Hey UG,

Do I have a story for you...

I'm in a band that specializes in playing 80's Hair/Glam Metal. We played a gig, and then went out for drinks after. Carpooling with the drummer that night, and I left my equipment in his van obviously. Anyway, we came out of the bar and the van was nowhere to be found, and a few other cars were broken into as well.

So I Had to Buy New Gear: this is what I got because I'm really strapped for cash

-an Epiphone G-400-stock
-a Line 6 Spider III HD75-stock

I Have never does anyone have any suggestions on how I can achieve that Great 80s sound Again?

I'm looking for a Van Hanen-You Really Got Me/Twisted Sister/Warrant type sound

Help is greatly Appreciated.
Thanks
-Scalz
Replace the spider... if your gonna get a solid state amp, get the Vypyr tube. Since your gigging...
*This coming from someone with a spider*
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
did you already get these? because if not there are WAY better options for you.

so your budget is ~$500?
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
i've had a bad experience with peavy amps, so i'm not inclined to buy a new one.

are there any settings that can help on the amp itself?
Quote by f22master
did you already get these? because if not there are WAY better options for you.

so your budget is ~$500?

i have them already. I had a show the next night. it cost me five hundred. I like the spider, but i cant get the setting right
Last edited by supersize at Jul 3, 2009,
well thats not good. see if you can return them. you might think im crazy but spiders are THAT bad. they are worse than Marshall MGs...

and the G-400 aint a shred machine eaither...

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Have you not ever read anything on this site?

This entire site is filled with people asking about their br00t4lz Line 6 spider, or whatever. And the response is always the same.

Do not get the Spider. Get a Vox Valvetronix, or a Roland Cube 30.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by f22master
well thats not good. see if you can return them. you might think im crazy but spiders are THAT bad. they are worse than Marshall MGs...

and the G-400 aint a shred machine eaither...

The Spider is better than the MG. More options, and it's less buzzy. Though, they both still utterly suck cawk.

The G-400 is fine.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Even though everybody complains about the Spider, i still like it, it's just not perfect
the G-400 is a pretty decent guitar, i know that. but its not really gonna play 80s hair metal that well. MAYBE with one of these... : http://store.guitarfetish.com/veviexhonibr.html but it still wont be a great metal guitar.

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
I'm gonna upgrade for sure but I dont Have any money for upgrades right now, so I need to make the best with what i've got for about three months.

how can I make the stuff I already have at least somewhat suitable for those 3 months
Quote by supersize
I'm gonna upgrade for sure but I dont Have any money for upgrades right now, so I need to make the best with what i've got for about three months.

how can I make the stuff I already have at least somewhat suitable for those 3 months

Rent from a music store, perhaps, or borrow from a friend?
Fender Telecaster Deluxe MZ7006924
Crybaby 535Q
BOSS SD-1
ZVex Box of Rock
MXR 10-Band EQ
Ernie Ball VR Jr.
EHX The Clone Theory
Line6 ToneCore Echo Park
Fender Blues Jr.

Don't be sad, I know you will.
I'm renting a marshall DSL 100 (just like the one that was stolen. damn thieves) for big shows that we play, but it's too much to pay to rent it for all of the shows that we do.

by the way:
I'm also playing the HD75 through a Spider Cab that my buddy just gave to me.

i need to make it at least somewhat suitable, for a bit. any setting ideas.
Just a question.

If you are gigging and traveling with your own equipment, why do you not have insurance?

I have had spare guitars in stands on stage go missing. I wouldn't dream of playing a gig without insurance on the gear and liability coverage.
Quote by Quintex
Just a question.

If you are gigging and traveling with your own equipment, why do you not have insurance?

I have had spare guitars in stands on stage go missing. I wouldn't dream of playing a gig without insurance on the gear and liability coverage.

i didnt really get an amazing insurance pawment. because of some fine print garbage, apparently since my buddy dosent have amazing car insurance, that affected my payment....i freaked out on them but only to no avail.
I have been searching for the van halen you really got me tone for a long time and can never get it also. if anyone has any advice on it, id like to hear about it too. sorry i dont have any advice about your questions.
Gear
Fender MIM hss strat 1997
Marshall Class 5
Line 6 Floor Pod Plus
OCD drive

I love classic rock.
Quote by KiraIBZ
Replace the spider... if your gonna get a solid state amp, get the Vypyr tube. Since your gigging...
*This coming from someone with a spider*

well purchasing a vypyr tube amp would not be buying a solid state amp now would it?

but i will say that a vypyr 30 is your best bet
Quote by :-D
I once saw somebody carry a Guitar Hero controller in a case to protect it. He probably should have packed his testicles in there too, seeing as he won't need to use those for quite a while.

Explorer Club member #4
PM JEST87 to join
LMFAO!
you been asking for setting on the line six and all you get is"line six sucks get somthing else"
well all the closest so a evh setting that i can give you is
on a crunch channeli think the green one sett it like this.
Bass:6
Mids:8
TREB:7
drive:8ish.
thats all i got.try using a preset on there im sure you find some thing that sucks...buts close to what you want
AND YES GET A 75w VYPYR YOU CAN GET EVERY KINDA TONE YOU WANT!!!same price as the line 6.
i know, too many haterz to get actual help with what I need to bear with for now, the current economic state has set me up with pretty much garbage. the least i could do is spray some air freshener on it lol. thanks, i'll be sure to try it out.

more help like this is welcome
Quote by fender--player1
I have been searching for the van halen you really got me tone for a long time and can never get it also. if anyone has any advice on it, id like to hear about it too. sorry i dont have any advice about your questions.
Fender style guitar with an A2 based PAF, through a cranked 1968 spec Marshall super lead with Sylvania 6CA7s run on 90V via variac.