Page 1 of 2
A thread to admire the sheer talent of these two excellent film makers. Fargo, Blood Simple, No Country For Old Men, Barton Fink, The Big Lebowski...these guys are the best film makers of our time IMO.

So what are your favourite Coen Bros. movies? Mines is either Fargo or the Big Lebowski
so overrated. No Country For Old Men was just weird. The movie would have been over if the damn idiot didnt go back to go give the Mexican some water.
Quote by Myfirstpubes
so overrated. No Country For Old Men was just weird. The movie would have been over if the damn idiot didnt go back to go give the Mexican some water.

That's where all stories start, some stupid little thing like that to get the ball rolling. Think of all your favourite movies. How many of those movies only take place when the main character hangs behind for a minute or two waiting for somebody and they see something they shouldn't?

It's a classic plot device, I'd quit being so elitist about it if I were you. No Country For Old Men was fantastic.

EDIT: Kudos by the way LP, the Coen Bros. are awesome filmakers. I loved The Big Lebowski.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Last edited by dgme92 at Jul 3, 2009,
Barton Fink, Big Lebowski, Fargo, and Raising Arizona are awesome

also, my old english teacher's college friend lived in the town where they filmed Big L
when they tore down the bowling alley, the owner gave his friend all the old memorabilia, including the bowling ball
Last edited by TheReverend724 at Jul 3, 2009,
Quote by dgme92
EDIT: Kudos by the way LP, the Coen Bros. are awesome filmakers. I loved The Big Lebowski.

The Big Lebowski is genius. Walter is a legend
I don't know about No Country For Old Men. I think its overrated. Some would call me a dumb-ass for "not understanding the true deeper meaning of the movie", and others would call those people pretentious. I just don't like the movie that much. The acting is great, the suspenseful scenes are marvellous, but I just dont like how the movie is set up. Sure, go ahead and call me a slave to Hollywood movies, but thats just baloney too.
I liked Big Lebowski, Fargo, and O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Raising Arizona was a bit average, and I haven't seen Miller's Crossing yet.

Oh, No Country For Old Men was good too.
Last edited by filthandfury at Jul 3, 2009,
i havent heard of any of those films.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Quote by Jehuty
I don't know about No Country For Old Men. I think its overrated. Some would call me a dumb-ass for "not understanding the true deeper meaning of the movie", and others would call those people pretentious. I just don't like the movie that much. The acting is great, the suspenseful scenes are marvellous, but I just dont like how the movie is set up. Sure, go ahead and call me a slave to Hollywood movies, but thats just baloney too.

Thats interesting, did you read the book first?
Quote by 4evermetal
Burn After Reading f*cking sucked

I absolutely loved that movie Brad Pitt's death scene is hilarious! Plus John Malkovich's acting is immense.
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
O Brother Where art Thou is one of my favourite films ever, and definitely my favourite Coen Brothers film. Barton Fink I loved too, but there was so much imagery and metaphors and what not that it just comfused the crap out of me. Once you understand it though, it's brilliant.

Quote by Badreligionrock
I absolutely loved that movie Brad Pitt's death scene is hilarious! Plus John Malkovich's acting is immense.

Man, Chad was the most like-able character and they wacked him before the movie was half over! Not impressed haha. And I'll give Malkovich that much, I usually can't stand him, but he was hilarious in it.

In the great scheme, i still think the movie was a pretentious crock of **** though
O Brother, Where Art Thou? is one of the most beautifully filmed movies of all time.

I know a lot of people didn't like it, but I enjoyed Burn After Reading. The fact that all the characters were just caricatures of themselves made everything absurd. But there were still enough laughs to keep me interested, despite the misleading commericals that marketed it solely as a comedy. I did feel for the guy who likes Linda though
Last edited by thewho65 at Jul 3, 2009,
The Hudsucker Proxy is one of my favourite Coen Brothers films but it never gets mentioned! But, my favourite is probably Fargo followed Miller's Crossing. Still...

the Hudsucker Proxy is awesome.
Quote by Myfirstpubes

Wow, I'm not the only No Country For Old Men hater
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
There's a sweet collection of some of their films out: http://www.amazon.com/Brothers-Collection-Millers-Crossing-Raising/dp/B000V3JGII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1264832318&sr=8-1

I agree, Miller's Crossing and the Hudsucker Proxy get overlooked and they're pretty awesome.

O Brother, Where art thou might be my favorite though, it's a tie with big lebowski.
The only good thing about Fargo was the wood chipper scene. The rest of it was awful and boring.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by GodofCheesecake
The only good thing about Fargo was the wood chipper scene. The rest of it was awful and boring.

I agree that's a great scene, but I liked the movie as a whole. Not as much as a handful of others though.
Nikolas
Oh Brother Where Art thou?

and

Burn After Reading
Quote by Mattron2000
Shadowenspirit,
Developmental Tamer.
Shadowenspirit,
Ancient Sandwich Crafter

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.

-Voltaire

So it is written.
Burn After Reading is my best friend and I's most quoted movie.

"You think that's a Schwinn"
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Tommy lee's opening monologue in No country is probably the best thing ever. Sometimes I feel the movie does drag on (after seeing it like 3 times) but it's still one of my favourites.
After my encounter with NCFOM (read my post earlier in this topic) I've recently seen Burn After Reading. I really enjoyed that movie. Pretty interesting seeing that I didn't really like No Country while a lot of people praise it, and that I hear a lot of critique on Burn After Reading, and I enjoyed that one a lot.

I am weird.
Quote by GodofCheesecake

It's one of their best IMO.
these guys are the best film makers of our time IMO.

Bit of an overstatement. There are many many more film makers just as good as the Coen brothers.

They own though.
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? was pure comedic genius and win and is one of my favorite movies.
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
Page 1 of 2