Page 1 of 2
Donovant22
587 IQ
Please, don't take this the wrong way punk fans, and don't think I'm insulting you.

I've noticed talking with a lot of fans of punk that they have this superiority complex. They think because they listen to punk and have certain views that everyone else is in some way inferior if they don't. Not saying everyone, or even most, but I get this vibe off of a lot of people.

I've also noticed there's a lot of snobbery in regards to other music genres (and even the same genre, when arguing about what is and isn't punk, but let's not get into that please). There's a general disdain between Punk and Metal, saying one is better than the other constantly, but it seems a lot worse with punk fans.

I think it's probably just because it's something that a lot of people really love so they get crazy over it. I just feel people need to take it a little less seriously. I've seen more name calling and hateful things said about fans of certain bands (namely Green Day) just because they don't like them and it's really not that big a deal. Music should be about being bringing people together, not driving them apart.

*I apologize in advance for any horrible arguments that will start from this thread and to any people that think I'm pretentious, because I'm sure I come off that way.*
GangsterLi
Wake Up The Sleepers!
3,253 IQ
Quote by Donovant22
Please, don't take this the wrong way punk fans, and don't think I'm insulting you.

I've noticed talking with a lot of fans of punk that they have this superiority complex. They think because they listen to punk and have certain views that everyone else is in some way inferior if they don't. Not saying everyone, or even most, but I get this vibe off of a lot of people.

I've also noticed there's a lot of snobbery in regards to other music genres (and even the same genre, when arguing about what is and isn't punk, but let's not get into that please). There's a general disdain between Punk and Metal, saying one is better than the other constantly, but it seems a lot worse with punk fans.

I think it's probably just because it's something that a lot of people really love so they get crazy over it. I just feel people need to take it a little less seriously. I've seen more name calling and hateful things said about fans of certain bands (namely Green Day) just because they don't like them and it's really not that big a deal. Music should be about being bringing people together, not driving them apart.

*I apologize in advance for any horrible arguments that will start from this thread and to any people that think I'm pretentious, because I'm sure I come off that way.*

fair enough, but i dont think its just punk fans (me for one) i think it would just depend on the people. ive met many metal fans who are "metal rules, everything else can suck my dick" and many rave, rnb and hip hop fans who think their taste is superior.
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
pwninator123
Just Mottin my Hoople
1,438 IQ
fully agreed, been preaching this message out loud for years

acceptance folks! and just remember, it all ties back to Hymns and Folk music
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
gnaraaron
tig 'ol bitties
420 IQ
i totally agree with you, i used to be big into punk and i kind of was the way your talking about, but once i got into blues and stuff i just looked back and realized that i was just being a dick about music. now i barely listen to much punk (mainly just iggy pop) and spread my musical horizons and i can look at a lot of punk fans and notice that same mindset i used to have.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Donovant22
587 IQ
The reason I got into punk is because it talks about real things (usually) and is grounded in reality. Maybe being grounded in reality means that the people are the best representatives of real people.
Donovant22
587 IQ
Quote by werty22
Yeah, but does it really matter?

I think it does. Music should be a community, not a social club where only a certain amount of people can, or want to join.
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
Quote by Donovant22
The reason I got into punk is because it talks about real things (usually) and is grounded in reality. Maybe being grounded in reality means that the people are the best representatives of real people.

That's stupid. Lots of genres of music are "grounded in reality." That second sentence... What are you even talking about?
Quote by Donovant22
I think it does. Music should be a community, not a social club where only a certain amount of people can, or want to join.

Yeah, but it's not like you're going to change anything by making a thread pointing out the obvious. There are always going to be snobs and elitists everywhere. Deal with it.
Last edited by werty22 at Jul 3, 2009,
Donovant22
587 IQ
Quote by werty22
That's stupid. Lots of genres of music are "grounded in reality." That second sentence... What are you even talking about?

It made a lot of sense in my head. I guess I was saying because it is a realistic music style, the fans of it would be more "real".

I should probably shut up now...
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
Yeah, you should. P0nx are just as pretentious as anyone else.
Donovant22
587 IQ
Quote by werty22
Yeah, you should. P0nx are just as pretentious as anyone else.

That's where we disagree, you say it's not different than anywhere else, whereas I think it's more prevalent here than in other things.
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
I think if you hung out with some metalheads, classic rock fans, or indie kids for a while, you'd see that there are a lot of elitists among them too. Maybe not so many with mainstream rap, pop, rock, or country fans.

Anyway, I'm not going to continue this because I feel like a douchebag for even acknowledging it.
Last edited by werty22 at Jul 3, 2009,
webbtje
Banned
2,567 IQ
I love that he says punk is pretentious on a site full of elitist metalheads. Of which I am one.
Donovant22
587 IQ
Metal fans are pretty nasty too, but I'd still contend punk fans are worse about it.
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt
4,159 IQ
Nope they're all equally snobby.

I mean I HATE YOU AND THE MUSIC YOU LIKE!
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
StreetLight3989
1,950 IQ
There's a lot of snobbery in punk, but for the most part it's a pretty accepting scene. Like RockThe40oz said, it comes with the territory of any alternative culture. I've brought friends to shows that know nothing about punk and they don't feel uncomfortable at all. I think it really all depends on what kind of punk you're talking about too. Even somebody like me who's into a lot of punk would probably get looked at funny at a street punk show. I don't know, I don't think punk is any worse than any other subcultures.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
charliezard!
1,337 IQ
Quote by StreetLight3989
I've brought friends to shows that know nothing about punk and they don't feel uncomfortable at all.

Same here. But you (TS) have a huge habit of preaching to everybody in this forum, and telling everyone that you know everything about punk rock. (Your thread on the 'definition' of punk and how you know it more than anyone else, the fit you threw after your threads were closed, the other fit you threw about how punk is dead, your need to point out that Blondie isn't punk, and the billions of posts you've made about who is punk and who isn't)

It gets annoying, and you're likely to get a lot of people arguing with you. There's no more snobbery in punk rock than there is anywhere else, but you'll get a lot posting like you do.
Last edited by charliezard! at Jul 3, 2009,
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
Quote by charliezard!
Same here. But you (TS) have a huge habit of preaching to everybody in this forum, and telling everyone that you know everything about punk rock. (Your thread on the 'definition' of punk and how you know it more than anyone else, the fit you threw after your threads were closed, the other fit you threw about how punk is dead, your need to point out that Blondie isn't punk, and the billions of posts you've made about who is punk and who isn't)

It gets annoying, and you're likely to get a lot of people arguing with you. There's no more snobbery in punk rock than there is anywhere else, but you'll get a lot posting like you do.

whyvern
jet skis on the reg
3,296 IQ
punks are better than everyone else... 'nuff said
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
RiotRiotUpstart
UG's jock punk
256 IQ
You all suck and the only acceptable music is what I deem to be punk.

I'm not in it for the music, I'm in it for the elitism.

sargasm
1977 and we are going mad
1,817 IQ
you're not punk and I'm telling everyone

wait... is it still cool to say that?
Donovant22
587 IQ
Okay, here's my official apology to the punk forum:

I'm sorry for being such a d-bag. I don't mean to. I'm not trying to preach or tell other people I know everything about punk. Because I don't. I'm, what you'd say, the biggest poser around. The only reason I like music at all is because of Guitar Hero (I know, you should never listen to me ever again because of that)
BR0KENHEARTED
Banned
1,074 IQ
But it is true. Punx are better than everyone else.

And if Blondie isn't punk then I don't know what is.
charliezard!
1,337 IQ
Quote by Donovant22
Okay, here's my official apology to the punk forum:

I'm sorry for being such a d-bag. I don't mean to. I'm not trying to preach or tell other people I know everything about punk. Because I don't. I'm, what you'd say, the biggest poser around. The only reason I like music at all is because of Guitar Hero (I know, you should never listen to me ever again because of that)

Quote by Donovant22
Just look at a picture of me. It's sad enough.

Stop it!

People are dicks. It's the internet and it doesn't matter. Don't be offended. You don't have to apologize.
Donovant22
587 IQ
I guess I'm only fit to be in the emo forum. I'm not good enough for punk.
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie
7,782 IQ
I've noticed talking with a lot of fans of punk that they have this superiority complex. They think because they listen to punk and have certain views that everyone else is in some way inferior if they don't.

I feel sorry for people who don't like punk music because they have no balls and soul? How can you not respond to that glorious sound. When people can't handle the excitement and crawl back to their predictable f*cking sh*t music I think less of them for it.

As for views, I'm a pretty even-minded character, and always see things through other peoples' eyes, which confirms that I'm right and they're thick f*cking retards. Enjoy your gay-ass mortgage, spoiled kids and unappealing wife, retard!

I have zero regard for Metal on the ground that it is musically predictable. There'll be a gay little powerchord riff, stupid drumming, and maybe even a modal clean section with too much boss chorus. The heavyness doesn't interest or move me one bit, whereas I like the rawness and jagged unpredictability of punk. I do like metal that thinks outside of the box however, eg. Alestorm, who do PIRATE metal, which is actually vaguely interesting.

Also, have you noticed that metal drummers, aka Lars Ulrich fanboys can't play punk drums for ****, even though it's little more than a standard beat souped up a bit? How ****ing retarded can you be? The same goes for metal guitarists, who generally consider themselves the dogs' bollocks but can't do anything vaguely simple like transpose a riff or play a solo that goes anywhere.

I think it's probably just because it's something that a lot of people really love so they get crazy over it. I just feel people need to take it a little less seriously.

I can't speak for everyone here but I'm a useless layabout with no prospects and no personality; music is all I have. Therefore, how can it not be a matter of life and death?

I've seen more name calling and hateful things said about fans of certain bands (namely Green Day) just because they don't like them and it's really not that big a deal. Music should be about being bringing people together, not driving them apart.

My only problem with these pussy fusion bands is that the fans think they're the real deal, but they're not. They're regular boring and inoffensive lame people who can handle an extremely diluted version of punk. If people get into Green Day and the like and use that as a bridge to punk with actual integrity and values, then good. If they like the punk-lite bands and don't go anywhere, then f*ck them.

I don't think you're pretentious, I think that you're slightly misguided because you don't understand how serious punk fans feel about their lifeline.
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie
7,782 IQ
Sorry for the double post here.

Basically, what this whole thing comes down to me, is that punk is supposed to be head music, and when people bastardise it into body music that f*cking plebians can enjoy, then it's ruined.

Body music may be electronic dance, pop punk or gay-ass metal. A lot of body music is escapist, or deals with teenagers' problems, a group of society in which 95% are REALLY stupid.
TMF128
Custom User Title:
4,389 IQ
Quote by Donovant22

You just perfectly described Fat Mike there.

And you are hearing this from a NOFX fan (and I am agreeing with you.)
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Donovant22
587 IQ
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I feel sorry for people who don't like punk music because they have no balls and soul? How can you not respond to that glorious sound. When people can't handle the excitement and crawl back to their predictable f*cking sh*t music I think less of them for it.

As for views, I'm a pretty even-minded character, and always see things through other peoples' eyes, which confirms that I'm right and they're thick f*cking retards. Enjoy your gay-ass mortgage, spoiled kids and unappealing wife, retard!

I have zero regard for Metal on the ground that it is musically predictable. There'll be a gay little powerchord riff, stupid drumming, and maybe even a modal clean section with too much boss chorus. The heavyness doesn't interest or move me one bit, whereas I like the rawness and jagged unpredictability of punk. I do like metal that thinks outside of the box however, eg. Alestorm, who do PIRATE metal, which is actually vaguely interesting.

Also, have you noticed that metal drummers, aka Lars Ulrich fanboys can't play punk drums for ****, even though it's little more than a standard beat souped up a bit? How ****ing retarded can you be? The same goes for metal guitarists, who generally consider themselves the dogs' bollocks but can't do anything vaguely simple like transpose a riff or play a solo that goes anywhere.

I think it's probably just because it's something that a lot of people really love so they get crazy over it. I just feel people need to take it a little less seriously.

I can't speak for everyone here but I'm a useless layabout with no prospects and no personality; music is all I have. Therefore, how can it not be a matter of life and death?

I've seen more name calling and hateful things said about fans of certain bands (namely Green Day) just because they don't like them and it's really not that big a deal. Music should be about being bringing people together, not driving them apart.

My only problem with these pussy fusion bands is that the fans think they're the real deal, but they're not. They're regular boring and inoffensive lame people who can handle an extremely diluted version of punk. If people get into Green Day and the like and use that as a bridge to punk with actual integrity and values, then good. If they like the punk-lite bands and don't go anywhere, then f*ck them.

I don't think you're pretentious, I think that you're slightly misguided because you don't understand how serious punk fans feel about their lifeline.

I'm a serious punk fan too. Maybe I don't understand how other fans feel, but that's how I do.

And saying Green Day is inoffensive is funny, because people are offended by them all the time. American Idiot was constantly berated because they said it was unamerican (which it wasn't) and they couldn't even sell their latest album at Wal-Mart because it was apparently offensive to them.
Donovant22
587 IQ
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Sorry for the double post here.

Basically, what this whole thing comes down to me, is that punk is supposed to be head music, and when people bastardise it into body music that f*cking plebians can enjoy, then it's ruined.

Body music may be electronic dance, pop punk or gay-ass metal. A lot of body music is escapist, or deals with teenagers' problems, a group of society in which 95% are REALLY stupid.

That might be the best way I've heard it explained. Not that I agree, but it was very well explained. I'd never quite understood what the real issue was before.

Why can't it be both though?
Last edited by Donovant22 at Jul 3, 2009,
Ir a+infinitive
Nine Inch P3n15
1,965 IQ
grunge FTW...kthnxbai
Quote by herby190
When I saw that, I thought of musical notes.... my elementary school teachers taught them as "tee-tees" "ta-tas" and a bunch of other nonsense....
Donovant22
587 IQ
Hmm.....Maybe I should get a life and stop trying to argue with people online about Music and actually go live my life and not give a crap what anyone else thinks........

......I think I just got it.
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie
7,782 IQ
Quote by Donovant22
And saying Green Day is inoffensive is funny, because people are offended by them all the time. American Idiot was constantly berated because they said it was unamerican (which it wasn't) and they couldn't even sell their latest album at Wal-Mart because it was apparently offensive to them.

Conservative Americans aren't exactly hard to offend. Anyone living with a set of up-to-date and reasonable moral codes is not going to find Green Day offensive.

That might be the best way I've heard it explained. Not that I agree, but it was very well explained. I'd never quite understood what the real issue was before.

Why can't it be both though?

Music could be considered to have both 'body' and 'head' aspects, but because these distinctions have an opposing set of attributes it's difficult to stay on the line skillfully. If you look at Green Day's newer stuff, it might seem sophisticated if you're 12 years old, or a regular person, but to anyone of reasonable intelligence and insight into the topics they discuss it's embarrassingly lightweight.

If you want a REALLY good example of watered down head music, look no further than Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Because Roger Waters is a sh*t lyricist, thick people smoke a doobie and listen to the record and think that they're profound and intellectual. It's still basically just musical drekk, but it has a few innovations along the way. (EDIT, which is why, y'know it stayed in the charts for 723 or so weeks!)

Quote by Donovant22
Hmm.....Maybe I should get a life and stop trying to argue with people online about Music and actually go live my life and not give a crap what anyone else thinks........

......I think I just got it.

You could do that, or you could leave the comfort of your cave and learn to appreciate things based on more than just their face value alone.
Last edited by BrianApocalypse at Jul 3, 2009,