I just bought a used Marshall 100HDFX half-stack (the older model) and when playing in my friend's garage today, my knobs on my guitars started buzzing when i touched them they eventually began to shock my hand.

It was plugged into my ESP M-50 with a set of EMG's in it, and the amp was plugged into a splitter also powering another half stack and a bass half stack

It was also on a flat concrete floor when i was playing it, and i used 3 different cables and received the same result. I could actually feel the electricity on the knobs of my guitar. but when i played on my line 6 spider 2 the day before at my house it was fine...

Is it my guitar's wiring? Is my amp messed up? I've been reading stuff about grounding (i have no clue what that means) and the amp was on concrete- plugged into a bad power source.

Any help/suggestions are much appreciated
Last edited by KG Karnage at Jul 4, 2009,
Poor grounding somewhere in the amp. Not really a surprise though TBH.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
I really doubt that you have the know-how to fix it and I wouldn't recommend it unless you've worked with amp guts before because you could literally kill yourself if you don't know what you are doing. I'm not even sure that taking an MG to a tech would be worth the trouble and money. Your choice.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Is the extension cord missing that middle ground prong? Did you use a little adapter to get around that somehow?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Does this happen with every socket you plug into, or only when you are in that place?

it could just be a hot ground on the wall...but then everyone would have the issue....

It sounds like it could be a hot ground on the plug of your amp. Try a new cord, and if that doesnt work, then its the internal grounding in the amp. (AKA new amp time)
no it has a three prong plug if that's what you mean...

But is the amp's fault or the guitar's fault or the power supply/area's fault?

cus i can still return the amp
If it doesn't do that on a different outlet or in a different house then it's almost certainly the amp's fault.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
my bad, i was typing that last one when you posted it.

I tried different sockets in the splitter, and a different splitter, but it's all from the same outlet in the wall

So it's definetly the amp?
Quote by Kevin Saale
If it does do that on a different outlet or in a different house then it's almost certainly the amp's fault.

fixed,

Try a different wall socket.
Last edited by Silenced7 at Jul 4, 2009,
well i used it at my house on carpeting and it was fine, but no one else in the garage was receiving the same problem.....
Quote by KG Karnage
well i used it at my house on carpeting and it was fine, but no one else in the garage was receiving the same problem.....

do you play barefoot?

This sounds crazy, but I had a fridge in a garage at a friends, and as long as you were barefoot, the fridge would shock you.....like severely....you could like feel the electricity going through it though...crazy stuff.... Shoes = no problem though.

Same thing though, cement floor, improperly grounded outlet and the whole building not being grounded properly.
Yep, Silenced may very well be right.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

no, i was wearing sneakers. but should i return my amp? cus this is the first time i've had it running for a while it a high volume..

or do you think it was the outlet?
Quote by KG Karnage
no, i was wearing sneakers. but should i return my amp? cus this is the first time i've had it running for a while it a high volume..

or do you think it was the outlet?

I wouldnt return it yet. If it works fine with the same setup one a carpeted flooring...I really don't see it being anything other than a bad ground on the outlet...but why would it only transfer through to your amp........ Are their cables 3-prong as well?

Also, inb4 the MG haters that will tell you to sell your amp and get a new one....
well i'm 99% sure the other amps had 3 prongs.

my friend said he felt it on his guitar as well when he plugged it into his amp though- then again he may have just been paranoid.

so the quality of the power source was definetly questionable...
would it help if i put the amp on a wooden stool or something? get it off the concrete?
The concrete may be a factor in the problem as well, however I think that switching outlets will fix your problem (unless the whole panel box is wired that way for that space).
Alright thank you very much, i really appreciate it

i'll raise it off the ground and talk to my friend about plugging the splitter in to another outlet then.

and the place i bought it from has great customer service so if the problem continues i'll just return the amp
for sure, good choice.

On returning the amp though

If you change outlets and get the same problem, but don't get the same issue elsewhere (other house etc) then it will happen with ANY amp....not just this one.

glad I could help.
Carpeted floor insulates you from ground. It's either one of the amps or the house wiring. You can get an extension cord with a GFI to protect you but it will probably just keep blowing, so you should look for the answer (but not a bad idea to have a GFI). Get a cheap multimeter and check it out. Do some research on house wiring. The wide blade is neutral and should measure 0 AC volts to the ground prong. The narrow blade is hot and should measure 110 AC volts to neutral and the ground prong. You guitar bridge should measure 0 volts AC to the ground prong when plugged in.
i get this when im playing my MG

cant wait for next week when i get my new amp finally!

its been years too long....