Hey UG-community

I got a dilemma about what im gonna do for instrument.
Im playing guitar for about 8 months now (without lessons ) and im gonna play in a band with.

Problem is that there's a huge sale at the local musicshop (sale is indeed a big problem ), and my dad has offered me to buy a bassguitar for me (probably a epiphone thunderbird IV), with an amp

The whole band idea started with me and my cousin, who lives 20 miles away (which is actualy pretty far for dutch standards ), and the other two members live in the same street as i do.

The big problem is now; should i go for the bass and dump my cousin (while we came up with it togetther), or should i stick with guitar?

Additional info:

Although i only play for 8 months and didn't have a single lesson (exc UG lesson section and some tutorial vids on youtube), i can play songs like 'second heartbeat' from avenged sevenfold (excluding the solo ), 'my heroine' by silverstein and 'collide' from anarchy club. Which i think is good for the amount of time i play (like 30 mins to 2 hours a day, mostly 1 hour a day).

I like bandwise the attention you get when playing (lead)guitar and love to play high, but i also like the real low stuf, although i wouldn't blink out very much.

PS: A few weeks ago i got a line6 floor pod plus, which i can hook op to my dad's !!!3000W!!! powered speaker instalation. So if i decide to go for the bass, do i need a new a new pod, or could i still use this one?
Just because you can play guitar doesn't automatically mean you can play bass. Take those 8 months, and only 1 of them will count towards your bass playing. If you do decide to take up bass, it's great because it's really high in demand.
i already tried the bass at the shop, and it was IMO not really much different
i just picked up the bass, sit on a chair and play the bass part of beast and the harlot

and yes i tried bass a few times before when i was at my cousins
Your saying that it really wasn't much different is exactly indicative of a guitarist approaching the bass as a guitarist. It takes time to learn to approach the bass as a bass player does, and to think like a bass player. THAT is the difference between a person who can play bass and a person who is a bass player.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Luminate
and yes i tried bass a few times before when i was at my cousins

That's not a lot. Guitar is like running on a treadmill, bass is like lifting weights.
Quote by axemanchris
Your saying that it really wasn't much different is exactly indicative of a guitarist approaching the bass as a guitarist. It takes time to learn to approach the bass as a bass player does, and to think like a bass player. THAT is the difference between a person who can play bass and a person who is a bass player.

CT

this.

writing parts for guitar and writing parts for bass is much, much different.
In my opinion, the bass parts should be written to give the song a "base" (not used as a pun ) whereas the guitarist(s) can then improvise or something and the song will still have the same structure (this is different for some bands however, like RHCP, because the guitar is more part of the rhythm section and the bassist can improvise if he wants.)

What I'm saying is... sure, maybe you can PLAY bass, but can you write a song on bass?
you guys arent really helping me out,

and i don't care that bass is other than guitar (thats one of the reasons i would get one), and i dont mind to learn things over for bass

but i didn't hear any usefull comment which whould help me with my choice if i should choose for bass (and flip off my cousin)
I think this is the wrong place to get an answer on this particular subject, though I can give advice.

Talk with everyone in ur band (including ur cousin), and ask if he wants to dedicate the time to be in a band, and travel to you for bandpractice on a weekly basis.

If not, then you could start learning bass, if that benefits the band more.

Obviously there is another thing to consider;

If you feel more pulled to playing bass, then you should buy one.

Given the various info, thinking for the band is a good thing to take into consideration.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 4, 2009,
well i thought of a few factors more,

1. where im from (40.000 ppl sized town in south netherlands), the music-participation grade is patheticaly low. (mostly because 50% is hip-hopper )
There are like 8 guys who play guitar at my school and me and one of the guys in the band are the best players (this is serious !!!)

2. There aren't even any bass-players at my school, but as said in point 1, im also at the top of guitar players, which makes my desicion even more difficult

3. Weekly band practise is almost impossible because my cousins parrents are very very strickt and they'll always let him work his ass of for school first