I recently tried to record with a microphone. I wanted to get a few distorted clips of my guitar. So I set up the mic on a stand and put it in front of one of the speakers. I record a riff and play it back. It doesnt sound very good. It sounded kind of "far away" and with a small echo. My amp is in the garage, so i move into to my room (which is considerably smaller) with my practice amp and try it there. I get the same results. How can i get a better sound with my mic. I am using an AKG vocal mic so that may be the problem. Do i need to get a condesor mic? I record straight into my laptop and onto Audacity(New software is on the way).
Help is appreciated.
--------------------------------
GEAR
Guitars----
Aria:Ariana
Ibanez:RG7321
Peavey:Raptor Sig. series
Peavey:EXP Sig. series
ESP LTD: V-500
Amplifiers----
Orange 2X12 cab
Peavey: JSX
Peavey: XXL
Um, dynamic and certain specific ribbon mic's reproduce electric guitars the best IMHO, and I think a lot of people will agree. The thing is, MIC placement is a HUGE part of recording guitars, and sometimes just getting a good mic placement takes several hours. If you put the mic right up against the speaker grille cloth, turn your guitar and amp up and make sure the gain levels on your pre-amp or in your DAW are good, then you should be okay.
how exactly are you plugging that mic into the computer? via an audio interface? or just into the mic jack?

mics need to be preamped
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by Silenced7
Um, dynamic and certain specific ribbon mic's reproduce electric guitars the best IMHO, and I think a lot of people will agree. The thing is, MIC placement is a HUGE part of recording guitars, and sometimes just getting a good mic placement takes several hours. If you put the mic right up against the speaker grille cloth, turn your guitar and amp up and make sure the gain levels on your pre-amp or in your DAW are good, then you should be okay.

no! don't put a dynamic mic right up to the grille. you'll get horrible boomy proximity effect, put it a good few inches away
The mic I am using is a decent $60 AKG Vocal mic. i am plugging it into the line in input on my computer.
--------------------------------
GEAR
Guitars----
Aria:Ariana
Ibanez:RG7321
Peavey:Raptor Sig. series
Peavey:EXP Sig. series
ESP LTD: V-500
Amplifiers----
Orange 2X12 cab
Peavey: JSX
Peavey: XXL
Quote by Zoot Allures
no! don't put a dynamic mic right up to the grille. you'll get horrible boomy proximity effect, put it a good few inches away

This is all a matter of opinion. The studio I was in last week micd the guitars with the mics against the grille center of the cone, and then the other mic was against the grille and off-axis.

Again, all a matter of opinion, however this is how I've seen it done in several studios.
The mic you are using should be fine. I use cheaper mics than that and get excellent results. My most expensive is a 30 dollar condenser. Quite nice actually. But technique is more important that equipment.
You MIGHT consider investing in an interface, but you can live with line in easily. I did it forever. Your mic might have a very tight pattern and drop off quickly when you move it back from the sound source. Try putting it right against your grill cloth or less than an inch away from it.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
The mic you are using should be fine. I use cheaper mics than that and get excellent results. My most expensive is a 30 dollar condenser. Quite nice actually. But technique is more important that equipment.
You MIGHT consider investing in an interface, but you can live with line in easily. I did it forever. Your mic might have a very tight pattern and drop off quickly when you move it back from the sound source. Try putting it right against your grill cloth or less than an inch away from it.

I agree....I have found some mics (mostly AKG) that do quite a decent job for the price.... after all...not everyone has 1200$ to drop on a ribbon mic