Page 1 of 2
ok so my buddy is self taught and he has been playing for 2 months he is 13, he can already play eruption and hot for teacher by van halen, the fullsong not little pieces of it, anyways he keeps on saying that he sucks at guitar, so guys is he good at guitar or not?
Last edited by notgoodbutslow at Jul 3, 2009,
Oh cause we can totally judge him by what you say.

Give me a video and I'd be glad to criticize him

And yeah, he cannot play eruption. Just because he can slide down to and open A chord and play the tapping start of the song does not mean he can play eruption.

If I had a penny for everytime I've heard that... "I can play eruption!" and they just do that first little tapping part that doesn't change or anything
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Jul 3, 2009,
When he learns to play the entire song, then judge
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Somehow I doubt he can play either of those songs with any level of proficiency past that of a noob.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Anyone can say they can play a song. It depends how clean it is, how good it sounds, etc. At least need an audio clip or something.
He's been playing for 2 months, do we need anymore info?

Quote by notgoodbutslow
sigh* u guys dont believe... oh well i tried

It doesn't matter what you say, if we don't hear him we can't say how well he's doing. If we heard your friend we wouldn't just sit here criticizing, we'd be giving constructive criticism. It's not like we can see music. Oh and by the way if you really thing your friend can play Eruption you must have not really listened to him. Sure you listened to him, but you haven't listened to him in musical sense.
Last edited by cornmancer at Jul 3, 2009,
just because he can (if he actually can that is) play two songs doesnt mean hes a good guitarist. that means hes good at playing those two songs.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Your friend, eh? Sounds completely legit...

But no, being a good guitarist is about more than being able to pull off what someone else wrote, its about writing music yourself.
Quote by notgoodbutslow
ok so my buddy is self taught and he has been playing for 2 months he is 13, he can already play eruption and hot for teacher by van halen, the fullsong not little pieces of it, anyways he keeps on saying that he sucks at guitar, so guys is he good at guitar or not?

No he can't.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by notgoodbutslow

Reading stuff like this makes me have huge hard on of pathetic expectations.

Is he this man? if he's not he sux.

Quote by wyldething
Your friend, eh? Sounds completely legit...

But no, being a good guitarist is about more than being able to pull off what someone else wrote, its about writing music yourself.

No, being a good songwriter is about writing music yourself.
Quote by BeefWellington

Interesting question...
Quote by notgoodbutslow
sigh* u guys dont believe... oh well i tried

post a vid..what do u have to loose?
Quote by Vornik
No he can't.

I bet the guy's standards are just really low. We don't need proof! Of course he can play both of those full songs! All the screw ups in the world couldn't detract the value of his playing of those two songs.
Quote by Vornik
No, being a good songwriter is about writing music yourself.

To me, songwriting is an integral part of the guitar. It may just be me, but I wouldn't consider myself a good guitarist if I only learned other people's music. That is far too one dimensional to be considered "good".
He's probably not good, but slow.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Quote by wyldething
To me, songwriting is an integral part of the guitar. It may just be me, but I wouldn't consider myself a good guitarist if I only learned other people's music. That is far too one dimensional to be considered "good".

Playing guitar and writing music are two distinct things. End. That's like saying you aren't a good guitar player unless you can sing and play harmonica. If Eddie Van Halen didn't write his songs, he would still be an amazing guitar player. Many incredible musicians don't write music. I've never heard a song written by Andres Segovia.
Quote by BeefWellington

Interesting question...
Last edited by Vornik at Jul 3, 2009,
Quote by Vornik
Playing guitar and writing music are two distinct things. End. That's like saying you aren't a good guitar player unless you can sing and play harmonica.

True. But is it fair to say that a good guitarist (as opposed to a "guitar player") can write his/her own music.
Quote by Vornik
Playing guitar and writing music are two distinct things. End. That's like saying you aren't a good guitar player unless you can sing and play harmonica. If Eddie Van Halen didn't write his songs, he would still be an amazing guitar player. Many incredible musicians don't write music. I've never heard a song written by Andres Segovia.

Fine, then IMO he's a great guitarist, not a great musician.
Quote by wyldething

I couldn't agree more, that's why I decided to stop learning other peoples' songs as soon after 6 months of playing, cuz I actually wanted to get good.
I've been playing for about 4 years and I still can't play those songs
Feel free to add me on STEAM: thesystemhasfailed
XBL tag: cbiggs18
Quote by Echoplex
True. But is it fair to say that a good guitarist (as opposed to a "guitar player") can write his/her own music.

Um no, it's not, because a guitarist is just another word for a guitar player.
Maybe you could say that a good musician can write their own music.

But then again that would mean that the thousands of amazing classical concert musicians aren't good because they just play other people's stuff.
Quote by Echoplex

Yes, because "guitarist" and "guitar player" mean exactly the same ****ing thing.

Quote by guitargod131
I couldn't agree more, that's why I decided to stop learning other peoples' songs as soon after 6 months of playing, cuz I actually wanted to get good.

How do you think the best got good?
Quote by BeefWellington

Interesting question...
Quote by toast565
Um no, it's not, because a guitarist is just another word for a guitar player.
Maybe you could say that a good musician can write their own music.

But then again that would mean that the thousands of amazing classical concert musicians aren't good because they just play other people's stuff.

Those who can play any virtuoso composition wouldn't become famous unless they can write music on the same level as that which they can play. Many people on youtube can play petrucci and vai songs, but no other guitarist aspires to emulate them; they aspire to emulate the guitarists that wrote the songs.
I've been playing guitar for 5 or 6 years and have trouble playing those songs really well along with the record. Pretty advanced stuff...EVH is not exactly easy. He does some pretty insane stuff that many people have a hard time replicating.

Tell him to learn Mean Street. I'm sure it's a breeze for him.

I'm sorry to sound like somewhat of a twat, but seriously, if you can play that stuff at 2 months, you know you're good. Your friend doesn't go on UG and ask.
wow. i honestly can say your friend is a ****ing liar. and will gladly take that back once i see a video.
Cool Story Bro!!!
also ben but call me chimmy

gentlemen thread, the group

Quote by dawginator
Oh rather? I say, you GentleNinja skills are most epic my good man! If it weren't for you, I would be speaking French!
Oh wait...

i slayed napoleon
Quote by BrashPersona
F'ing LMAO!..

Easily amused 09'er is easily amused.
Firefly > You

Trumpet Alliance
No he's not.
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast