it depends...
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Session guitar players are supposed to cover alot of bases, to do whatever you want them to I think. So compared to an average band guitar player, they probably are alot more versatile, depending on the style of music your band guitarist plays.
Quote by Hereiwas
it depends...
That it does.

Generally, session players tend to be more well-rounded, able to cover all ground, while a guitar player in a band will focus on whatever genre into which his/her band fits. Also, it's more common to find theoretically fluent session players, as getting work demands that they can read sheet music quickly and efficiently, and solo appropriately over whatever vibe and progression they get.
Most session players I´ve met are far better than the average band member.
Look at Seth in Behemoth. He's a session player for 3 albums now, plays and tours live, and still isn't a full official member of the band. He switches between lead and rhythm with Darski all the time so I would say he's just as good a player as Adam is.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Quote by Vlasco
Most session players I´ve met are far better than the average band member.

This.

Most of the time the reason they're session players isn't because they're "not good enough" for a band/touring band, it's just because they don't want to do that.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
[n00b question:] what's a sesion player + band player? What's the difference?[/n00b]
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Jul 3, 2009,
Quote by SlayingDragons
[n00b question:] what's a sesion player + band player? What's the difference?[/n00b]

A session member may record an album with a band and may even go touring with the band.
A band member is officially in the band.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
session players are hired to record (usually) other people's songs, stand in at performances or accompany singers and such. Point is that they don't play their own songs.

And yeah, session players usually are very versatile, and are able to play very cleanly so to do as little takes as possible.
Last edited by Revhain at Jul 3, 2009,
Quote by leftyace
A session member may record an album with a band and may even go touring with the band.
A band member is officially in the band.

Oh... k. Thxs!
Fun fact of the day: Jimmy Page was a popular session player before he rose to fame
Session musicians are likely to be really technically proficient. Band members are more likely to be more creatively skilled, better songwriters.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Session musicians are practically the lifeblood of the Nashville country scene...