im building a kit at the moment, with the intention of staining it and adding a coloured grain filler for a gibson voodoo sort of look, with different colours. problem is, i've been sanding and its starting to seem as though its never going to get smooth. as soon as it seems like it is, i wipe it off with a cloth and the bumps just come back. now i thought maybe using a wet sand approach, but im concerned about the veneer warping/ splitting, i considered sanding really heavily, but i thought it might go through the veneer, and at the moment im thinking of just putting my coloured grain filler on and then the stain later. ive been told that i should do it the other way though, so i dont know if thats a good plan.

ideas?
What kit is it?

What tool are you sanding with and what grit paper?

The voodoo look is only really going to work on ash.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
its from diykit guitars that cordoroy uses - flame maple veneer on poplar top with mahogany body.

ive been using various grits from about 600 to 1200 with a sanding block.

EDIT: the voodoo look is only for the top - the back is going to be black.
Last edited by CobenBlack at Jul 4, 2009,
You wont get that voodoo look with maple, the grain isnt coarse enough.

Try going down to 420 grit, but obviously dont press to hard to go through the veneer.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
o. Ok. i'll just do a stain then - ignoring the voodoo finish, how do i get it smooth then - there are lots of little pits and things in the guitar - shall i just sand it down till there all gone? I'm worried about losing my veneer

EDIT: thanks
Last edited by CobenBlack at Jul 4, 2009,
What sort of finish are you planning to apply after staining and grain filling?

Generally with finish sanding, you're only going to take it to 220 or maybe 320 grit, there's no reason to take it any smoother. The only time I'd sand any higher than that would be if I was going to apply an oil finish.

Are there scratches or cutter marks on the guitar? What do you mean by little pits?
to get a real smooth finish after you have gone to about 2000 grit sand paper you need to use 0000 steel wool. first run a damp cloth over it to raise the grain a bit then after it drys do your sanding then the 0000 steel wool tack rag it then stain it after the stain use a clear sealer a few coats using ooo steel wool in between then do your clear coats same process. on the last coat use the steel wool then buff it lightly. it will give you a nice shine.
i was going to apply a clearcoat or 15 for that nice shiny look i thought i should get it as smooth as i could, then stain, then clearcoat, then go all biblical on the sanding again. i've done it to aboout 1200 so far, and then i was gonna finish sand with 2000 with clearcoating.