Does he finger pick, cause he gets the best clean tone, it doesnt even sound like he picks the strings in his solos, what does he do?
Obsession! Obsessive! Obsessed! Abscess!
Some youtube videos might help. I don't know to be honest, maybe he uses hybrid picking. I agree though his tone is always so godly.
EQing his amp well and use of Toneand Volume knobs.

Watch a live solo, he's constantly screwing with the tone and volume knobs. I'd imagine he has a pretty nice amount of mids, pretty even bass + highs, or maybe even more bass then highs (Not a lot though. I'd imagine his settings are: Mids 7, Bass 6, Highs 5)

Turn down the tone and volume very very slightly until you feel you've got a pretty good tone. You can further refine it by getting similar gear.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
he has excellent amps and guitars but he does use a pick on most of his solo's i think
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Along with some songs being played on a slide guitar. I've seen Floyd live twice, 2 nights in a row. Simply amazing!!!
He uses the small Fender 354 pick I believe and he doesn't hybrid pick. His clean tone comes from the fact that his HiWatt amps have very high clean headroom. He achieves his overdriven/distorted tone from pedals. He uses Fender amps in smaller venues. Delay/reverb are important for a fuller sound plus the fact that he's using a Strat also helps with his clean tone. With all that said, his tone comes most of all from his fingers and the way he picks and frets/bends. Just watch his videos. He doesn't use the tone knob that much as you'd think, his clean tone like on Shine On You Crazy Diamond comes mostly from his neck pickup. gilmourish.com is a great site
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
A lot of his sounds are mentioned on Gilmourish.com, Bjorn is a legend and he'd be happy to help if you give him a few weeks to get back to you (huge backlog of emails!).

However, I can tell you that the HiWatts are the secret, along with compression for the bluesy clean sound. Hell, even his distortions and OD's are so pure they even sound clean in a way!
Quote by jonthomas83
I can tell you that the HiWatts are the secret, along with compression for the bluesy clean sound. Hell, even his distortions and OD's are so pure they even sound clean in a way!

He also uses some type of rotary speaker.

I've got a DVD where he plays an acoustic. He uses a pick.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD