So, I was tabbing out some of the riffs I wrote in guitar pro. And I decided to throw some Synth Strings in there since I normally don't ever use strings. The only issue is that I'm in a band and we actually play almost 100% of the stuff. So, how do other bands that don't have a keyboardist use Synth and what would they do live / What have you seen other bands do live to make up for the lack of Synth in important areas.
Hm. You could probably play the Synth part on guitar. What's your band lineup? (i.e. bass, guitar, drums, or 2 guitars or what)
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by BD 425
Hm. You could probably play the Synth part on guitar. What's your band lineup? (i.e. bass, guitar, drums, or 2 guitars or what)

2 Guitars (One doing vocals), Bass, Drums.

And the issue is, for one of the themes that has synth, I'd be playing the lead and doing vocals, the other guitar would be playing sort of a breakdown-ish rhythm underneath it and the strings play something completely different.
Quote by BotC

And the issue is, for one of the themes that has synth, I'd be playing the lead and doing vocals, the other guitar would be playing sort of a breakdown-ish rhythm underneath it and the strings play something completely different.

wav file backing tracks triggered from laptop.
Quote by BotC

You don't need to cover the song exactly the way it is in the studio. Make it your own. If the bass is doing something similar to the breakdownish guitar part such as hitting the root notes or playing a somewhat insignificant part, he could play the synth part.
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by Well.......
Use a midi synth through a laptop?

I don't like this idea. I would not think very highly of a band that used a laptop live to play midi samples. Also, if you're offtempo by just a little bit, the midi will be off and it will soud terrible.
Quote by BD 425
I don't like this idea. I would not think very highly of a band that used a laptop live to play midi samples. Also, if you're offtempo by just a little bit, the midi will be off and it will soud terrible.

This, I saw a local band and the keyboardist was always running to the other wide of the stage to squat down and start clicking on a laptop, it felt really unmusical and just looked ridiculous.
I would either do without the strings, get a keyboardist to play it, or somehow freestyle it with bass or something.
The playground of the world
Make a backing track with a live mix synth...run the metronome to the drummer's headphones. Succeed.

Edit: Have a friend start the metronome with the synth offstage and pay him for his help.
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Jul 4, 2009,
I'd just get over your synth part, or get a synth player, those seem like the only two options your willing to go with.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Rody Walker of Protest the Hero just stands there and yells "THIS IS WHERE THE KEYBOARD SOLO GOES!!! BUT WE DON'T HAVE A KEYBOARDIST!!" and proceeds to dance around the stage until that section of the song is over.

I'd go with that technique, to be honest.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by BD 425

when he said use a midi synth, he was referring to VSTs. Go look it up.
Quote by BD 425

This is what rehearsals are for.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
I think he understood that judging from his post. A VST plugin is exactly that - a plugin. It can be an effect or a library of samples, whatever. No point telling him to look it up - the type of plugin is irrelevant. The point is live samples feeding off a laptop, presumably pre-recorded/notated and hooked up to the drummers ear with a metronome.

I don't see where this whole "I wouldnt think highly of a band that uses a laptop" thing comes from. Why not? It's a helpful tool. Lots of bands do this or similar things, I've seen several acts live do this, and do it well.

But keep in mind there is a risk of going off tempo, so you better have a drummer who is good with the metronome in his ear etc. Practice is practice. On stage is where things like this can go really wrong no matter how tight in the practice room you are.

I think it makes things unnecessarily difficult for yourselves unless you are a well established band with lots of stage time under your belt. Best option would be to find a session player or someone who can play keys around your area who has spare time and likes to party, get him/her to come to your gigs and play the keys.

But yeah depends how important the synth line really is. A lot of bands just skip out the string lines and other studio sweeteners etc, depending on how crucial it is to the song.
Last edited by ChrisBG at Jul 4, 2009,
Buy a midi controller, the kind with buttons, and assign the samples to different buttons.

Then when you want to trigger the samples, all you have to do is push a button.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~