I'm thinking of just dropping the pick all together and just using my fingers for electric, any insight from anyone about it? Any one else? Famous players who do it, etc, etc.
that sounds like a stupid idea to do it completely unless you want to make it your gimmick. but i see no legit reason why you would want to drop it completely
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
I believe Dave Mustaine hybrid picks from time to time.
Quote by aldo47
(i thought hot strings would make me finger faster.)
so i tried to set my strings on fire by putting a lighter on the high e string n it cut it so wtf??!!? i passed the lighter rrly slowly by it for less then a sec n then it snapped...
I pick, but when i play Mark Knopfler stuff, I fingerpick, and I quite like it.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
mark knopfler never uses a pick
My gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B-52 LS100 Half Stack
Dunlop SW30 Slash Signature Wah
Digitech Hardwire CR-7 Stereo Chorus
Digitech Hardwire DL-8 Delay/Looper
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Fender CD220CE Acoustic
Yea Mark Knopfler finger picks everything
Quote by John Petrucci
When it comes to practicing, I would spend about 63 hours a day
Quote by Guitar2theface
Lots of guitarists hybrid pick, but I don't think anyone exclusively fingerpicks on a electric.

Again, Jeff Beck and Mark Knopfler.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Damn... I was going to be the music expert who knew the Mark Knopfler thing
Quote by Jaymz2K
Kidding, they hate you and want you to be miserable.

Also, Charmander.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
If I teach myself to cum on command with the word Jackpot... Won't make any bets, but I'll still be a winner.
Quote by Bowe
so wait... does PETA think all gay people are vegans?
Quote by Tabassco
Damn... I was going to be the music expert who knew the Mark Knopfler thing

LOL same
~Carl
mark knopfler, jeff beck, and me

that is excluding the legions of hybrid pickers
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
THere are guitar players who do (Other than Jeff Beck and the like who play with their thumb almost as if they were playing with a pick in many cases)

but there is a problem with it...

It's not what most people what to hear or see.

The same reason Classical players do not have the same mainstream popularity as, say, Slash for example.
Andrew York, Tommy Emannuel, etc, are all incredible musicians and they get their credit, but not the same amount as even the most mediocre guitar players (Jack White, for example. He is proficient but nothing spectacular)

Granted those guys play on acoustic guitars, but the abilities of your fingers will put you in the same place as them, except you'll be carrying an amp around with you.

Hybrid picking, however, is incredibly useful and not learning how to limits your playing a great deal. You would be surprised how many guitar players hybrid pick (for the most cliche example, "Smoke On The Water"'s main riff is actually finger picked when Ritchie Blackmore plays it)

so if you want to, go right ahead, more power to you and I'll have a great deal of respect for you, I just wanted to clarify why you do not see it as often.

It just simply is not what is looked for in guitar players, unless you are playing Classical or acoustic fingerstyl (Tommy Emannuel, Andy McKee, Michael Hedges, Don Ross, etc)
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
lol I'm not a huge metal guy, but even if I wanted to play metal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3BXyIrDA0o&NR=1

EDIT To above: I mostly like classical/blues/rock. I gotta say I like rock/prog rock a little more then the other 2, but I still love them all. But I haven't seen any rock players fingerpick.
Last edited by Dog-- at Jul 3, 2009,
Yay first person to say MK DOESN'T exclusively fingerpick, he said in an interview that he uses a pick for the rhythm work in albums, and admitted to always carrying a pick on him.
Quote by Zugunruhe
for some reason this post makes me suspect theres something horribly wrong with you.

not that thats a bad thing...

...dont kill me.
steve vai and joe satriani occasionaly, Greg Koch, BB King, a host of country players, the list is endless. even seasick steve

as someone as already stated finger picking and hybrid picking only add to your playing right hand techinique is just as important as left hand technique
Jeff Beck, Mark Knopfler and Derek Trucks are the best examples of fingerpicking on electric I can think of now.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by stevenpollock
that sounds like a stupid idea to do it completely unless you want to make it your gimmick. but i see no legit reason why you would want to drop it completely

It gives a completely different sound to fingerpicking. Using a pick, you get a brighter tone and a bit more 'power', but using fingerstyle, you get the pretty much opposite; warmer tone, gentler (but you can use your nails and get the same basic tone as a pick as well), with the added benefit of having a lot more control of what your playing.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I'm pretty sure A.J. Minette, formerly of the human abstract uses his fingers.
Quote by Morbidyeti
Yay first person to say MK DOESN'T exclusively fingerpick, he said in an interview that he uses a pick for the rhythm work in albums, and admitted to always carrying a pick on him.

Bingo. Pick for recording rhythm for albums, fingerpicking for pretty much everything else.
Quote by CarpUK
Beat the recession by soldering your strings back together! What's more, the extra metal vibrating back and forth will add to your tone... and what could be more metal than more metal!?!

Quote by biga29
Plz uz reel wurdz bcoz wen u tipe lik this its hard 2 red.
i use my fingers a lot. i dont know if it is the best idea to give up using a pick completly, but focusing on fingerpicking is fine. i prefer the tone i get from fingerpicking for a lot of stuff, much warmer and i feel more in control. using a pick always has its place though, so i wouldnt throw it away for good.