Hi UG! I've strated tuning to standard B to play music by my favourite band, HIM but my Stratocaster doesn't seem to like it (although that may be because of the 48s not thick strings). I've noticed that a lot of drop tuners use Gibson SGs (HIM, Black Sabbath and Korn) but I thought Gibsons were terrible for drop tunings?

I am considering buying a Gibson SG but i want to know on your opinions on they're handling of low tunings first.
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
All guitars can drop tune, Some guitars can drop tune with less adjustments then others, due to better build quality and parts.

Just buy some thicker strings, you may need to adjust the neck a little.

Also is it a MIM, MIA, Squier, Or cheap Knock-off?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
All guitars can drop tune, Some guitars can drop tune with less adjustments then others, due to better build quality and parts.

Just buy some thicker strings, you may need to adjust the neck a little.

Also is it a MIM, MIA, Squier, Or cheap Knock-off?

MIM dude, and your writing is very difficult to read XD
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
you can use pretty much any guitar for drop tunings. just cause your favorite bands use SGs doesn't mean EVERY band that drop tunes uses SG's. you just need thicker strings for more tension for the lower tunings. thats all. you dont need a certain guitar.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by GangsterLi
MIM dude, and your writing is very difficult to read XD

in the classic style, yes, but scroll all the way down and you'll see a drop down bar. click UG Black style. and it'll be a lot easier to read.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by GangsterLi
Korn

Hate to break it to you mate but Korn use 7 string Ibanezs and always have.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Gibson's are easier to drop-tune, because they dont require tremolo spring adjustments. Humbuckers also seem to sound better with distortion than single-coils do. With thicker strings, and the right adjustments, you should be fine.
first.... you're not going to get to B with 9's or 10's... you need 12's or something... secondly, you need you're guitar set up for B standard, if you go straight from E standard to B its gonna massively f*ck up your neck.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Hate to break it to you mate but Korn use 7 string Ibanezs and always have.

actually no, they use gibson sgs occasionally. but munky does mainly use his ibanez signature
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by qotsa1998
Gibson's are easier to drop-tune, because they dont require tremolo spring adjustments. Humbuckers also seem to sound better with distortion than single-coils do. With thicker strings, and the right adjustments, you should be fine.

any guitar with a hard-tail. not just gibsons.
Quote by pedromiles101
Quote by GangsterLi
actually no, they use gibson sgs occasionally.

Pics or it didn't happen.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU

ill find some, check back soon

EDIT: i couldnt find any pics, only information on wikipedia and uberproaudio.com and guitargeek.com
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Last edited by GangsterLi at Jul 3, 2009,
Quote by STABxYOU

i'm quite interested in this too.
Quote by pedromiles101
Quote by GangsterLi
actually no, they use gibson sgs occasionally. but munky does mainly use his ibanez signature

If you can find me any evidence of this I'd love to see it, I've never seen them use anything else.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I wouldn't rule the possiblity out, but most if not all Korn includes notes on the low A and on the high D, so it might be hard to pull off.

Wiki saiz:

* Paul Reed Smith Single cutaway 7 string - Used from 2008 and onward.
* Ibanez APEX1-BBK Munky Signature - Munkys current signature model from 2007 and onward.
* Ibanez Apex Prototype - Seen used on the Live from Montreux DVD.
* Ibanez K7 - Munky and Head signature guitars now discontinued.
* Ibanez K7 Protoype - The prototype for the K7 was long Munkys main guitar.
* Ibanez K14 Custom built 14 stringed guitar, used for the song Alone I Break.
* Ibanez RG8 - 8 stringed guitar, used on recent tours.
* Ibanez UV7BK - Steve Vai signature model.
* Ibanez Universe UV7PW - Covered in duct tape with, all pickups removed except for a humbucker in the bridge position only equipped with a single volume control.
* Ibanez Universe UV7BK - Used during 1997 Lollapalooza tour.
* Ibanez Universe PRE-97 UV7BK - With replaced pickguard, now retired.
* Ibanez Custom 7-string acoustic - Used for the MTV Unplugged and the recording of the untitled album.
* Ibanez GA6CE Classical - Nylon stringed acoustic-electric.
* Gibson SG 6-stringed model, tuned down to drop-A.
* Gibson EDS-1275 - Used during studio recordings.
* Fender Telecaster - 6-string model used on the song Kiss.
* Gretsch Hollowbody - Used during the recording of Evolution.
* Gibson Les Paul - Used during the recording of the untitled album.
* Saber S5407 - Seen in Blind video also occasionally used live during early tours.
* Silvertone - Used to record the Blind intro.
* Fender Stratocaster - 1964 model.
* Dean Markley strings - .010 .013 .017 .030 .042 .052 .060 gauge.
* Dunlop Tortex picks
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Last edited by STABxYOU at Jul 3, 2009,
Gibsons are actually worst for down-tuning because they have a shorter scale

Quote by SPBY
first.... you're not going to get to B with 9's or 10's... you need 12's or something... secondly, you need you're guitar set up for B standard, if you go straight from E standard to B its gonna massively f*ck up your neck.

Going from E standard to B won't do anything bad to your neck
Adjust tremolo springs, and get thick gauge strings. .12's is good for B Standard. Maybe even .13's.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by JELIFISH19
Gibsons are actually worst for down-tuning because they have a shorter scale

Going from E standard to B won't do anything bad to your neck

My ORM sounds fine in drop-B, and it's shorter scale then a Gibson.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
If your setup is too slinky, and your pups are too low, drop tuning is going to suck.

Here are some rules of thumb.

-Start with some thick ass strings i recommend 13s, with .058 on the bottom.

-If that is too slinky to play well (this is based on your preference, not written in stone), Get a guitar with a longer scale length. I think B flat with .058s and a 25.5" scalle is too slinky. At that point try a guitar that has a 26" or even a 27" scale.

SOUNDWISE

if it seems as though the sound is delayed or muffled, raise your pups as high as they cna go without hitting hte moving string.

Follow these rules and you should be fine.
Quote by STABxYOU
My ORM sounds fine in drop-B, and it's shorter scale then a Gibson.

I didn't mean it can't be done, I meant that it won't work as well as the strat. The longer scale means it will have more clarity and more tension in the strings. That's the reason why some 7-strings have longer scales. The low B would be less floppy. It's also the reason why baritones exist.
Quote by JELIFISH19
I didn't mean it can't be done, I meant that it won't work as well as the strat. The longer scale means it will have more clarity and more tension in the strings. That's the reason why some 7-strings have longer scales. The low B would be less floppy. It's also the reason why baritones exist.

Oh, I understand all of that. I'm just saying it's doable, if you keep string tension in mind. Shorter the scale, the heavier the strings you need.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Get some 12s (12 - 56 sound best IMO).

btw, are you sure HIM play in B standard? Most of their stuff doesn't sound much lower than Drop D, in fact, most of it sounds like it's in standard tuning.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Get some 12s (12 - 56 sound best IMO).

btw, are you sure HIM play in B standard? Most of their stuff doesn't sound much lower than Drop D, in fact, most of it sounds like it's in standard tuning.

They have played in drop B, drop C and Standard at least IIRC. I think they tuned lower on their earlier stuff and Wings of a Butteryfly is tuned to C IIRC.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
You could even downtune your grandmas old acoustic that you found in the attic to B standard, you just don't have thick enough strings and the guitar isn't set up properly.

I have .12s on a Strat and can go down to C Standard perfectly, haven't tried B.