Page 1 of 5
My mom bought me a new 80$ electric guitar for christmas, and so far I'm loving it. I play about 3 hours a day, and me and my friends are starting a band, but my guitar is falling apart. I goes out of tune ever 20 minutes, and makes a nasty cracking noise when it does. some of the frets are warn down and buzz all the time, and only one of the pick-ups work right. The guitar I was looking at was a epiphone les paul standard limited edition, that I was planing on with my own money. But whenever the subject comes up she just says "whats wrong with the one you got?" I explain to her, but she doesn't get it. Any help?
buy it behind her back

You love me.
Accept it.

Another "My Gear Sig":
Guitars
'07 Fender Strat Highway One Model
Taylor 214ce
Amps
Egnater Rebel 20
Egnater Rebel 112X
Fender Frontman 15 Watt
Other Stuff
Like 6 Monster Cables
Digitech RP350
Punch her in the taint.

All kidding aside, blow her.
"I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a PART of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect." - George Carlin
Quote by thefailboat
My mom bought me a new 80$ electric guitar for christmas, and so far I'm loving it. I play about 3 hours a day, and me and my friends are starting a band, but my guitar is falling apart. I goes out of tune ever 20 minutes, and makes a nasty cracking noise when it does. some of the frets are warn down and buzz all the time, and only one of the pick-ups work right. The guitar I was looking at was a epiphone les paul standard limited edition, that I was planing on with my own money. But whenever the subject comes up she just says "whats wrong with the one you got?" I explain to her, but she doesn't get it. Any help?

Maybe tell her this and if she wont listen just break the other pickup so she has to let you buy a new guitar
Well, you could get a job
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Describe what's wrong with it. Point out that you've obviously shown dedication to guitar and it's time to move onto a 'real guitar', instead of a 'child's toy'. Explain how the electronics on it are dying and that the tuners won't hold tune and that it's starting to hold back your growth and learning of the instrument. Explain how upgrading it to make it playable would cost as much as buying a new guitar. Make sure that you sound grateful for the guitar she bought you, but that you've reached a point where a mid-level guitar is far more suited to your needs.

If that doesn't work, kick her down the stairs, conk her over the head with the cheap one and go buy the new one. Like she'll notice. I had a new guitar sitting out in my room for 5 months before my mom noticed I had a new guitar.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by Snapple
Well, you could get a job

He has the money to buy a new one already, what's a job got to do with this?
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
I couldn't buy it behind her back, I'm only 15 and I can't drive yet. The pick-ups arn't "broken" they just beyond the point that I'd use them. I don't think killing her would work... I don't think they let you bring guitars to jail.
I might just have to play standing up all the time, and wait until the strap holders break :/
Quote by STABxYOU
He has the money to buy a new one already, what's a job got to do with this?

I gotta be honest, i didnt read all of it

If it were me id just buy it anyway, not any point having money you cant use
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Get it on a good day where it'll stay in tune and working for one song. Learn and play a simple song she likes for her. Works for me to get a green light.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by Snapple
I gotta be honest, i didnt read all of it

If it were me id just buy it anyway, not any point having money you cant use

Not to be a twat, but how can you give on-topic advice if you don't even know what you're talking about? If you don't bother to read and get an understanding for the situation, why bother commenting? If you don't understand, you're much more likely to say something wrong, off topic or stupid... just saying...

Quote by thefailboat
I couldn't buy it behind her back, I'm only 15 and I can't drive yet. The pick-ups arn't "broken" they just beyond the point that I'd use them. I don't think killing her would work... I don't think they let you bring guitars to jail.

Maybe they'll let you use a synth and a computer like how Varg Vikernes kept making music in jail for murder and arson. From now on, neo-medieval ambient is your genre of choice.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by necrosis1193
Get it on a good day where it'll stay in tune and working for one song. Learn and play a simple song she likes for her. Works for me to get a green light.

haha great advice, I've had the same problem getting a new guitar from my old crappy beginner one. I walked for an hour to the music store(since I couldnt drive at the time) bought a case and a epiphone les paul custom then walked back home.

My mom asked me why did I buy a new one I started playing it and she noticed how buying a new one was better. Tell her only one pick up's works and it wont stay in tune and maybe she'll understand or you can always get a ride from a friend or something to get to the nearest music store and buy it behind her back. Good luck bud
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Peavey Vyper 30
Seagull S6 Spruce.

Guitars wanted:
1952'Telecaster Reissue.
Last edited by rocker20050 at Jul 3, 2009,
I know how you feel. Whenever I even talk about buying a new guitar I get that kind of ****. But I buy it anyway. >_>
Quote by necrosis1193

If the quote thing didn't work, it becuse its my first time using it... anyways, thats a good idea execpt that my mom doesn't like music. I'm not kidding eather, I've never ever seen her listen to music
Last edited by thefailboat at Jul 3, 2009,
Quote by STABxYOU
Describe what's wrong with it. Point out that you've obviously shown dedication to guitar and it's time to move onto a 'real guitar', instead of a 'child's toy'. Explain how the electronics on it are dying and that the tuners won't hold tune and that it's starting to hold back your growth and learning of the instrument. Explain how upgrading it to make it playable would cost as much as buying a new guitar. Make sure that you sound grateful for the guitar she bought you, but that you've reached a point where a mid-level guitar is far more suited to your needs.

If that doesn't work, kick her down the stairs, conk her over the head with the cheap one and go buy the new one. Like she'll notice. I had a new guitar sitting out in my room for 5 months before my mom noticed I had a new guitar.

^ +1 also try and relate it to something relevant to her ie if she is a painter then she understands how good paint effects her art or how cheap makeup make girls look like **** also take learn some good sole or riff take her into a music shop with you and let her hear and see the difference. If that dont work let her see this thread.
My Gear
03' MIM SunBurst Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard With Lace Alumitones
Epiphone PeeWee Les Paul
Starcaster By Fender
B-52 AT-112
Amplitube: Metal, Jimi Hendrix, Fender
Boss DS-1

Fav Bands: RHCP, Led Zep, ACDC, BLS, Slipknot
Last edited by a500n54 at Jul 3, 2009,
Man up and buy the guitar with your own money and if i were you id think about buying a new amp also because im pretty positive that your current one sucks.who cares what she says its your money if music is every thing for you(i kow it is for me)then my mother simplyy telling me im crazy would for sure not stop me from buy new gear if i had the money!!!
Possibly take your guitar and your mother to the music store, plug into an amp, and play, then pick up the guitar you want, plug that one in and play, and let her hear the difference and show her the differences in quality.

Parents are always a problem because of the "What's wrong with what you have now?" mentality. It's difficult to persuade them because unless someone actually plays guitar, it's hard to understand why some are worth $1000 more than others when they look like they could do the same thing.

Most parents have no understanding of what "fret buzz", or "action" is or understand how pickups would make a guitar sound any better. Couple that with them not understanding that build quality can impact your playing, and there's your problem.

The only thing you can do is either buy it behind her back by going with a friend or relative, or show her why you need a new one and why this one is better.
My Gear
Marshall MG10 + Digitech RP350 multi-fx
Dean ZX
B52 AT-100
MXR 10-Band EQ Pedal
ESP LTD KH-Ouija Sig
Quote by thefailboat
I don't think they let you bring guitars to jail.

not true, but i'd still suggest against killing your mom.

basically if you can't convince her by telling her whats wrong with it, you might be kind of ****ed. my mom always gave me the dirty looks when she drove me to guitar center, but she let me do it mostly because i was spending my own money anyway...
Quote by STABxYOU

If that doesn't work open it up and cut up some of the wires, and tell her is won't work at all.

Fixed
Quote by Rhoads_1096
Fixed

I'd just cut the ground wire. That's enough to make anyone think the guitar's dead.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
seriously break it. thats what i do. do it slowly, like kill the tone knob first, then pull out one of the pickups, then kill the volume knob so you cant change volume. do this over the space of 2 weeks and she wont expect it. i did this with my squier bullet and she got me a tradition telecaster. pretty good upgrade.
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Quote by primusclaypool1
seriously break it. thats what i do. do it slowly, like kill the tone knob first, then pull out one of the pickups, then kill the volume knob so you cant change volume. do this over the space of 2 weeks and she wont expect it. i did this with my squier bullet and she got me a tradition telecaster. pretty good upgrade.

NICE!

Ibanez. not epiphone. Ibanez. Better guitars for the bucks.

But seriously, take her to the nearest guitar store, plug yours into an amp, play a riff on it, take the guitar that you want and plug it in, than play the same riff. If she doesn't see the difference, than I'm sorry, bro.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Jul 3, 2009,
If you're desperate, break it. Nothing too obvious, I say hit the piss out of your pickups with a hammer, until they're out of commission, and DON'T mention that a guitar's pickups can be changed. Does your guitar have a trem? More than likely, do something nuts with it to break it. Sadly I must recommend performing a Herman Li move.

What's so wrong about buying a guitar behind her back with YOUR money? When I did that with my JEM my dad was proud, he was a little shocked that I spent that much money on a guitar but he was still proud for working my arse off for something I wanted. Parents these days...
FIGHT MY BRUTE!
Quote by Tackleberry
Only time Ive seen a true single coil in a chrome humbucker housing was chinese knock off where they claimed it was a humbucker but half the housing was empty.
Haha, it's things like this that make me realize how lucky I was. My first electric guitar was a $600 Epiphone, and my dad got it for me for Christmas. I guess it's because he's a guitar player too. And just recently he drove me 50 miles out of town so I could buy one off of craigslist.

What you COULD try is just upgrading your current one instead, she might be more happy with that. If you have enough money for an Epiphone Les Paul, you should have more than enough for refretting, new pickups, etc.
you could have sex with 10 chicks for 60 bucks each
5 fat chicks for 120 bucks each
or 1 really fat chick for 600 bucks, either way u got 600 bucks and some std's
Washburn / Boogiestreet guitars boogiebolt 2 w/ blackouts
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
squier bullet w/ebony board
ibanez weeping demon
Oh sry, wrong thread
Washburn / Boogiestreet guitars boogiebolt 2 w/ blackouts
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
squier bullet w/ebony board
ibanez weeping demon
Quote by GuitarGod9876
buy it behind her back

This is what I did for so much of my gear when my parents were convinced that ME buying MYSELF gear would be a waste of MY money. Its like its my money! So Id just come home with a new amp one day and claim that I didnt ask for a receipt or had thrown it away.

All these things that you've pointed out to us (the intonation issues etc.) Point them out to your mom, if it doesnt work, go with the above mentioned plan.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

I was just having this conversation with my parents (about an Epi LP Standard ironically) and my mom didn't get that my Squier isn't exactly what we would call a high quality instrument (they also didn't get the fact that different guitars have different sounds). I couldn't exactly get the point across until they found out my little brother's trombone is gonna cost over $1k. Then my dad pointed out that my trumpet is worth over $1k as well, and his was, when taking inflation into account, over $3k. We had also been talking about how you get what you pay for earlier in the day as well.

Now, do you have any family members/family friends who play an instrument? Strings, piano, winds? If you do, have them help you out with this. If you somehow can help her to understand just how expensive musical instruments are, and subsequently help her understand that just like anything else in the world, you get what you pay for, then I think you'll have yourself a pretty good chance at getting yourself that Epi.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Jul 3, 2009,
Quote by thefailboat

Pickups don't "break" - quit whining you ungrateful brat.

This thread disgusts me, full of nothing but spoilt ingrates.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Natrone
I was just having this conversation with my parents (about an Epi LP Standard ironically) and my mom didn't get that my Squier isn't exactly what we would call a high quality instrument (they also didn't get the fact that different guitars have different sounds). I couldn't exactly get the point across until they found out my little brother's trombone is gonna cost over $1k. Then my dad pointed out that my trumpet is worth over $1k as well, and his was, when taking inflation into account, over $3k. We had also been talking about how you get what you pay for earlier in the day as well.

Now, do you have any family members/family friends who play an instrument? Strings, piano, winds? If you do, have them help you out with this. If you somehow can help her to understand just how expensive musical instruments are, and subsequently help her understand that just like anything else in the world, you get what you pay for, then I think you'll have yourself a pretty good chance at getting yourself that Epi.

+1!

I have an uncle that plays guitar too, so when I got in the discussion with my mom, and she said that 'a starcaster is just as good as any other guitar,' I was like, call uncle david, he'll tell you that an Ibanez is better than a starcaster. so that's why I'm getting a new guitar! my moms paying for half.

Flippedit:
Quote by steven seagull
Pickups don't "break" - quit whining you ungrateful brat.

This thread disgusts me, full of nothing but spoilt ingrates.

I love the guitars that you have, I'd be glad to have almost any of those. you can't be calling us spoiled just cause he wants a new guitar and we're trying to give advice! Stop being a dick and go to the pit if you wanna be like that.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Jul 3, 2009,
tell her your guitar will break and possibly hurt you while you're playing it.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by Natrone

I agree with some of this. Honestly, it's not always you get what you pay for. Look at Gibson, some of their guitars are garbage, but because it has Gibson on the headstock it's priced high. Sometimes you get what you pay for, but not all the time.
Quote by Natrone

I agree. If your mom is one of those people who only appreciates classical music (actually it doesn't really matter), remind her that guitars are one of the cheapest instruments you can buy. Tell her that saxophones can cost over 50K, and there are violins that are over 500K. Make her grateful that you're choosing a cheapo instrument
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by STABxYOU
I'd just cut the ground wire. That's enough to make anyone think the guitar's dead.

I was going to say that but most people don't know what that is.
Quote by Royal_Brick
I agree. If your mom is one of those people who only appreciates classical music (actually it doesn't really matter), remind her that guitars are one of the cheapest instruments you can buy. Tell her that saxophones can cost over 50K, and there are violins that are over 500K. Make her grateful that you're choosing a cheapo instrument

That's how I got my mom. She used to play the violin and she had a $10k violin. I told her to be grateful that you can get near top of the line quality guitars for at max $5k (excluding the real expensive vintage stuff etc)
maybe you're not from a rich family, and that guitar $ is actually going into savings for next month's food bills... then youy shouldn't buy a new guitar and stick with you existing one. Not everyone is born with a silver spoon.. but if you're rich, i don't see why not? your shiny plasma TV easily cost 10x that
Ibanez RG1570 (2009)
VOX Valvetronix VT15
I'm a freshie here~ PM me tips
Quote by Guitar2theface
That's how I got my mom. She used to play the violin and she had a $10k violin. I told her to be grateful that you can get near top of the line quality guitars for at max $5k (excluding the real expensive vintage stuff etc)

that violin now probably costs $13K. i'm a pianist turned violinist turned guitarist.
Ibanez RG1570 (2009)
VOX Valvetronix VT15
I'm a freshie here~ PM me tips
Page 1 of 5