Page 1 of 2
I know everything to setting up a floyd rose tremolo. The thing is I'm picky about my action, so having to keep balancing out the strings and springs takes forever and then some.

Well, incase you didn't know, you can't have tension on the bridge when you lower the action, otherwise the knife edges can't get dull/scratch the bolts in the trem. So that's so stressful taking out all the springs etc. and making it perfect again... Only to find out the action isn't right stil...

And then my string popped, twice, resulting in me buying three packs of stings. You also have to balance out the tuning perfect.

Now my action is as low as I want it, but my high E frets out when I bend it...!

So I push my whammy bar all the way down to relieve tension from strings and try to lower it only for the knife edges to start grinding into the screw/bolts....

this is a 1,100 Carvin guitar I'm about to burn it on fire and throw it out my window. All this work and money and I can't even play my F'ing guitar. Not to mention I busted my balls buying this guitar (literally, that's another story) and I feel like quiting guitar for the rest of my life.

The process it's so tedious it's not even funny, it's an original floyd Rose too so it isn't from poor quality or anything like that. I swear I'll never buy a floating tremolo again. Too much drama.

While it opens up a world of possibilities it also limits them. You can't do different tunings without doing a mind numb process...
Quote by nan0
I know everything to setting up a floyd rose tremolo. The thing is I'm picky about my action, so having to keep balancing out the strings and springs takes forever and then some.

Well, incase you didn't know, you can't have tension on the bridge when you lower the action, otherwise the knife edges can't get dull/scratch the bolts in the trem. So that's so stressful taking out all the springs etc. and making it perfect again... Only to find out the action isn't right stil...

And then my string popped, twice, resulting in me buying three packs of stings. You also have to balance out the tuning perfect.

Now my action is as low as I want it, but my high E frets out when I bend it...!

So I push my whammy bar all the way down to relieve tension from strings and try to lower it only for the knife edges to start grinding into the screw/bolts....

this is a 1,100 Carvin guitar I'm about to burn it on fire and throw it out my window. All this work and money and I can't even play my F'ing guitar. Not to mention I busted my balls buying this guitar (literally, that's another story) and I feel like quiting guitar for the rest of my life.

The process it's so tedious it's not even funny, it's an original floyd Rose too so it isn't from poor quality or anything like that. I swear I'll never buy a floating tremolo again. Too much drama.

While it opens up a world of possibilities it also limits them. You can't do different tunings without doing a mind numb process...

Well, thank you for confirming my preference of fixed bridges
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

So, you take your springs out Every time you adjust the action???

That's some serious overkill... I've heard of people blocking the trem when adjsuting the action, but never taking out the springs...

I've never done either.

And the thing with FR's is if you get the action perfect then when you bend the strings, it will cut out. And if you pull all the way back on the bar, the strings will hit the fret board. So, you always have to have the action just a touch higher then perfect.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Stoptail Bridge, ftw. Plus, Whammy Kid showed us all how to whammy without the whammy anyway.
Lol, sucks to be you. Takes me like 40 minutes to get my ****ty liscenced floyd happening perfect every time.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
The thing is, it pisses me off. I've played guitars with lower action that I have now, with no buzz, or freting out or anything.

I don't always take the springs out, but I losen them otherwise the bridge is so tight it'll scratch the bolts.

Everything has to go wrong, why can't anything ever be simple. F my life seriously.
Sell it, buy something for the same price with a fixed bridge.
Obsession! Obsessive! Obsessed! Abscess!
ya, i'm in the process of setting up my Jackson King V. it is very tedious. i've managed to get the fretboard clean, tuned to D Standard, the action is pretty close; now i just have to finish intonating it.

and i hear you about them being a pain; thats why my next guitar is going to be an Ibanez RG321. but i'm not going to stop using Floyds; in fact, my Floyd is just a licensed one; i'm eventually going to get a guitar with an OFR. probably a DBZ.

sorry to go off on a tangent, but i just need a quick answer to this question: my trem arm isn't as tight as it used to be; it just hangs there; what do you think the problem is?? how can i fix it?? i've heard about using electrical tape, but i don't think that will work b/c then it won't fit.

Thanks, John.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Calm down... Take it to a guitar shop if its stressing you out too much.

...And werent you the guy who was acting like a jerk to me when I was defending you long ago?
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
you have to raise the action a bit, if its to low like that when you bend the strings the sound will cut out. Same thing happens on my guitar, which has a stop tail bridge, when i try to lower my action.
Quote by Lumberjackted11
you have to raise the action a bit, if its to low like that when you bend the strings the sound will cut out. Same thing happens on my guitar, which has a stop tail bridge, when i try to lower my action.

ya, that was happening to me earlier in the week; if i did a bend on the 22fret, e string, it would cut out. there were probably a few other spots too. the low E was also buzzing quite a bit. hopefully that will be fixed once i'm done with the setup. it's already sounding better.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Quote by KiraIBZ
Calm down... Take it to a guitar shop if its stressing you out too much.

...And werent you the guy who was acting like a jerk to me when I was defending you long ago?

I want to know what's wrong so I can handle it myself but I will probably eventually send it in...

I don't know but I could of, sorry if I did though. What was it about? you can PM me if you want.

the thing is I want my action even lower.
String-thru on my Carvin and I don't regret it one bit. Never had a floyd and probably never will, it just doesn't appeal to me that much. If I want to do whammy antics I'll just buy a Jem or something I suppose.
Well, if you take it to a smaller shop, and ask if you can sit in on the setup, Im sure they will let you. (It also lets you tell them just how you want it)

I dont remember what it was about though.. sorry.

And you tried adjusting the truss rod and such right?
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Yes, and it buzzes slightly but I can tolerate. I don't hear it when I play through an amp. As long as it isn't too bad of a buzz.

Yeah but the shop won't know what my preference on action is, which revolves around countless hours setting it up.

I can't take this. I'm acting like a drama queer. Someone shoot me please.
Do it yourself :P

But Thats why you sit in on the setup, so you can explain to them how you want the action. If they are nice, maybe even let you test it before retrying :P

But its doubtful, however you might as well try? A floyd is a blast when it works.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Yeah I know. seems like I have to sacrifice something here and I won't do that. I'm sick of compromising. I want it to play satriani songs etc (like I could anyway since I suck).

I want to beat something sensless with a sledge hammer.
your carvin wasn't built for uber low action. it all depends on how the guitar was made in the first place, then you have to take into account the truss rod, the fret size, the radius of the fretboard, etc..
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
you dont have to loosen the tension on the floyd. ive talked to several techs and i also read an interview with one of Ibanez's top techs and they all said the knife edges and the posts will be fine. specially if its an OFR. i mean think about it, the edges AND the posts are hardened steel. whats gona happen? and the edges grind against the posts when you dive and pull up anyway! so turning the posts with full tension on the bridge isnt gonna hurt your floyd or the pivot posts. its a myth, especially with high-end trems like OFRs and edge pros and what not. now, maybe on the $30 Ebay LFRs, but not on a $170+, hardened 50-55 Rockwell OFR.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
"lowest action set up" was on their site and one of the reasons I ordered it. It's past the 10 day limit so I'm f__ked huh?

Figures, it is me after.
Isnt it a 30 day limit? o.O
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Sucks... well.. if its stressing you, get it set up?
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
I just got a job and I dont feel like blowing money.

My marshall amp (A tube Combo) just got F'd up and isn't working. I can't believe how everything is going wrong at once. It isn't no Marshall MG, it's a JCM 2000 triple super lead. Made in England.

The guy who I know, is super professional. He's anti social and my dad's friend... He has people ship stuff to him through out the US. He once made a 6 string guitar into a 7 string that's how good he is. So he won't be cheap, and who knows when he can do it, and if I can get there when he wants it. If he'll do it. There is no other place around here.
I see... Sorry to hear all that
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
No problem. Thanks for putting up with all my crap. I know I would of slapped me if I was talking to me. Kudos if you understand that.

I'm going to go back into my hole.
Just keep trying, good lucky.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Quote by nan0

Shove a good ol' eraser under it if you have a route, and tune away.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Adjusting the action shouldn't be too much trouble. The knife edges on an OFR are extremely durable and will probably last much longer than you would expect.
Quote by nan0
^ That's ugly as shet though.

Get Tremol-No.

http://www.tremol-no.com/

Some guys I know even use the tremol-no during string change. Taking off all the strings after setting the tremol-no to lock. I probably wouldn't use it for taking off all the strings, because it wasn't meant to use at tensions of 4 springs, but it's great for changing tunings quickly on a floating tremolo.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
Last edited by yellowshirtguy at Jul 4, 2009,
Quote by nan0
^ That's ugly as shet though.

he means use the eraser to keep the bridge in place and then adjust the entire thing....i think
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
That's nigga rigged then, I rather not. I got a floyd to use it, not to be retarded.
i dont think you understand what i meant...

You block the bridge so it sits level, tune the strings by cross tuning (by blocking you dont have to worry about tuning one string and the others ending up wrong) then you make all the spring adjustments, then remove the eraser, and make all the final small adjustments.

This was never about blocking off your trem to not be used
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Glad i sold my Schecter C-1 Hellrasier with Floyd Rose and bought a real guitar.
Never touching a floyd rose again, ever.
Quote by ljohn
The thing is, in a band like chickenfoot, think of the JSX as a submarine and the Marshall as a plane. No matter how good the submarine is, it might be the perfect submarine, if you need a plane, a submarine ain't gonna do it for you.
... Aren't you the guy that said we should beat our kids, and that the government hates us? you also were being a dick to just about everyone. I'm sorry, I can't help you.

*walks out.*
Quote by JKMV11
sorry to go off on a tangent, but i just need a quick answer to this question: my trem arm isn't as tight as it used to be; it just hangs there; what do you think the problem is?? how can i fix it?? i've heard about using electrical tape, but i don't think that will work b/c then it won't fit.

Thanks, John.

I opened the backplate to my Ibanez once and there was this screw right next to where the springs are, I tightened it and it made my tremarm tight again, but it didn't as long..D:
Ibanez S540

MXR EVH Phaser
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez WD-7
Electro Harmonix LPB-1

Traynor YCS 50 Blue
That´s why I put Kahlers on my Carvins hahah. Action is adjustable without killing blades and it pulls strings straight back on pull ups instead of down towards the frets. Plus it was waaay easier to radius than a Floyd. My V220 gets the best action I´ve ever played on a guitar.
Quote by SlayingDragons
... Aren't you the guy that said we should beat our kids, and that the government hates us? you also were being a dick to just about everyone. I'm sorry, I can't help you.

*walks out.*

Not the whole government, and not beat your kids, spank.

Anway, whatev. I know what needs to be done, it's just too much and too long to do.
Quote by nan0
Not the whole government, and not beat your kids, spank.

Anway, whatev. I know what needs to be done, it's just too much and too long to do.

HAHA I knew that was you!

Anyways hows the floyd problem going?
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Page 1 of 2