Hello again. As some of you may or may not know, I've been working on the guts of my guitar for the past couple of days. I've been mostly successful except for one thing: a bad ground connection. I know it's neither of the pickups' grounds 'cause there is buzz regardless of what pickup I'm using. With what little information I have for you, what would the most likely culprit be? The output? The ground to the bridge? There's also a ground wire on the the switch... I couldn't remember where that went when I disconnected everything, so I just connected it to the volume pot. Any ideas? Thanks!
Yes, they're all connected. However, because I suck at soldering, not all of them have the best "mechanical" connection simply because the wires are covered in solder. That shouldn't be a problem though, should it?
Do you "tin" your wires? If you don't, then when you strip the end of each wire, melt solder straight onto the end of the wire and let it hold the strands of wire together. Also melt solder onto anywhere that you are going to connect the wires to, before you do it, so that they have a bit of solder on before hand as well. Then, when you try to solder the two together they will connect much easier than if you didn't "tin" them.

But yeah, as long as things are connected and you can't just pull them loose, it shouldn't make a huge difference.
theirs a post here about shielding. lets see if i can find it and post it here.

oh its pinned with lots of links to follow. just look for it.

"The ULTIMATE Guitar Wiring thread"
Last edited by BR0THERALEX at Jul 3, 2009,
Les Paul Ell: That is more or less what the process ends up becoming.

BR0THERALEX: Shielding shouldn't be a problem. Both pickups are humbuckers and I never had a buzz problem before. I also know for a fact that it's a ground problem.
Quote by Saminator
Les Paul Ell: That is more or less what the process ends up becoming.

BR0THERALEX: Shielding shouldn't be a problem. Both pickups are humbuckers and I never had a buzz problem before. I also know for a fact that it's a ground problem.

Do you have a multi meter?
You can easily check and isolate and dodgy solder joints using it.
Okay, excuse the noobish-ness, but how would I use a multimeter and what would I look for?