Should I stop? Like, say for the intro to Cliffs of Dover, for fast, short riffs on the same string, I just pick once. Is this ok? Natural? Should I stop?
do whatever sounds good to you. if you like what you hear, keep going, if not, try picking everything.

imo, it really depends on the sound you want to get. if you want a more aggressiv sound, pick everything
If you're doing it to cover up the fact that you can't pick then all you're doing is kidding yourself that you're better than you are.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 4, 2009,
Yes! Whatever sounds right to you becomes YOUR style. HOPO's give a smoother sound than individual picking so you might try adding in some serious bends to make it even smoother. Mix in some sustaining vibrato if you like. That's what I tend to do with a lot of what I play. Then the odd divebombed, pinched harmonic has more impact than just throwing everything at it all the time.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I can alt pick fine, its just that I find this easier for me, and I kinda like the smoother sounds. Just wondering if this was bad to do. Thanks.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
It's called legato when you go for a smoother style and use techniques like hammer-ons, pull-offs, tapping, and economy picking to ensure minimal picking is necessary. As long as you can play the riff or passage either way (except for tapping stuff for obvious reasons), you aren't doing yourself any harm to prefer playing more smoothly.
Don't worry about it if you like how you sound at the moment. Vai uses mostly legato and it helps him sound fluid and flowing, rather than punchy and cut up. Whatever sounds good.
Be able to do it both ways. Good technique is (in my opinion) being versatile enough to play whatever you want with the sound that you want.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Just so long as it sounds good I don't see no reason as to why it's not ok. However like most people are saying make sure you can play the riffs as they're supposed to be played, and if you can hammering on and pulling off the majority of the time should be fine.

I'm probably the opposite to you though. I hate playing all riffs with hammer on's and pull off's. I just don't like the way they sound when you do it a lot of the time.
All the excitement
Blew me away
Through time
Straight through space just to here
I've got a legend to tell you today
So listen up, I want you all to hear