Alright so I'm getting kinda good at changing chords, but my left hand fingers are not doing too well in their stretching aspect. On chords like a C, my fingers point off at angle instead of my fingers coming peripendicual to the fret board. Kinda makes them lay flat a bit and sometimes just barely mutes strings. I can play the chord and it sounds okay (not great) but when playing individual strings in that chord you can really hear the kind of palm mutey sound.

I've tried doing those fret board finger stretching exercises, but they don't feel right. Doesn't feel like my fingers are stretching. I can't really hold my fingers onto the frets so that they will stay and stretch, when I try to fret the other frets my fingers want to slide towards them instead of getting stretched out.

Like doing like doing 9,11,12,13 on the low E string (the fat one). I put my pointer finger on 9. and then I can get my second finger on 11 without my pointer moving (but it's an awkward position) but as soon as I place any more fingers doing, my pointer wants to slide into the 10th fret.

Does anyone know any other ways to stretch their fingers, or know what I'm doing wrong with this finger stretching exercises? If anyone has any methods that I can do without a guitar would be great also so I can do it while at work instead of just sitting there pretending to work.

EDIT: Also I'm kind of curious with those who have really good stretching in their left hand. Does your right hand stretch just as much as well? (Wondering how much of a brain thing it is more than a muscle thing. I've heard some people say that stretching is just training your brain to let your muscles bend that far and knowing they aren't going to rip) If I just try to stretch fingers out it appears my right hand stretches out more than my left and I don't even try to improve it's stretching...
Last edited by Kalagaraz at Jul 4, 2009,
Where is your thumb when you play? it should (generally) be behind your second and third fingers, so if you in the first position, it should be behind the 2nd fret. Avoid letting it stick out over the top of the fret board.

If your thumb isnt in the place, the finger exercises are going to be futile.
Quote by whocares09
Where is your thumb when you play? it should (generally) be behind your second and third fingers, so if you in the first position, it should be behind the 2nd fret. Avoid letting it stick out over the top of the fret board.

lol no way my thumb is getting behind those fingers while trying to do that stretch. I guess my fingers are extremely out of shape (They should be uber strong since I can type 140+ wpm).

Guess I need to start out on the high E string (the thin string, that's referred to as high E right?)
Quote by whocares09

My thumb is way off when I do that, the exercise mentioned in the OP (9-11-12-13) my thumb is behind the 9th fret (almost the 8th) and in the middle of the neck (the back). I dunno, maybe it's personal preference? Anyway, this is what I use for finger stretching.

--------------13-------------13-------------10-------------10--
---------12--------------11-------------11-------------12------
-----11--------------12-------------12-------------11----------
-10--------------10-------------13-------------13--------------
---------------------------------------------------------------

Then ascending (up the strings). Once it goes through all 6 strings, put a gap in between one of them.

-------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------
-------------13------------13------------9--------------9----
--------12-------------11------------11------------12--------
----11-------------12------------12------------11------------
-9---------------9------------13------------13---------------

Wow in a way, that ended up being somewhat what was in the OP. Anyway, after that add a space in between ring and pinky then in between middle and ring. Use them as warmup exercises and it will gradually get easier.
Guitars:
Epiphone SG
Schecter Damien FR
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amps:
Epiphone Studio 10S Practice Amp
Peavey ValveKing 212

Effects:
Vox V847 (NOT V847A) Wah Pedal
DOD FX55-B Supra Distortion
Quote by Slash546
My thumb is way off when I do that, the exercise mentioned in the OP (9-11-12-13) my thumb is behind the 9th fret (almost the 8th) and in the middle of the neck (the back). I dunno, maybe it's personal preference? Anyway, this is what I use for finger stretching.

--------------13-------------13-------------10-------------10--
---------12--------------11-------------11-------------12------
-----11--------------12-------------12-------------11----------
-10--------------10-------------13-------------13--------------

Then ascending (up the strings). Once it goes through all 6 strings, put a gap in between one of them.

I really like that one. Doing it on the bottom 4 strings, I can really feel it stretching (my fingers are lame, even the first exercises you listed are hard)

the 13,12,11,10 one is really hard for me. My pinky just doesn't want to agree with that position.

Also on a side note, this finger stretching is really screwing up my typing.

EDIT: When moving up the strings, ever had problems with any of your fingers locking up? I'm what you call "double jointed" (I can bend the tips of my fingers independently from the rest of my finger) and when I move up 1 string my pinky wants to lock up on that last run and I can't get it to curl.
There's some good stretching exercises in here: [thread]1144910[/thread]. Don't force it though - if anything seems to big a stretch move it higher up the neck, where the frets are closer together. Practice it there til it feels comfortable then gradually work it back down to where its tabbed, one fret at a time.

My left hand reach is a couple of inches further than my right hand now lol
One that Classical guitarists use is like this:

E--4444--3333--2222--1111

First you place your thumb behind the the second fret (the metal, not the fingerboard) in the middle of the neck. then place your 4th finger on the 4th fret, and then place the 3rd finger on 3rd fret, second on second etc. WHILE leaving the other fingers on the frets.
Play the 4th fret 4 times, take it off so it just rises above the string (Your other fingers are still on the fretboard). Do the same for the other 3 fingers.

by stretching your fingers towards the headstock you actually get more stretch out of your hand. You need to be playing on the tips of your fingers for this to work out right.

Once you play the pattern (play it slowly) on the high e, move it down to the b string, and then the G (but only play 3333 2222 1111). Play it on the D A and E string using the four frets.

Do this a couple of times, and stop. This stretches out the skin between your 2nd and 3rd finger, because of this i can play chords that use my 2nd finger on the 4th fret and 3rd finger on the 7th fret (no joke).
It takes 6 months to a year for your hand to fully develop when using stretching exercises.
How long did it take you guys to start to notice a difference in your stretch? I'm trying to play power chords and my 3rd finger wants to point off at an angle and it makes it really hard to switch into the chords (the finger wants to fall sideways towards my first finger with tip pointing towards pick, this makes it so it's far away from the fret and doesn't ring good). I figure this is a stretching problem, though it doesn't really seem like that big of a stretch. But even while I'm patient and just trying to put my fingers near the frets, my fingers just don't want to do it, they keep sliding or leaning over.
It took me 6 months to notice any change in stretching. Powerchords shouldnt be a problem, make sure your thumb is in the right place. One fret to the right of your first finger, in the middle or upper 3rd of the neck.
how the hell do people play F chords?! with the almost full bars its impossible for my fingers

i would be able to play the full song of rebel rebel by now if it wasn't for a troublesome bs chord