My only mic I have is a Shure SM57 and I'm curious if I should try to get something else for the vocals since even screaming into a condenser mic such as it barely records the vocals.

Also any tips on removing harsh syllables? What I mean is like when a lyric ends with a p or it will sometimes sound like I blew into the mic.

I tried simple household type things like a thin dress sock, but then that makes me sound very muffled.

Would I honestly be better off with a wal-mart mic for vocals?
use a pop filter,you can get one or make your own if you are good with the tools
Fender Stratocaster,Yamaha ERG 121 and 5 other random low budget acoustics
Quote by MegaDTSX
Also any tips on removing harsh syllables? What I mean is like when a lyric ends with a p or it will sometimes sound like I blew into the mic.

For future reference, these are called plosives.
alright so here's what we do. walmart "brand" mics, are actually first act mics usually, and believe it or not, they don't make all low-dollar stuff. their mics aren't horrible. 2nd pop filters are expensive, but if you take a hanger, and stretch either moms tights, or a dress sock over the hanger, it usually makes a decent pop filter.
Thanks for the responses already guys.

So the cheap route: Twist a hanger up and stretch a dress sock over it and get a Wal-mart mic :p
Quote by MegaDTSX
My only mic I have is a Shure SM57 and I'm curious if I should try to get something else for the vocals since even screaming into a condenser mic such as it barely records the vocals.

..what?
You like it
Quote by linus.d
..what?

*whispers* he doesn't have a preamp!

Seriously dude if you've bought a condensor don't be cheap and get a preamp or mixer or SOMETHING with phantom power. It's like you're complaining about electric guitars not being loud because you're not using an amp...
take a clothes hanger and bend it in a circle and take panty hose from your girlfriend in the 80's and put it over that. Free pop filter.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Quote by tr3nt
take a clothes hanger and bend it in a circle and take panty hose from your girlfriend in the 80's and put it over that. Free pop filter.

Or you could just spend the $10?
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Quote by DiveRightIn63
Or you could just spend the $10?

They are about $20 and you didn't consider I live about $30 in gas away from the nearest store that would have one, and I'd rather not pay $10 for shipping a $20 item.

Think mang, think.

Besides DIY is always fun.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Quote by tr3nt
They are about $20 and you didn't consider I live about $30 in gas away from the nearest store that would have one, and I'd rather not pay $10 for shipping a $20 item.

Think mang, think.

Besides DIY is always fun.

Haha, well mine was a cheapy, but works fine.

TS, "since even screaming into a condenser mic such as it barely records the vocals." What does that mean?
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Free > $30
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by willieturnip
Free > $30

But ****ty quality < proper quality.

He even said he tried making one and it didn't work.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...