretty good though, i mean they've been making the same design for 30 years and some of the originals are still working.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
Vox have just come out with his little tube combo, it's white, low wattage, I think it was 4 watts... I forget what it is called exactly, it was in a recent Guitar World magazine... might be up your alley.

I think you're talking about the AC4 there
WAIT!!!

first off: Budget?

secondly, why SS? there are some really great tube and hybrid amps out there that do far superior jobs at modeling than many SS modelers. personally, you can't get a much better practice amp than the Fender Vibro Champ XD. 5 watts, 15 or so different amp models, built in effects, and it gets great cleans.

they're around $200. the only other amps i would buy that are the same price or cheaper than the VCXD is the Vox DA5, Vox Pathfinder or the Pignose portable amp.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
well, it's a practice amp. i dont want to spend more than 200 on it. and just out of convenience, i'd like battery powered and not having to change tubes
Quote by likelyanonymous
well, it's a practice amp. i dont want to spend more than 200 on it. and just out of convenience, i'd like battery powered and not having to change tubes

change batteries and not tubes... weird.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
Quote by likelyanonymous

you'd end up changing batteries 10x more than tubes.

but if you really want to go with a port-a-amp, go with a pignose.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Surely there will be a mains adapter with the amp? They won't expect you to just run it straight off batteries.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
Surely there will be a mains adapter with the amp? They won't expect you to just run it straight off batteries.

i just assumed you would be playing with batteries a lot, since that seemed like a deciding factor in your search.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
the pignose is nice, but its a one trick pony. the TS plays clean and rock/driven tones. the da5 and microcube come with adapters. i already gave my rec... but the TS should try them all, imo.
i dont understand, why do you think you'll be changing tubes every five minutes?
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Why do you think that tubes are a hassle. You've already stated that you want battery power, but that would probably cost MORE than changing tubes every few years. Tubes aren't that much hassle, and why would a bit of a hassle make you sacrifice a TON of tone? You can get a great tube combo for $200.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
the guy wants a small, portable, ss amp. what is so wrong with that? sure he can get a tube amp. he doesnt want one. he isnt a troll, he is a UGer that wants advice.
Blackstar HT-5 Combo? not solid state, but 5 watts and a good sounding amp to boot!
he dosnt want a tube amp. he wants a solid state. maybe he likes the tone from solid state amps? who knows and who cares? Stop offering tube amps. You'd make terrible salespeople , seriously.

'i want a solid state amp that's small, around 5w'

salesperson whos a moron: 'this is a tube amp we have right here '

'i didn't ask for a tube amp'

salesperson 'but it's a tube amp, why dont you want it?! do you disagree with the tube elitist movement!? BUY THIS EXPENSIVE TUBE AMP!!!!'

'...*leaves shop*'
Quote by gregs1020
the guy wants a small, portable, ss amp. what is so wrong with that? sure he can get a tube amp. he doesnt want one. he isnt a troll, he is a UGer that wants advice.

Agreed, most of the tube amps in that range are one trick ponies that won't do overdrive until you've turned them up a bit. The Super champ XD wouldn't be a bad choice, probably the only tube amp to consider for your price range and needs.

The Vox DA5 wouldn't be a bad choice at all.

If you want a cheap rugged battery powered amp check out the orange micro crush. Its only 50 bucks, sounds like crap and has a metal and wood chassis/cab so it's more rugged than similar amps that run on one 9volt battery.

Personally, I would probably be looking for a used pod in that range.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Zoot Allures
he dosnt want a tube amp. he wants a solid state. maybe he likes the tone from solid state amps? who knows and who cares? Stop offering tube amps. You'd make terrible salespeople , seriously.

'i want a solid state amp that's small, around 5w'

salesperson whos a moron: 'this is a tube amp we have right here '

'i didn't ask for a tube amp'

salesperson 'but it's a tube amp, why dont you want it?! do you disagree with the tube elitist movement!? BUY THIS EXPENSIVE TUBE AMP!!!!'

'...*leaves shop*'

tbh, imo im an awesome sales person, and in fact...my sales numbers reflect it......

I understand he asked for a solid state amp, however, given the situation and the fact that the blackstar can do great clean and overdriven tones at reasonable volumes, as well as sound better than most solid state amps in its price range at the same time..... I really think it would be more beneficial to the potential customer, and in their best interest to go with the blackstar.

And that has nothing to do with being a tube elitist. I loves me some solid state toanz. In fact, my fav. clean is probably a 70's strat through a JC-120. Some amazing metal tones come out of the AMpeg VH140c...so you can't tell me im a tube elitist either....
Last edited by Silenced7 at Jul 4, 2009,