It's the Fourth of July tomorrow--or today, as the case may be, or yesterday, depending on when you read this.

So think for a minute, all you Yanks, about how damn awesome your country was when we declared independence in 1776, how awesome it still was in 1812 when Francis Scott Key penned the lyrics (The tune is adapted from a popular drinking song) and how its awesomeness has only died a little bit today. That last one wasn't terribly patriotic, but I'm an honest guy. Our country is one of the most free in the world. Enjoy it, eh?

And while you're at it, enjoy the song. It's my first recording with a pro-level mic, and, while I'm still learning the ropes with working pedals into recordings--this one was all done with a Boss MT-2--I think it turned out pretty well. It's Iced Earth's metal version, with all those neat harmonies. Bass and drums courtesy of the guitarpro file. I also added an acoustic doubling the rhythm guitar in there to lend it some punch.

Enough of my blathering. The song is in the profile.

Happy Independence Day. I'd really appreciate comments, but if you'd rather exercise your right to explode packets of gunpowder and glitter and dangerous homemade incendiary devices, I understand. I'll be doing the same thing.
Last edited by Wynterbite at Jul 3, 2009,
lol the percussion is really off sync. If it was in sync, that would be great.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
thanks for the crit.

The guitar work was mighty fine, great harmonies! Id say the only thing that bought it down a bit was as apak said, the percussion. it did seem pretty out of sync, so a little tweaking with that and you should be on yer way. Alternatively, im sure you can...acquire a decent drum programming software from somewhere, or you buy one if you have the funds!

look forward to hearing more
Hm--right you are! Hope I fixed it I really should've noticed that before! *smacks head*

Any recommendations for a good drum program? This synthesized version isn't bad, but it still sounds synthesized.
Last edited by Wynterbite at Jul 3, 2009,
Quote by Wynterbite
Hm--right you are! Hope I fixed it I really should've noticed that before! *smacks head*

Any recommendations for a good drum program? This synthesized version isn't bad, but it still sounds synthesized.

Battery 3 by Native Instruments is pretty good: it uses recorded drum sounds and is less synthesized sounding. However, your tracks will still sound like a drum machine (ie: they are too perfectly synchronized.) There are some things that you can do to change this, such as increasing the beats per minute on the midi track by 2 or so whenever it changes from verse to chorus, etc.

I have also heard that EZ Drummer by Toontrack is good, but I have never gotten the opportunity to use it, so I can't really say how it is.

No software program is as good as having a real drummer, but there are some nice ones out there that are pretty convincing.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Thanks, I'll check those out--Native Instruments is more pricey than I'm looking for right now, but maybe EZDrummer will work out.