ok so i we recently changed our fireplace in my house and as a result i have some beautiful 2 inch planks of 40 yr old teak at my disposal and i was wondering whether i could build a nice sounding guitar out of it.i know its heavy and oily and hard to work with etc... but i dont know what it sounds like.anyone have any experience with it?

EDIT: iv just been informed tat it is actually Iroko not teak but it is very similar despite being a completely different species
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Last edited by Eggmond at Jul 3, 2009,
Quote by Eggmond
ok so i we recently changed our fireplace in my house and as a result i have some beautiful 2 inch planks of 40 yr old teak at my disposal and i was wondering whether i could build a nice sounding guitar out of it.i know its heavy and oily and hard to work with etc... but i dont know what it sounds like.anyone have any experience with it?

EDIT: iv just been informed tat it is actually Iroko not teak but it is very similar despite being a completely different species

Iroko is apparently good for necks, if that is any use to you (I seem to recall).
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Try it, what harm can it do besides waste some time?
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by bv310
Try it, what harm can it do besides waste some time?

True. I mean, it isnt some crap soft wood and it isnt Ply.

So whatever, will be as good as you make it. It will mainly be dependent on the pickups, so..whatever tone from the wood you get, will be free
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
I'm really hoping it sounds good, just because teak is a beautiful wood. If it sounds good too, then I know what I'm finding for my next build.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.