I'm in a band, and we have been going for about a couple months at school.
Anyways im way into thrash metal, Slayer,Municipal Waste,Dekapitator,Kreator,Iron maiden ( Not thrash but still awesome xD )

Anyways our other guitarist is into Ozzy which i cant stand, ACDC, bullet for my valentine ( abosolute dross ) and such
And the bass player is pretty cool but he is into funk slap stuff and he has a winge if you cant hear the bass, and we dont have a drummer.

So i've been pissed off lately, because they say we are into the same stuff but when i suggest something they have a winge and we dont get anything done, which is massivly annoying because we could get stuff done and we have only 1 song we play together which we do every time, it drives me mad.

Anyways, any ideas on how to approach the situation?
I'm open to anything here, im 14 but im mature enough for you to break it down to me or tell it straight.
Cheers
find other people to play with, or try to find a middle ground. when everyone in the band has different tastes in music, and are stubborn enough where they wont branch out and play songs that they may not like problems can arise. i myself am in a band like that, i too am into thrash metal and hardcore, but no one else in my band is. i dont fight them about playing any thrash songs because it wont happen. the only way you'll play the songs you really want to, is to find other people who are into that music.
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
Distill your influences and make your own music

Also try to make an effort to get into the music your other band members like. If they see you making an effort they might be more open to your requests.
go find some people who like the same music :s

oh and find a drummer.
Quote by Snap017
Why listen to it? That song is for emos, homos, and girls.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
And Def Leppard aren't cool. Hell, rabies and Robert Mugabe are cooler.

Ibanez MTM2
Epiphone G400
Marshall MG15MS
Boss DS-1
Digitech Death Metal
Morley Bad Horsie
Quote by guitarking15
oh and find a drummer.
Or a drum machine
*cue drum machine>drummer jokes*
haha, sounds like TS is the one with the bad taste, exept BFMV (they are nasty)
but yah, blend your influnces and be opened minded, it's how you sound unique.
my old band consited of
me-drums listening to blues and classic rock
lead guitar-classic rock, indie
rythm-melodic death metal-classic rock
singer/bassist-just about everything...
ex-keyboardist for teh ex-band-pop rock, classic rock and blues

we all had common ground with the classic rock, but we still sounded vry difrent and brought a wide variety of ideas...
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
When I was in school...I was in a band in which I was the lead guitarist and since we had very few musicians in our school (out of the 1000 students in my school...only 10 were musicians) we had to make do with what we had. I was mainly into thrash, like you, but my drummer was into punk and christian stuff(damn good player...just misguided), the keyboard player was into gospel and rnb, our two singers were into anything mainstream and cool (dnt judge em...they were actually pretty cool ppl..and damn good singers) and the bassist was my bro...who unfortunately I never got along with (and still dnt).

at first...I was like you...pissed that other ppl didnt listen to metal and weren't open to anything that seemed "metal". and this lasted for abt two months until my drummer picked up "Laid To Rest" and was so blown away by the drums that he bought a double bass pedal....and little by little...the rest of the band started picking up stuff and ideas frm metal....and to be honest...I learnt stuff frm them as well....and in the end...we had this very
weird but very cool mashup which sounded like which sounded like the bastard child of Angra and Lamb of God....with Josh Grobain down the middle....

The point I'm trying to make is......try to approach ure band members....and dnt force metal onto them...be upon to their music.....but at the same time....ask them to listen to u as well....AND MAKE SURE U DNT GIVE EM ANYTHING TOO EXTREME.......
[IMG]http://www.sickonthebus.com/images/hell_skull_index.jpg[/IMG]
Quote by Nietsche
Distill your influences and make your own music

Also try to make an effort to get into the music your other band members like. If they see you making an effort they might be more open to your requests.

this do Thrash/ACDC/funk songs, you'll all enjoy each song, and it's something new and crazy that an audience can love. You'll have thrash rock AND funk fans, TRIPLE the fanbase!!!

DISCLAIMER: This may not work. BUt try anyway
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
You could all choose one song to play together and everyone would HAVE to learn those songs. I've seen that done before and it worked out quite well.

Also, you could have a band leader. Everyone would have to agree before-hand that what he says goes and you could all vote for someone in the band other than yourselves for the position. This would work better with a drummer because then more votes could go out. If anyone wanted to play anything, they could submit it to the band leader and see what he thinks, or what everyone else thinks, but with the leader making the decision. Everyone may not like it, but if they know it's for the best of the band then it could work out.

You should also sit down with the members and write a list of songs that they like. One piece of paper per person. Then, you pass around the paper and everyone crosses off the songs they don't like. If they don't know it, they don't mark it off, encouraging them to explore new genres and try new things. Hopefully this will give you some new material to play. Then you have your session and next time everyone's learned some of the songs (the band leader can decide or everyone) and you can play together.

Also, it helps to get on the scene. Try going to some gigs as a band and you can discuss what you liked and didn't like about the performance to see what you guys would like to do together.

Make sure you get stuff done at your practices or the band will fall apart. This is what happened to me when I was 14. Whatever you do, DON'T try to write a song from scratch. If you want to write a song, then someone should already have starting riffs or a rhythm.

Hope some of these help.
Thanks a whole heap guys, i think i will try to be more open minded to the other guys interests.
The only problem would be that we don't have a drummer and if we did a maiden song i have no idea who could sing that.
I can do the Slayer Tom Araya vocals , but maybe not the falsettos screams, they are a little tricky, haha.
But the point i am trying to make is at this stage, metal is all i want to do, and i cannot sing like Bruce Dickinson at all, but i am going to listen you all and look at this in a more mature way.
Thanks a lot guys, its good to know that atleast somewhere out there. there are some great people that have my back , even if it is over a website haha.
Quote by druz15_UG
this do Thrash/ACDC/funk songs, you'll all enjoy each song, and it's something new and crazy that an audience can love. You'll have thrash rock AND funk fans, TRIPLE the fanbase!!!

DISCLAIMER: This may not work. BUt try anyway

no if i went to hear some funk and heard thrash, i would walk out, i am not into the extremly heavy metal. and i know alot of people who are into heavy music, but would walk out if your band played funk...
just find a middle ground, lay of the distortion, and let your funk bassist be heard.
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
no if i went to hear some funk and heard thrash, i would walk out, i am not into the extremly heavy metal. and i know alot of people who are into heavy music, but would walk out if your band played funk...
just find a middle ground, lay of the distortion, and let your funk bassist be heard.

If you mix them all though, everyone could find something they like about you.
I don't think he meant alternating thrash/funk/rock songs.. lol
Drink the sauce. Go on, it's okay. Just remember, I am the quest.

Quote by illuminatiano
YOU ARE A NO GOOD LAZY FORGETFUL STONER WITH NO FUTURE YOU ARE WORTHLESS TO SOCIETY
Quote by Bubbles203

Or if you mix them all you can create something no one likes because they dont want to listen to the part of the song with influences they dont like.
My opinion:
Make the bass heard. That itself opens up so many possibilities. Counterpoint melodies with the bass are awesome.

But all of you agree on a song to learn. Then learn it. Everyone's gonna mess around with their part a bit, but that's the fun part. Then try to fit it all together. Also, I don't know how you can hate Ozzy but like Iron Maiden.

My experience was when my band tried to learn One (by Metallica of course). Our bass was audible, we didn't have a rhythm guitarist or drummer (but we did have a keyboard!). The song ended up sounding really different and much more melodic then the original, but it all worked out 'cause we all liked how it came out.
Quote by Geldin
My opinion:
Make the bass heard. That itself opens up so many possibilities. Counterpoint melodies with the bass are awesome.

But all of you agree on a song to learn. Then learn it. Everyone's gonna mess around with their part a bit, but that's the fun part. Then try to fit it all together. Also, I don't know how you can hate Ozzy but like Iron Maiden.

My experience was when my band tried to learn One (by Metallica of course). Our bass was audible, we didn't have a rhythm guitarist or drummer (but we did have a keyboard!). The song ended up sounding really different and much more melodic then the original, but it all worked out 'cause we all liked how it came out.

I doubt thats gonna end up happening. I can only name one contemporary song off the top of my head that you could consider to have counterpoint interaction between the guitar and bass
I was thinking the slow part of The Crusade (the song) by Trivium.
But if no one else does it, then that certainly will make their sound more recognizable then everyone else's sound. My bassist plays pretty loudly, which makes early Metallica sound awesome.
How can shredhead not like ozzy? His stuff with randy rhoads practically invented shred alongside bands like van halen and deep purple from the 70's. TS should consider the "it's not you, it's me" approach to this one.
Hey check out my band. Prog Metal/Death/Jazz
www.myspace.com/siegeofaugusta

1993 Jackson Rhoads Standard w/ EMG's for sale, PM if interested
Quote by zezimathehero
^Shut the hell up and talk about BTBAM
Quote by Bubbles203

you'll obviosly fit in somewhere with the fand you'll have but i know alot of acdc ozzy and funk fans, who simply wouldn't appreciate it if you'r guitar playing sounded like most playing does in teh uber heavy metals even though they may like the other aspects of your music

ex. I am not into metal, but my friend got me to listen to norther, i liked some of the lead guitar work, but found the rest of the song was realy really bad. and i would not attened a concert.

i think it would be a good copromise, for ts to roll of the gain, let the bassist turn up and ask the bassist to make sure his lines do fit the song.
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

Viscara (my band)
OMFG!!! i wish i was u! i loooooove incubus's album S.C.I.E.N.C.E so much. it had funky bass with metal guitar and it was soooooooooo awesome. give Certain Shade of Green a listen and tell me it's not awesome. if you did this i would so go to one of your gigs, lol.
I like more metally songs, but no one in my band does. So the way we choose our set list is to have each person pick 2 songs they want, and we all have to learn them (more or less. We get off track a lot). Before, there were some bands I hated. I was more in to Metallica while our other guitarist/singer liked the Red Hot Chili Peppers. But, now I like the Peppers because I was forced to play By The Way.
Ever heard of the Red Hot Chili Peppers? Do a heavier version of their kind of music.
I had a go at producing a friend of mine, who was a drummer but had no mics so he came over to work out something with my keyboard rig. First session he started doing all this mad live drum machine sh*t with ambiant synth sounds over it. Next session came and he had listened to a whole load of The Prodigy so I went to his makeshift studio where we made loads of cross-genre dance-punk.

Both times I had the time of my life. Why? Open up and listen to the music, dude! There's nothing that sounds more amazing than music that's so mindblowingly bizarre that it's completely unique. I think you should try to make your own music - work around till someone gets a cool idea - in his genre of course - then try to write something each to fit in with it. Eventually you'll be changing your sound so the song holds together more, and when it does you'll have something worth playing.

Also, I usually find it's the guy who's into metal (drummers excluded) who's the most narrow-sighted. Listen to way more music and instead of dissing it straight off try to pick one thing you like in the song. You'll understand why people like different types of music that way.