hey guys sorry but prepare for a possibly confusing, unstructured post whilst i waffle on for a while!

the day has come. payday!

now i have £110 to spend on 2-3 new pickups for my Ibanez S470DXQM blue moon, as we all know the stock INF1 and 2 and INFS1 are pretty...sucky

basically, i need new p'ups for the neck and bridge and if i have any money left over, possible one for the middle too.

this will be the first guitar i plan on putting some new puppies in and im a bit stumped.

ive been looking around and i think i want to go with the Air Norton/D-sonic combo (it worked for John petrucci!) but im confused about "E" and "F" spacing? im not sure what this means. im also not sure what "K" my pots are either...

i use the neck pickup for the faster soloing then then tend to flick to bridge for high bends etc, and im after a sort of...Iron Maiden/Racer X style sound.

if any of this made sense to anyone, any suggestions for pickups and any help on spacing and pots would be greatly appriciated!

thanks!
Up The Irons!
wow i just replaced my pickups in my s470dxqm red viking 2 weeks ago, i replaced them with a dimarzio tone zone in the bridge and air norton neck and blue velvet single pup,

you should buy Fspaced pickups because of the tremelo

the pickups sound great but i don;t know if they are what you want,

if you want dimzarzio's, just listen to samples on the dimarzio site!
Quote by gitaarproff
wow i just replaced my pickups in my s470dxqm red viking 2 weeks ago, i replaced them with a dimarzio tone zone in the bridge and air norton neck and blue velvet single pup,

you should buy Fspaced pickups because of the tremelo

the pickups sound great but i don;t know if they are what you want,

if you want dimzarzio's, just listen to samples on the dimarzio site!

is that the S prestige red viking? if so...youre a lucky git! i cant get it in any guitar shop round my area cause it has to be imported at such a high price!
Up The Irons!
Quote by fullsailstudent
I guess the usa has all the hookups on ibanez now dont we

hell yeah you do! i managed to get a RG prestige through though! very nice stuff. anyway! ill look into the dimarzio sound clips now!
Up The Irons!
K is the value of ohms of the your pots in your control cavity multiplied by 1000, e.g. 25k=25000 ohms. You can check the value of your pots by opening the control cavity. Their values should be printed on them.
ah right cool man. i just had a peek inside. quite tidy!

i can see the input jack, the silver block everything connects to and 2 pots, both i beleive say 500, theres a letter/number before each one but is obscured by solder.
one looks like 3500k and the looks like P500...

sorry im new to all the technical stuff lol

so, the D-sonic has a 390 output and a 11.96k DC resistance. how does this relate to my pots?
Up The Irons!
Last edited by Moomar at Jul 4, 2009,
As you are replacing humbuckers for humbuckers they should swap out directly. You'll have to follow the manual though as your humbuckers wiring may not match Dimarzios.
Your pots will be 500K for the humbuckers, and 250K for the single coils.

The DC resistance and output/inductance of your pickups don't really relate to your pots.

Look at www.irongear.co.uk . The Steamhammer and Hammerhead are great pickups, and you could get a set of all three for well under your budget.

Edit: Also, don't judge pickups based on their DC resistance. All that tells you is the amount of wire in the coils, and doesn't take into account the pickup construction or magnets. An Alnico 5 magnet with ~10K DC might give around 5 Henries of inductance, whereas a ceramic magnet with ~10K DC coils might give around 10 Henries... which is a lot hotter.

Edit2: If you do a lot of bends and trem techniques, consider a blade pickup, like the Bill Lawrence L500XL or the DiMarzio X2N/D-Activator X.

You'd be sacrificing a bit of clarity, though.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Jul 4, 2009,