god, ever since i learned the blues scale, i've been stuck using it, and only it! I really want to get better at playing more metal things like Protest the Hero, but every time i sit down to learn, or just try to play some improv, it always comes back to the pentatonic scale. i know that playing scales more often will help, but i really dont know which scales to use. so what do you guys think will be best at getting me away from my blues rut and into the metalzorz?

Also, i'm in a rut with speed, what would help with that?

here's an EDIT: i've already tried the whole scales thing, but i really think i need more that just scales to get what i want out of guitar
Last edited by bandt at Jul 4, 2009,
i've already learned harmonic minor actually hah,

i've known it for some quite some time lol, i just cant apply it to anything i play!
nice, i'm in the same situation as you :P
i could use some help with this as well. I think mixodylan scales are good for metal (raised 4th)

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
ha, i'm betting a lot of it has to do with my dad pushing me into play A LOT of southern rock when i was first starting to learn..damn him!! but since then i've taken a music theory course in high school so i know all these scales, i just can't apply them to anything gah
Quote by hugh20
i could use some help with this as well. I think mixodylan scales are good for metal (raised 4th)

actually mixolydian is a flat 7. raised fourth is lydian or locrian
Last edited by samburl at Jul 4, 2009,
Quote by hugh20

I think Mixolydian is used more for blues and rock...at least thats what I use if for.

Try Natural Minor, and look at pentatonic riffs that are used in metal context... Randy Rhodes, Tommy Iommi used pentatonic in their solos often. I think that Judas Priest, Motorhead, and Iron Maiden's Guitarists also used pentatonic as well.
Last edited by whitenihilist at Jul 4, 2009,
Quote by samburl
actually mixolydian is a flat 7. raised fourth is lydian

i tend to think about my modes as "mixolydian means it starts on the 5th, so D is the 5th in the key of G, so play the G scale starting on a D" lol

but enough thread jacking!! i need help =[
Quote by whitenihilist
I think Mixolydian is used more for blues and rock...at least thats what I use if for.

Try Natural Minor, and look at pentatonic riffs that are used in metal context... Randy Rhodes, Tommy Iommi used pentatonic in their solos often. I think that Judas Priest, Motorhead, and Iron Maiden's Guitarists also used pentatonic as well.

but the point is i want to get away from pentatonic scales lol
play with other scales but don't use more notes than your comfortable with. start off with only a few notes and slowly add more as you get used to that scale
Quote by samburl
play with other scales but don't use more notes than your comfortable with. start off with only a few notes and slowly add more as you get used to that scale

read my OP edit
thats really all there is too it. maybe you were just born to play blues.
Learn some solos you like and steal little bits out of them, thats what just about everyone else does
maybe i am, to bad i'm not very good at teh blues either lol

i'm thinking that guitar just isn't my thing, but i'm not going to give up. i play bass a lot and for school jazz band, so i've got a pretty good grasp on it. and i'm pretty much a beast at trombone (state honor band lol) so if i don't really achieve what i want on guitar within a year or two, i'm just going to say screw you to having it as a primary instrument
i used to play trumpet in my school band lol. and if yours is anything like mine, you wont be able to think of anything but blues and classical.
My last idea is learn the key of a metal song and do improv over it, that way it cannot sound like blues!
You don't need to get away from pentatonic scales, you just need to stop playing blues.

In other words stop simply moving your fingers mechanically and actually think about what sound you want to achieve and also actively listen to what you're creating...if it's not what you want then do something different, it's not really got anything to do with scales.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i call for locrian which is a very uncommon dark sounding scale which can only really be used agaisnt diminished chords. Also it be helpful to know what the modes of the major scale are e.g. ionian another name for major, dorian which is used agaisnt minor chords, phrygian also minor inclinde, lydian and mixolydian are more major, locrian, and aeolian which is the basis of the pentatonic scale and is also called the natural minor.
to work them out just find out what the notes are in a key for example c major- c d e f g a b and locate them on each string or you could just go on all guitar chords. com
Well, It's not bad be stuck with the blues. It's just a matter of time, I think that you should keep working on the blues, specially in your feeling. Then you could do some speed exercises and try to open up to learn techniques related to metal. But don't give up on blues.
Quote by steven seagull
You don't need to get away from pentatonic scales, you just need to stop playing blues.

In other words stop simply moving your fingers mechanically and actually think about what sound you want to achieve and also actively listen to what you're creating...if it's not what you want then do something different, it's not really got anything to do with scales.

LISTEN TO THIS MAN.

It's the phrasing that makes the bluies sound so distinctively bluesy, try learning some completely different music and try to really think about the phrasing they use rather than the notes, that'll help you bust out of the rut.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by vigenharutyunya
hmmm idk the only thing i found out that the C ionian is thesame major scale but started from the 2nd note mmm or something like that.. is that true??

no the major scale and the ionian are exactly the same thing
Quote by samburl
actually mixolydian is a flat 7. raised fourth is lydian or locrian

No... Locrian has a diminished fifth in it. The augmented fourth is the same distance away from the root note as the diminished fifth, but has a completely different function.
you know, i've really been thinking about this and my future would really be in the blues lol..i mean i LOVE playing jazz bass and plan on using it as a primary instrument in college and those genres are pretty similar. so i've been messing around with open tunings and a slide..i've particularly fallen in love with open d...so does anyone have any tips or suggestions on what do with this?