To day i went to 3 different Guitar stores. I got thrown out of one because of fighting with the store owner about the only lute he was selling. It was strung with steel strings and i asked if he could order one, in the future, that is strung with nylon. He told me that lutes only use steel like a mandolin witch i feel is wrong but i know nothing of mandolins. I, Like the jackass i can be, Told him he was wrong that lutes have been around since about the 6th century so, there for, they do use nylon by default and I'm sure he could find one if he looked. He said and i quote "are you calling me a lair boy". Got to love West Virgina. I Said "No that you are just miss informed". He told me that i am not welcomed i told him where to shove it and some other naughty naught's about his store and his knowledge that i can not mention here...anyway was i wrong in lutes being steel and not nylon.
Aum Mani Padme Hum-Avalokiteshvara
(Om jewel in the lotus Hum)
Freakin store owners, they never know anything. Lutes do use Nylon strings
"Most people are trying to simplify the world. We're definitely here to complicate it." - Dad
Quote by RocksAwakening5
I you for posting this.

<-- Pretty much sums me up

8/7/09

^ I was there
I knew it...still this one did have steel strings on it so i was second guessing myself and needed to know if i was right.
Well, nylon was first used commercially in 1938, but now nylon is a little better than what they used back then. As wiki as my witness...

"Strings were historically made of gut (or sometimes in combination with metal), and are still made of gut or a synthetic substitute, with metal windings on the lower-pitched strings. Modern manufacturers make both gut and nylon strings, and both are in common use. Gut is more authentic, though it is also more susceptible to irregularity and pitch instability due to changes in humidity. Nylon, less authentic, offers greater tuning stability but is, of course, anachronistic."
Funny

(\__/)
(='o'=)
(")_(")
Last edited by Andybren8690 at Jul 3, 2009,
I knew of gut strings, i was just trying to make a point...But a is it common to see steel Lutes?
Last edited by GsKoRn at Jul 4, 2009,
More or less yes...There was no bend on the head stock and i was a bit smaller...but it had the exact body shape. Ill go back to the shop tomorrow and take some pictures so you guys can tell me what it really is.
Sorry, yet again i have to go to the hospital...But Monday i am going to buy a new guitar so i will swing by and have my Girlfriend take some pics for me.
Last edited by GsKoRn at Jul 7, 2009,
Ok here are the pics of this Lute mandolin thing.

98% sure that is a mandolin, which are played with steel strings.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Yep, that is a neapolitan style mandolin. It has a similar back to a lute, and has a sound hole like one.

It is easy to confuse the two because most people only know of the F-style...the ones you are used to that have the F-holes and a carved back.

But yeah, that is definitely a mandolin, which uses steel strings.
Composer of Scores for Film/Video Games/TV/and More!
Contact me if you have a project that you need music of any style for!
I did not think of that...