Okay, I've been playing guitar for just a little over a year and I'm mostly self taught. A friend of mine taught me very basic things like how everything works on a guitar and got me started with a few easy songs. The problem is, I never learned any chords or scales, I just started learning riffs and intros and picked up some techniques along the way. Chords and scales are no doubt essentials, but at the stage I'm at now, I'm kind of lost as to where to start learning new things. I can play as well as anyone that has played for a year, but I am missing basic knowledge that I feel I need to progress further.

I'd appreciate it if someone can give me advice as to where to start and where to go from there. Also, I play a LTD f-50, flipped upside down because I'm a lefty, if it that matters. Thanks for your time and advice, I appreciate it.

EDIT: Some of the things I already know how to do are:

hammer-ons, pull-offs, economic picking, natural harmonics, pinch harmonics, slides, tremolo, bending, and I think that's about it. I don't know if that info helps, but there it is.
Last edited by TurtlesNeverDie at Jul 3, 2009,
Quote by Geldin
What's your maximum tempo? Just as a starting point.

I have no clue. I'm assuming that's how fast I can pick according to a metronome but I haven't really ever used a metronome.
Okay first of all, maximum tempo is a bit of a ridiculous question to ask. The difficulty of music is on the principal of technique, so there's no point in saying how fast, rather the question should be what level can you play. And even then, tempo is all relative, so whole notes in prestissimo are basically quarter notes in andante, no one can really tell the difference unless they're looking at the sheet music.

Second, I think you're at the point in your guitar learning where you need to start setting goals. Honestly, if you don't place a goal in front of yourself for a particular task, you will wander blindly through every lesson and practice session with no real genuine interest at all. Pick a few songs you truly love and admire and promise yourself you will perform them for your friends and family in a month. Don't hold back either. Because honestly, practicing aimlessly may be relaxing, but it's not real exciting. Find a purpose.
Oh and by the way, if you haven't used a metronome, use one. Set it to 60 bpm and play something you already know in a slower tempo than usual. This will help reiterate the consistency of the beat and make it a natural instinct for you, an essential for any musician. And...since you don't have a metronome, feel free to use this one http://www.metronomeonline.com/
i was kind of the same as you man, my teacher just told me mainly chords and songs, he thought i "wasnt" ready to move onto scales or something lol. i came in a week later knowing the whole blues scale and knowing how to use it.

theres a handy lesson here on all the shapes of the blues scale, if you need some further help with how to use it or something, you can pm me anytime.
"Been Dazed And Confused For So0 LoNg ItZ n0T Tru3"

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
@ improvsolo
I was thinking more notes per second as a measurement. That question was more for my benefit so I could offer a more informed answer.

With the information you've provided, I think the best thing to do right now is learn some open chords (C, A, G, E, and D chords, both major and minor). That will provide a good background for chords and get you used to changing chords without too much problem. Then I suppose learn some easy chord songs. Think classic rock. If you like the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, I recommend both strongly. They're easy songs that everyone knows.