Poll: Who is a better guitarist?
Poll Options
View poll results: Who is a better guitarist?
Muhammad Suicmez
6 27%
John Petrucci
16 73%
Voters: 22.
Page 1 of 2
Okay, so I am not exactly sure where I should be posting this, so if it's in the wrong place, whatevs.
so anyway, who do y'all think is a better guitarist overall; Muhammad Suicmez from Necrophagist or John Petrucci from Dream Theater? And please dont just vote, at least give a reason why you think one guitarist is better than the other.
are vs threads allowed here, or is that just the pit where it's not allowed?

Anyway, i'm not in a position to decide, i don't listen to either of them.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Last edited by CG Man16 at Jul 3, 2009,
I don't think they're allowed anywhere. And personally, both guitarists are over-fellated, although I listen to Necrophagist way more than Dream Theater. In face, I never listen to Dream Theater. So Muhammed.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Don't bother. If you wank excessively you'll have more fun that hearing either one of those two going at it. And by wank I mean you should masturbate, just thought I should clarify that.

And indeed, Jarzombek runs circles around both of them.
Petrucci is almost a God. so him.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Regardless, Petrucci sucks hard, and Suicmez is great, but is boring.

Dave Suzuki, Karl Sanders, Antti Kokko, Terrance Hobbs, and Jari Maenpaa are much better, and fairly underestimated, guitarists.
I have always felt that John Petrucci is regarded as a shredder to the point where his emotional playing is often overlooked. In reality, he is more versatile than many people believe. I prefer Dream Theater, and I also prefer Petrucci.
muhammed is far better

both just wank the guitar and have nothing but technicality though.
but in terms of who wanks the guitar better muhammed wins
Quote by xChristgrindeRx
Regardless, Petrucci sucks hard, and Suicmez is great, but is boring.

Dave Suzuki, Karl Sanders, Antti Kokko, Terrance Hobbs, and Jari Maenpaa are much better, and fairly underestimated, guitarists.

Oh wow.
Quote by webbtje
Oh wow.

I agree with antti and Jari.

Especially jari, that man can write a song!
Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
And had Suicmez stuck with his earlier sound (seen on their early demos, such as Dismembered Self-Immolation), I think he'd have some more respect.

Edit: And Antti as well is a great song writer, and doesn't focus on showing off, unlike other Finnish melodeath guitarist Alexi Laiho. Dave Suzuki... The entire Dechristianize album's guitar work is godly, and if you haven't seen his improv, you should give it a look. Terrance Hobbs and Sanders are great examples of progressive death guitarists, who aren't quite focused on boring the crowd.
Last edited by xChristgrindeRx at Jul 3, 2009,
Quote by xChristgrindeRx
And had Suicmez stuck with his earlier sound (seen on their early demos, and Dismembered Self-Immolation), I think he'd have some more respect.

Respect? What is this, metal street cred? Does he need to cap some bitches before he's allowed to gain respect?

He plays guitar and he does so to an excellent standard of technicality. That's his thing. Not some strange quest for 'respect'.

R - E - S - T - E - C - P

And it's with restecp that he will rule the world

Don't get me started on your saying Karl Sanders is an objectively better guitar player than Petrucci... and Suzuki does improv? Last time I checked he just wrote unnecessarily long songs with long, wanky, widdly, self-indulgent bullshit with some juvenile FUKK CHRIST bollocks on top.
Last edited by webbtje at Jul 3, 2009,
Quote by webbtje
Respect? What is this, metal street cred? Does he need to cap some bitches before he's allowed to gain respect?

He plays guitar and he does so to an excellent standard of technicality. That's his thing. Not some strange quest for 'respect'.

wat
Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Morphogenesis26
Quote by webbtje

Don't get me started on your saying Karl Sanders is an objectively better guitar player than Petrucci...

'Ow can we expect people out dere to restecp each ovver, if you lot don' even restecp yourselves?
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
This is all i need to say about karl sanders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT2aOnH3-xc

my god that sucked
Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Morphogenesis26
Obviously his skill is unquestionable, and he does have originality in his style and genre, but well...

To put it this way, if I had to recommend progressive/tech death metal to someone who hasn't heard it, I'd certainly put bands like Suffocation, Nile, Behemoth, and such, before a band like Necrophagist, where Suicmez clearly spends more time trying to gain a name for himself as a great guitarist, rather than making something as impressive as Papyrus.
Quote by xChristgrindeRx
And had Suicmez stuck with his earlier sound (seen on their early demos, such as Dismembered Self-Immolation), I think he'd have some more respect.

Edit: And Antti as well is a great song writer, and doesn't focus on showing off, unlike other Finnish melodeath guitarist Alexi Laiho. Dave Suzuki... The entire Dechristianize album's guitar work is godly, and if you haven't seen his improv, you should give it a look. Terrance Hobbs and Sanders are great examples of progressive death guitarists, who aren't quite focused on boring the crowd.

Dave Suzuki is sloppy... but he is a godly musician, especially on the drums.

Karl Sanders is sloppy too
Quote by xChristgrindeRx
Obviously his skill is unquestionable, and he does have originality in his style and genre, but well...

To put it this way, if I had to recommend progressive/tech death metal to someone who hasn't heard it, I'd certainly put bands like Suffocation, Nile, Behemoth, and such, before a band like Necrophagist, where Suicmez clearly spends more time trying to gain a name for himself as a great guitarist, rather than making something as impressive as Papyrus.

You'd name Behemoth as a prog/tech death band at all, let alone more technical or progressive than Necrofagend?

Right.

Quote by wh0racLe
Dave Suzuki is sloppy... but he is a godly musician, especially on the drums.

Whether the drums on Dechristianize are sped up or not is something I'll save for another day. Him being a godly drummer... well, let's see now, basically every song on that album starts with the same little drum flam, and he's about as varied as my carpet.

Everybody in this thread also fails for not mentioning Luc Lemay.
While not technical death, Behemoth has certainly brought in many more progressive elements with later albums, starting with Demigod. The Apostasy has surely brought more of a progressive aspect, somewhat in the time signature respect, and more on the added instrumentals respect, similar to bands like Opeth.

And yeah, I saw that Sanders videos the other day, and thought it was pretty sloppy, but he still has shown great skill on his albums and live.
But do they really compare when you stack them up to death metal that, well, progresses? Nile haven't done anything new in 10 years, neither have Suffo particularly (let alone doing anything decent), so I'm not entirely sure where this is going.

Necro are more progressive than you might think, by the way, darl. You listened to Seven recently?
Quote by xChristgrindeRx

you would call nile, behemoth and suffocation progressive?

how are they in any way progressive?
Quote by phili666
you would call nile, behemoth and suffocation progressive?

how are they in any way progressive?

come on, don't egg him on.
Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Morphogenesis26
Seven by adramelech is even better
Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Morphogenesis26
Quote by CG Man16
come on, don't egg him on.

i'm not

i love behemoth
i like suffocation and nile (although nile kinda bore me)

but none of them are progressive
Quote by phili666
i'm not

i love behemoth
i like suffocation and nile (although nile kinda bore me)

but none of them are progressive

That's the point....
Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Morphogenesis26
[Edit: This post is to Webtje]

Well, I see your point. However, Suffocation was certainly a great influence to later prog/tech death metal. Necrophagist surely is progressing the sound of death metal in their own style, but I just can't stand this sudden movement of tech death metal.

Since Epitaph, in a matter of about 4 years, tech death metal has basically become a trend. Bands like The Faceless, Psyopus, and countless tech death/core bands have basically copied Necrophagist's style, and they surely don't do it well...

Sorry, but this makes me want to shoot up a crowded mall, and that might just lower the deathcore fan population...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agnGv_2gmSQ

Second Edit: How are they not progressive? I'd pull up a definition for you, but I'll leave you to do that yourself...
Quote by xChristgrindeRx
Well, I see your point. However, Suffocation was certainly a great influence to later prog/tech death metal. Necrophagist surely is progressing the sound of death metal in their own style, but I just can't stand this sudden movement of tech death metal.

Since Epitaph, in a matter of about 4 years, tech death metal has basically become a trend. Bands like The Faceless, Psyopus, and countless tech death/core bands have basically copied Necrophagist's style, and they surely don't do it well...

Sorry, but this makes me want to shoot up a crowded mall, and that might just lower the deathcore fan population...

that was terrible
Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Morphogenesis26
yeah dude, its really annoying how bands are trying to be Necrophagist-like. they just cant do it as well. necrophagist has their own sound for tech. death metal. people shouldnt try to be like them.
Quote by xChristgrindeRx
Well, I see your point. However, Suffocation was certainly a great influence to later prog/tech death metal.

Doesn't make them a prog death band in their own right. Are the Beatles Britpop? Are the Kinks indie?

Quote by xChristgrindeRx
Necrophagist surely is progressing the sound of death metal in their own style, but I just can't stand this sudden movement of tech death metal.

Which obviously discredits Suicmez as a guitarist. K.

Quote by xChristgrindeRx

Again, obviously means Suicmez is shite, yeah.

Quote by xChristgrindeRx

I like a bit of deathcore, so do a lot of the regs. I actually quite enjoyed that song. Your point?

Also I fail to see how Psyopus or The Faceless sound similar to Necro in any way whatsoever. Completely different. One of them's tech-death + Yngwie, one of them's a more melodic tech-death + a bit of -core, one of them's a complete spazz-out.
I never said Suicmez isn't a good guitarist... Necrophagist as a whole is fairly boring. While it's different from other death metal bands, remove the gutturals and you've lost the death metal aspect.

And aside from odd instrumental use (in the Opeth aspect), Suffocation fulfills every element of progressive metal. If it does not, prove to me how Necrophagist does.

And obviously there are fans of Psyopus, but it's still wanksh*t.

Edit: They're all still centered around the Necrophagist influence, and even though Necrophagist doesn't receive much respect by death metal fans, they're the only ones to actually use that style well. Necrophagist revolutionized tech death metal, but many of these bands that spur up after Necrophagist's high point aren't progressing the style.
Quote by xChristgrindeRx
[Edit: This post is to Webtje]

agreed fully with this, thank god for good tech death bands like gorod.

Quote by xChristgrindeRx

Second Edit: How are they not progressive? I'd pull up a definition for you, but I'll leave you to do that yourself...

progressive metal is metal that fuses metal with other genre, or takes large influence
yes odd time signatures is also a characteristic of prog metal but behemoth are quite obviously a death metal band

suffocation are obviously a tech/brutal death band (as are nile)

they might have tiny prog characteristics, but on the whole they are far more death metal than prog
Page 1 of 2