Hello, other users! I'm wondering what amp fits this description the most:

• Is a combo
  • Has tubes
  • Within $450 price range
  • Doesn't sound way processed or have that "modern" (aka crappy nu-metal) distortion
  • Decent for playing live and in the apartment

I like playing pop-punk, ska, new wave, pop-rock, and sometimes dabble with classic rock. I'm trying to avoid all those built-in effects that don't sound that good and probably won't ever be used. However, I would take built-in distortion with a footswitch if it doesn't sound like crap.

Can anyone out there point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Laney AOR 50w.
Sovtek MIG50.
Peavey Classic 30.
Peavey VTM 120.
Peavey Ultra 60.
Line 6 Vetta.
why do you want tubes? don't get them just because other people say "dem t00bz are da b0m8!1!!" for $450 you'll struggle to get any good tubes at power that'll suit you live.

Your options at 450 are really a peavey valveking, which is probably a bit high-gained for you (i personally dislike the overdrive on it) or some small 5w jobby like an ht-5 or epi valve junior, which won't do live really unless you properly mic it.

either save up more or be willing to not get a good sound with tubes or get a decent non-modelling solid state.

EDIT: i misestimated the conversion rate of £ to $ (i'm about a year ouut of date it seems it's no longer $450 = £250) i also forgot how much cheaper the US is.

a peavey classic would suit you quite nice
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Jul 3, 2009,
^ XD do you know how loud a 30 watt tube amp is? Theres plenty of 20-50 watt tube amps in his price range that kick ass at rock.

Edit: Saw your edit >_> Didn't mean to be an ass..
At that price you will have to go used if you want a good amp, try trolling your local clist for good deals
no worries it was me that was the idiot

5w doesn't really roll it live i find :p
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by Sguit
At that price you will have to go used if you want a good amp, try trolling your local clist for good deals

Yeah I've been searching on it... A bunch of crap so far. Haha
I don't worry too much about the live volume, because I can always mic the amp. I just want to be heard over drums without sound distorted from cranking the volume past what it can handle. And I am hoping to buy used as well!
I would give Blackheart a try, specifically the 15W model.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackheart-BH15-112-Handsome-Devil-Series-15W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-483097-i1400400.gc

Not so much power you can't crank it up indoors and I think it just might be what you are looking for tonally. I have limited experience at this point and others are probably a better source of information, but I can say I was impressed by the one I played on at a local store.
Quote by AJDrac
I would give Blackheart a try, specifically the 15W model.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackheart-BH15-112-Handsome-Devil-Series-15W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-483097-i1400400.gc

Not so much power you can't crank it up indoors and I think it just might be what you are looking for tonally. I have limited experience at this point and others are probably a better source of information, but I can say I was impressed by the one I played on at a local store.

I'll have to check that out! I didn't see one at the Guitar Center in my city though.
Thanks!
Quote by WhatIfThis
I'll have to check that out! I didn't see one at the Guitar Center in my city though.
Thanks!

GC doesn't care them in stores, you may have to try a different shop at least to play on them. On the bright side, it's right at your price range. There is also a mini-stack version if you are interested, but as you specifically mentioned combo is a prereq I would assume not.

Good luck with whatever you end up with!