Hi fellow bassists!
I'm looking into buying one of those aerodyne jazz basses and after doing abit of research i found out that there's the export ones (black one with cream binding and a stratocaster-style input jack) and theres the non-export ones that stay in japan (the ones that come in different colours and have a pickguard)

Besides the looks, what's the difference between these basses? If judging by the looks only, I personally like the non-export models.

Please help me decide on which one to get????
1 difference is that 1 is exported, and 1 is not
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
If you have even the smallest amount of sense in your head you'll buy the non-export model because

1) it's rarer
2) it actually looks like a jazz bass
3) it's totally kickass
4) I told you to do it and you have to do what I say because I'm a mod
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Thanks for the replies guys, I was just worried of the possibility that it's a non-export because it's not good enough to export...

And i'm dead worried maybe the electronics are second rate quality
get the non export if you can. if you can't, don't sweat, they're basically the same thing anywho.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by gh0st27
Thanks for the replies guys, I was just worried of the possibility that it's a non-export because it's not good enough to export...

And i'm dead worried maybe the electronics are second rate quality

It's japanese made, if anything it'll be better than the rubbish we get. Japan are notorious for keeping the best guitars for themselves. You only have to look at ESP's, Fender's and Ibanez's line of japan only guitars to see it.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
If you have even the smallest amount of sense in your head you'll buy the non-export model because

1) it's rarer
2) it actually looks like a jazz bass
3) it's totally kickass
4) I told you to do it and you have to do what I say because I'm a mod

I'd say that is all the info you'll need. You may as well close the thread.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Both are made in Japan. Just... some are... not meant... for exporting.... like... the... name... sa....y......s. The first run of Aerodynes were like the non-export ones, just black. Pickguard and all. Not sure about the input jack though - think it was like the non-export. Might have to dig out the old catalogues.

Now why the hell isn't there an ebony board on those things? It's like black black black black ROSEWOOD black black black.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Jul 4, 2009,
Quote by thefitz
Both are made in Japan. Just... some are... not meant... for exporting.... like... the... name... sa....y......s. The first run of Aerodynes were like the non-export ones, just black. Pickguard and all. Not sure about the input jack though - think it was like the non-export. Might have to dig out the old catalogues.

Now why the hell isn't there an ebony board on those things? It's like black black black black ROSEWOOD black black black.

because ebony is brittle under machinery and expensive and Fender is cheap.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Bah, Fender's used eb'ny b'fare. If they can figure out a compound radius for the Steve Bailey model, they can do a blank fretboard for the Aerodyne... as per the fretless Tony Franklin,
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
ok so i got the non-export aerodyne bass from ebay

it's beautiful and all but the stock pickups are abit disappointing...
i bought it secondhand and the guy said he got the electronics and everything checked and set-up before selling it to me.

Now i notice that when i turn down the J pickup and turn up the P pickup... theres hardly any sound coming out..

could it be that they weren't wired properly?

what kind of pickups are in these non-exports anyway? I tried researching but i only end up in webpages written in japanese..
they could be wired is series not parralel
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by thefitz
Bah, Fender's used eb'ny b'fare. If they can figure out a compound radius for the Steve Bailey model, they can do a blank fretboard for the Aerodyne... as per the fretless Tony Franklin,

those are MIA, which is usually using more expensive stuff, besides just the materials.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I sensed a disturbance in the force upon this thread...

Everyone seems to be layin out some smack talka bout the exported Jazz Aerodyne's. I LOVE MINE! I've played the non-exported ones, too. I don't liek those much =/ I guess it just depends on your taste.

and that whole Pick up issue ur havin with the P up adn j a little down, i have the same problem, but i never use the J pickup, i just like the P-bass pickups myself.
Try adding more delay.
Last edited by telecastrmastr at Jul 5, 2009,
I like the P bass pickups too, and it wouldn'tve bothered me as much if it was the other way around ( J not working, P going fine)

but at the moment it seems like i can only use the J pickup. Turning my P pickup up or down doesnt make any difference to the sound...
Just to clear some things up the non export models you are speaking of are Aerodyne JAZZ basses, and the export models are Aerodyne PRECISION basses. They both have the same electronics, necks, and pups, but the non export has a J body, export has a P body. I myself own an export model Precision and couldn't be happier. I got it for 600 dollars brand new because they discontinued the red/blue exports (which I like more than the black anyways)
Quote by Ruckus13
Just to clear some things up the non export models you are speaking of are Aerodyne JAZZ basses, and the export models are Aerodyne PRECISION basses. They both have the same electronics, necks, and pups, but the non export has a J body, export has a P body. I myself own an export model Precision and couldn't be happier. I got it for 600 dollars brand new because they discontinued the red/blue exports (which I like more than the black anyways)

I'm pretty sure the export models come in both P and J bodies...

McKagan uses an export model aerodyne with a jazz body
Without meaning to hijack this thread, how on earth do you get a non export model without going to japan? I ask because they look seriously sexy!
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Quote by gh0st27
I'm pretty sure the export models come in both P and J bodies...

McKagan uses an export model aerodyne with a jazz body

ya...There are export jazz bodies...otherwise I'm not sure what I'm playing.....and I've seen non-exported P-bodies

Sorry to hear bout your bad electronics for the P-bass pick up ): hope you can get it fixed.
Try adding more delay.
Quote by telecastrmastr
ya...There are export jazz bodies...otherwise I'm not sure what I'm playing.....and I've seen non-exported P-bodies

Sorry to hear bout your bad electronics for the P-bass pick up ): hope you can get it fixed.

hey isn't your red bass a non-export? coz i read somewhere that the export model only comes in black...

btw i fixed my pickups!!!
i opened it up and it turns out there was one loose wire.
soldered and done and now i love it!
Quote by wouldyakindly
Without meaning to hijack this thread, how on earth do you get a non export model without going to japan? I ask because they look seriously sexy!

ebay my friend
Quote by the humanity
those are MIA, which is usually using more expensive stuff, besides just the materials.

If the Indonesian Epiphone Joe Pass model can sport an ebony fingerboard...
Quote by Cody_Grey102