Hi there.

I am from Perú so when people decide to study music they usually get into Berklee or MI and leave Perú to study. I´ve always thought that the guy that is going to study music (for example, a guitar player) needs to have good technique (really clean and know various techniques) a fair amount of knowledge on musical theory and great reading skills (like play the vast majority of the musical sheets they have in front).

The problem is that I see people go to study music knowing almost the basics of reading, some ideas of musical theory, and not a really clean technique. I was wondering.

So the question is: Do the people you know that study music are like I think they should be, great tecnique, theory and reading skills? or are they more mediocre doing this things halfways?
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
A lot of guitarists I know have no ability to read music, a minor comprehension of theory and can't play all that.

I can read some music, have a decent understand of theory after a year of trial and error composition and only play something if I can play it clean.
I didn't know Peru had a ' over the U.

Huh.
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
you dont need to know much theory, as they will teach it to you while you are there. I go to Berklee and I can't read for ****. Just make sure you know some basic 7th chords and scales.