I'm looking for a drumset to get to record with (i can't find a good drummer around here). I'm gonna have to learn how to drum obviously, and i was wondering if you, people of the pit (this is probably a bad idea), could recomend a dramatically cheap drumset that can JUST get the job done. Not for performances, just recording.
Burzum did it, I'm sure you will be fine with the cheapest thing you can find.
As long as it's not a kids toy you should be able to get recorded what you want.
In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.

╔═══╗
║  ██ ║
╠═══╣
║╬  •• ║
╚═══╝
just get any cheap drumset...

also, you know there's always drum programs... if you're just getting into recording, get a drum program... or play midi drums on midi pads...

otherwise get ready for needing a big interface, lots of mics, and lots of money.

if you do go that route, get the cheapest set you can....
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Anything you can get used, really. Put new heads on it and spend some time tuning them properly and you should be fine. Borrowing or buying some good cymbals is a nice bonus.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Last edited by Wayward_Son at Jul 4, 2009,
You realise that you'll need decent mics for the kit if you want it to sound any different than a $20 kids kit?

The microphones will end up costing you more than the kit itself if you want a good sound. Look into buying a midi keyboard and get a pirated copy of EZDrummer or Addictive Drums.
^No. At least cheap real drums sound..... authentic. A cheap e-kit will sound like **** and probably fall apart.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
^No. At least cheap real drums sound..... authentic. A cheap e-kit will sound like **** and probably fall apart.

Huh?

BGSM is right. The mics will cost more than the kit. Cheap drums with ****ty mics is one of the worst sounds ever. (Having said that, it depends on your genre, the sound you want, etc. you could actually get a good result but still, you need several mics, and even several cheap mics will set you back a few $$$)

EZdrummer and other plugins is a good option. The samples on that and similar kits are actually good if you know what you're doing and don't just copy paste loops. And they're well recorded so as a result your mixes sound a lot more professional.

Having said that, real drums are much more ideal but if you're low on money, then it's a good option...plus if you can't drum...then it saves time.

You don't need to buy a MIDI keyboard to use these plugins, just notate them if you can.
Last edited by ChrisBG at Jul 4, 2009,
Quote by stratdud39
alright forget that then

the yamaha dd65 is not your ordinary electronic drumset. its priced around 200$ and the voicings are surprisingly well.

it has a 1/4 head phone output (which could also plug into a PA or something) and midi outs. i own it and its great for recording
Check out my music on my profile
Me and some friends recorded some stuff using rockband mics and audacity. The quality was not as bad as we thought it would be. It was pretty good overall.
In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.

╔═══╗
║  ██ ║
╠═══╣
║╬  •• ║
╚═══╝
This is what I use:

It's a USB midi keyboard. Each key represents a certain part of the kit. Use Cubase or whatever running EZDrummer, and you can get a fairly good and fairly realistic sounding kit. It takes a bit of getting used to, but for double kicks, metal and blast beats it's a lot easier.

I'll post up my test EP DUNES to show you what it sounds like.
Quote by chad120
the yamaha dd65 is not your ordinary electronic drumset. its priced around 200$ and the voicings are surprisingly well.

it has a 1/4 head phone output (which could also plug into a PA or something) and midi outs. i own it and its great for recording

i'll look into that
i'll look into the EZdrummer thing, too
I'm going to be getting paid to do yard work soon, so eventually i'll be able to get up to $200...hopefully
Quote by BGSM
This is what I use:

It's a USB midi keyboard. Each key represents a certain part of the kit. Use Cubase or whatever running EZDrummer, and you can get a fairly good and fairly realistic sounding kit. It takes a bit of getting used to, but for double kicks, metal and blast beats it's a lot easier.

I'll post up my test EP DUNES to show you what it sounds like.

thanks!
Quote by stratdud39
i'll look into that
i'll look into the EZdrummer thing, too
I'm going to be getting paid to do yard work soon, so eventually i'll be able to get up to $200...hopefully

yeah and if you are not happy with the preset voicings you can use the midi out into EZdrummer
Check out my music on my profile
Quote by Wayward_Son

Tell that to Devin Townsend.

I can get some really good sounding beats from Addictive Drums and FL studio.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Here we go:

This is using EZDrummer (pop / rock kit) with a midi keyboard in Cubase LE 4. Guitar is through the instrument input of a Presonus Audiobox USB. Bass is using Broomstick Bass with a midi keyboard.

The kick is very dominating since I over-compressed the drums, but you can get an idea of what you can acheive in a very short time.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/BGSM/music/albums/639418
yamaha something. my drummer uses them
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.