Hey guys.

I have a classical guitar and I want to install a pickup on it.

I don't really want to buy another classical guitar with one already installed cause I love the sound and feel of my current guitar.

I'd also prefer for it to be a piezo pickup.

So is it possible to install a piezo pickup on a nylon string classical guitar?

And the guitar does have laminate sides. But it is solid top.

So is this possible?

And how much would this cost to get done?

Thanks.
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

Originally Posted by Sol9989:
I cum blood
never gonna give you up,
all fap together
to 2 girls 1 cup?
Mm anyone?
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

I cum blood
never gonna give you up,
all fap together
to 2 girls 1 cup?
I'm not too sure about this, so don't quote me on this, but just know that the wiring and stuff will mess with the sound of the guitar. My friend had a steel string acoustic, and put in a pickup and the wiring kinda dampened the sound of the whole thing.

PS: Pretty sure you're not supposed to bump posts, not sure though.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by Guitar2theface

PS: Pretty sure you're not supposed to bump posts, not sure though.

Nah your not meant to bump threads.

Quote by legionbassist
Hey guys.

I have a classical guitar and I want to install a pickup on it.

I don't really want to buy another classical guitar with one already installed cause I love the sound and feel of my current guitar.

I'd also prefer for it to be a piezo pickup.

So is it possible to install a piezo pickup on a nylon string classical guitar?

And the guitar does have laminate sides. But it is solid top.

So is this possible?

And how much would this cost to get done?

Thanks.

I vote.. Stop being cheap, get a new guitar with a pickup on it, cos it'll probs wreck the guitar.
There are several available-Dean Markley, Fishman,DiMarzio-that fit across the sound hole and cost $70-$100- if you want to go cheap and have a soldering gun you can get a piezo transducer and a 1/4" phone jack at RadioShack (about $5) and your in business- this is what I've used for my home made CBG's. Some two sided tape works to stick the transducer on-you'll get different sound depending on where you mount it.
i believe you cannot fit a regular pickup to a classical guitar, as the strings are not metal, and the pickup (providing it's magnetic) won't 'hear' the sound, so you're going to have to go for a piezo.
Thank you. Well first sorry for bumping thread..

Second Im not being cheap.. I mentioned that I like the feel and sound of the guitar.

Not because I want to save money.

And I would prefer a pickup to be instaled into the guitar so i can plug it in etc?

like a piezo pickup. and have them drill into the guitar.

Like can they do that?

I cum blood
never gonna give you up,
all fap together
to 2 girls 1 cup?
Quote by legionbassist

like a piezo pickup. and have them drill into the guitar.

Like can they do that?

Yes they can do that. The thing is the bracing and lightweight of a nylon classical (as opposed to say, a steel-string acoustic) means it is more succeptable to the weight of a preamp and pickup on it changing its tone. I couldn't give you a price because honestly, I just don't know, but I do know its possible. If you want a preamp actually on the guitar then just realize the tone of your guitar will change some...just a piezo pickup shouldn't change it too much though, but its harder to adjust the tone and sound.

One alternative is trying to mic it. Either with an outside mic, or get an internal mic, which is easier for someone to install in a classical than peizos, and should thus cost less for the installation, maybe a little more for the actual electronics but probably not much, and if you get a good mic then it will have a better representation of your tone than peizos unless you get the stupidly expensive peizo pickups.
Composer of Scores for Film/Video Games/TV/and More!
Contact me if you have a project that you need music of any style for!
Last edited by ReChord at Jul 4, 2009,
Ah thank you that is very helpful. (:

And ah i do sorta like the sound of a piezo.

As i dont really use the classical guitar to play classical music.

More of my own style of acoustic music (:

And so there would be like an input plug on the guitar?

I cum blood
never gonna give you up,
all fap together
to 2 girls 1 cup?
A piezo or soundboard transducer are your best bets. There are some that are specifically made for classical guitar; a google search should point you in the right direction. Usually, input plugs are put where the strap peg is located. They ream the hole a little bigger and place the input there.

EDIT: Off my game a little bit...what do you need to amplify it for? If you're looking to record, you'd do much better off with a decent condenser microphone than a pickup.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.