Hello fellow guitar players!

Since a few months I play guitar and I love it! I have an okay Squier Bullet but I notice that I am in for something new and better.

I play mostly Metallica and Black Sabbath, and I use a Fender FM212R amp and a Boss MT-2 metalzone distortion pedal.

The guitars I can't choose between are:

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Epiphone Korina Explorer
LTD EX-260

Please tell me your opinions, and thanks for reading!
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 RI
Gibson Les Paul Custom '57 Historic RI '05
Fender American Vintage '52 RI Telecaster '02
Fender American Vintage '62 RI Stratocaster '07
get the LTD!!!
Mah gear :p

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
BC rich NJ neck thru series warlock
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

"Remember your a WOMBLE!!!"
Quote by Morrie2995
dude you just became my hero. Nice
The Les Paul is a nice guitar, as well as the explorer. Not sure about the LTD.

Have you played them?
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

But can you all please tell WHY you prefere one? Thanks for responding.
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Since you're only getting into guitar, I'd recommend the Les Paul. It's the most versatile out of the 3, so if you want to diversify into other styles of music other than metal, it will be fine. The Explorer might be the same, but the body can be a bit of a novelty at first and you might just get tired of it.

I vote the Les Paul.
R.I.P. Lester William Polsfuss June 9, 1915–August 13, 2009
Quote by Moggan13
I'm dissapointed by the lack of penis.

If anyone sigs that, i'll fucking kill them.
Quote by Kensai
I'm a good person and I never meet any pretty girls who loves jesus
Quote by -NOFX-
Since you're only getting into guitar, I'd recommend the Les Paul. It's the most versatile out of the 3, so if you want to diversify into other styles of music other than metal, it will be fine. The Explorer might be the same, but the body can be a bit of a novelty at first and you might just get tired of it.

I vote the Les Paul.

+1

I'd go for a Standard rather than Custom though.
Fender US Standard Strat '07
Epiphone Les Paul '94
Marshall MG100FX
Dunlop Cry Baby
Boss ME-70
Boss TU-2
And why would you prefere a standard above a Custom ?
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Perhaps you guys also have other suggestions? But I want to stick with Epiphone and LTD.
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Played all 3, own one... definitely go with the Explorer. It's the most versatile of the 3, it'll do blues and rock no worries, and it'll handle just about any metal you want to play, even with the stock pickups. Very reliable, too. Takes drop-tunings just as well as standard tunings. Extremely stable tuners. Only thing is it is quite heavy... if you can deal with that, it's amazing.
I would go for the Les Paul.

- Most Versatile
- Easy to upgrade individual parts, if you choose to do so.
- Simple design that won't become a novelty.

The LTD has an agathis body, I'm not going to get into an argument on tone-woods, but many would say that agathis is of very poor quality and only used in very cheap guitars.

The ESP website listed their pickup as "ESP LH-301 (B&N)"... It looks like an EMG style humbucker, with the magnets covered... But I'm not actually sure what it is.

If it's an active pickup, you may not appreciate the sounds (but then again, you may love the sounds).
I vote the Explorer or the Les Paul. They're gonna have similar pick-ups and an overall similar tone. Both are gonna be heavy feeling, when I owned an Explorer I found it to be really nicely balanced, which made up for it weighing so much.

The LTD is made of agathis, which is generally considered one step above plywood and CFB. The Les Pau is nato, which tends to make a better tone wood then agathis. There's a few high end guitars made of nato, I've never heard of agathis being used for a high end guitar.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Jul 4, 2009,
I'd go with the Explorer, it seems to be the best of the bunch as far as versatility and its made of korina, which is a fantastic tonewood. I'd suggest playing it first though, because its a love/hate shape to play
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
For what you want to play, a Les Paul is ideal. But please not an Epi! There are much better options in other brands, (Burny, Tokai, Agile in US or Vintage in Europe) I played many of the Epiphone range recently and found them all wanting. They just felt like cheap rip-offs that you can get for $100 or so.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Why gibson? If you're starting to look into thrash metal and stuff like that, gibson is NOT for you. Go for the esp, because they tend to play better than anything gibson makes.

Or better yet (I know I've said this five million times now: ) go Ibanez, and get this!

Last edited by SlayingDragons at Jul 4, 2009,
Korina is awesome for metal, you will get a great sound and the ltd ur looking at is one of the badder cheaper one a
which dont play too great
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Why gibson? If you're starting to look into thrash metal and stuff like that, gibson is NOT for you. Go for the esp, because they tend to play better than anything gibson makes.
I disagree. First of all, he never said gibson, and second of all, Les Pauls can definately handle thrash metal. James Hetfield plays a Les Paul, as does Kirk Hammet. They also play ESP's though you can't go wrong with that.

A Les Paul will give you more versatility than the LTD. And sorry, but I have never played an Explorer. I vote Les paul... But ultimately it is about which one feels better in your hands, and which one sounds better to you.
90% of the time these threads never work out. You are just going to get what you wanted the most to start off with
Ibanez.
Thats the thing Cruc1a7, I have really no clue wich one I like the most. I think I like the LTD the least from the design. But between the explorer and the Les Paul I really can't choose. The LP is a bit normal looking wich makes it unexciting but in time you won't dislike the model for sure. With the Explorer thats a risk because I might get bored of the design, however, at the moment I like it very much.

Thanks all for the response so far. I hope you will stay posting!
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Wait a second, why are you getting a low end LTD or a top-end epiphone? Get an EX-401 if you get an LTD.

BUT: I say amp first.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I am actually very happy with my amp. Its my second one and it sounds amazing in my opinion.
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
I am still doubting between the Les Paul and the Explorer. Anyone more arguments?
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW