I have a very rare and very amazing vintage amp.
Sounds great and is in good condition.

The probllem is my band gig often and to be honest i think gigging with a vintage amp is just asking for trouble really...Ive had a few problems with it packing up at gigs and last night was the final straw because it died at sound check and i had to use a marshall MG!!!!!!!!!!!!! not good when your used to vintage tones i can tell you.

So im looking to get it fixed and then sell it.

Any recomendations for an amp for about 1000 of my Great British but very rubbish and worthless Pounds? I play classic rock and use a ZenDrive for my main overdrive. Was thinking a Marshall - esque sound might be good or some thing with better cleans to use with the ZenDrive.

Wouldnt mind a head or combo really. Its for classic rock and blues rock. So traditional amp designs are best. One channel would be ideal really (unless its like the old marshall set up - but no channel switching amps if possible). For gigs of around 400 people ideally, i have a power break if need be.

***the valves light up but the on of switch has no effect, the light switch wont come on and there is no sound from the amp.***
For one channel cleans, I'd check Matamp or maybe a Fender Bandmaster or Deluxe Reverb Reissue.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
It seems weird that the on/off switch has no effect, but the tubes light up. Seems to me like it could be a fuse...but then the amp wouldnt come on at all....
id go for a mesa triple rec, they have great tones. is that 1000 before or after you expect to sell the amp?
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by TK1
id go for a mesa triple rec, they have great tones. is that 1000 before or after you expect to sell the amp?

lol, a triple rec in the UK is something crazy like 2000 GBP.
Gonna actually tell us what amp it is you have that broke? You seem to be avoiding the name.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Gonna actually tell us what amp it is you have that broke? You seem to be avoiding the name.

I wanna say its a plexi.
Once ive sold it Im using that money for a new amp.

I dont know much about amp stuff but maybe its a fuse. Im taking it into a local guy who might be able to help. If its totaly dead im screwed.

I am still considering going down the matamp reissue route just so im with what feels comfortable but we shall see.

How are the fender reissues?

Matamp GT-120, fourty years old. * didnt notice i hadnt posted what amp it was!
Last edited by The_0thersid3 at Jul 4, 2009,
Go for an old 800, gotta love them =D

Or a plexi.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by The_0thersid3

Matamp GT-120, fourty years old. * didnt notice i hadnt posted what amp it was!

wow......
Yep. Its a great amp. I will realllllly miss it but this is the second time it has died on me. Maybe its just loose solder or something, if it is i can just have it all re-soldered and it will be as good as old (new). The best sounding amp i have ever heard.
It probably needs a recap and may even have the original tubes in it... there are some amps from way back when that have ancient tubes that still run on 'em.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
If there's not a serious problem with it, you should keep it. It will probably cost you less to get it fixed than getting a new amp and you will probably be a lot happier with it.
Doood, don't sell it!!! Get it thoroughly rechecked, get the caps replaced, maybe do a comsetic overhaul and you should have an absolutely solid amp. Selling a 40 year old Matamp would be a sin! If you do however intend to get a new one, why not go for an Orange of your liking seeing how it will be similar to your Matamp. I personally really like the AD30 and you could probably do well with a TV50 or maybe even find an OR120. Best of luck in your search/decisions.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Well. Im going to see what i can do.
The valve are new.
I may sell it, i may keep it.
If i get it fixed i will post it up on here because people seem interested in buying it.

I dont want to loose her but i also need reliability.

Ive looked at these amps, what do people think?

65 amp soho
Blackstar artisan
Fender bass man
65 DRRI
Fulton – webb
What kind of sounds do you need? What genres will you be playing?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Most old school Fender tube amps will work for what you want, but if you want slightly less bright cleans than a Roland JC-120 would work and it might take pedals better.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
The Deluxe Reverb reissue sound like it would be right up your alley.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
The Deluxe Reverb reissue sound like it would be right up your alley.

Great amp.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Clean tones are amazing, as with nearly every other Fender tube amp and it breaks up rather nicely at higher volumes. I'm not sure if it would stay clean in a band setting though, so if you need that the Twin/Super/Pro Reverb is what you want.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

I trust my vintage amps more than I trust new amps. If you get it serviced (properly), it will easily give you ten years of trouble-free use.
Cornford Hurricane/Roadhouse.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by TK1

For Blues rock/Classic Rock? Are you mad?

Sounds to me like you're much more firmly in the Marshall/Orange camp - Fenders might be a bit too bright and clean for you.

I'm getting amazing rock/blues tones with a Marshall 18W clone at the moment - well worth looking into, along with a Marshall Silver Jubilee (best bet is the Ceriatone clone), Orange Rockerverb, Traynor YCV50 and perhaps a Kustom Coupe '36.
Quote by ChrisBW
If there's not a serious problem with it, you should keep it. It will probably cost you less to get it fixed than getting a new amp and you will probably be a lot happier with it.

This. Don't sacrifice the tone from that thing. A lot of vintage amps really are built to last and this dosn't really sound like a serious problem. I bet you could get it fixed pretty easy
Quote by The_0thersid3
Yep. Its a great amp. I will realllllly miss it but this is the second time it has died on me. Maybe its just loose solder or something, if it is i can just have it all re-soldered and it will be as good as old (new). The best sounding amp i have ever heard.

man, seriously. don't sell the amp!!! You don't wanna sell it only to get something you dont rly like you know
I think something may be loose you know?
Drove it to a gig in a van and we had a problem with the switch, next time we put it in a car seat and it was ok, after that we put it in the 'trunk' of the car and we have a problem....
my theory is maybe the suspension from the seat protected the amp from extra vibrations. Is this a posibility?

I need this amp to be reliable. what kind of things would an amp tech do to it to ensure its more reliable?

Back on the subject of amps...

I was thinking of maybe getting an orange or matamp re-issue or some kind of fender clone.
Arent fenders really expensive over here because they are made in the US?
yeah, fenders are a bit more in the UK i believe. since you have a matamp and love the sound, just get a new one if you decide to sell yours
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Dude, I saw a Matamp GT120 going for $3000 on eBay yesterday. You'd have to be mad to sell it. Take it to a respectable tech and have him do a thorough maintenance on it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Yeah, them Matamp's are crap and known for that, i'll give you a Tenner and a Bacon Sarnie for it.....Please?
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by The_0thersid3
I think something may be loose you know?
Drove it to a gig in a van and we had a problem with the switch, next time we put it in a car seat and it was ok, after that we put it in the 'trunk' of the car and we have a problem....
my theory is maybe the suspension from the seat protected the amp from extra vibrations. Is this a posibility?

I need this amp to be reliable. what kind of things would an amp tech do to it to ensure its more reliable?

Replace old parts that have/may fail. It'll end up being more reliable than a new amp, because they were simply better made in the good 'ol days.
Ok. If the matamp cant be fixed ill replace her. (ill even sell her on here for a reasonable price and maybe some one here can find a way to fix her) If i can get her fixed i will keep her and save up for a new cab and I will make a NAD thread and will post clips and pics for you all.

Thanks for the help guys!
You're mad for even thinking of selling such an amazing piece of gear. Shame on you!

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Its not only the best amp i have heard (the gt120) its also the best GT-120 i have ever heard.

Bassed on old Hi-Fis this amp is one of the originals with its own unique tone, matamp, vox, fender and marshalls are all the basis for thousands of amps, only the matamp has stayed unchanged for 45 years.
Then why in the world would you consider selling it?!!?!! Since it's PTP wiring, it will be really easy for any good tech to fix whatever the issue is. Don't even think about selling it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Rock monkey 18 watt Dirty box of fun. The UG discount I offer extends to amps too so it come in about 10 quid under budget for you. I've also got a couple tweed and blackface style amps that were used as demo pieces that I could give you a very good price on if you are interested but I think the 18watt would be a better option for you. Send me an email if you are interested or go to the contact us page of my website and you can get my number and give me a call and we can talk about what exactly you need.
Not taking any online orders.