I'm Finally done and I've turned my Bullet into a much better guitar.

The only Part I saved was the neck and the body everything else is new.

Here's what I used:

GFS Pre-wired HH pickguard

Mexican Strat Tremolo

GFS Tuners

GFS Locking Strap Pins

I also shielded the cavity to prevent any interference.

It sounds much better, and looks much better

So here it is.

Thanks for looking! Tell me what you think!
Last edited by bagpipemetal at Jul 4, 2009,
That thing is sweeeet! What did you use to finish it? That GFS pickguard/pickup combo always makes me think of rivers cuomo's strat.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Thanks! I used Miniwax stain (Maple i think) and Miniwax clear coat spray the original plan was to do a sunburst with light-to dark stain but I like this better.
That looks great! Is that an aftermarket body or did you add a veneer to it ?
Hi!

Sig Retired.
Quote by la bamba
Wow. That kind of flame was under a solid finish?

Yeah seriously. Since when did a Squier bullet have a flamed maple top?
No I did that with stain just applying it thicker in some places than in other so it's a fake flame top but obviously looks pretty good since you thought it was real!

Thanks for the comments!
Quote by bagpipemetal
No I did that with stain just applying it thicker in some places than in other so it's a fake flame top but obviously looks pretty good since you thought it was real!

Thanks for the comments!

Hey, no argument from me! It looks great. Do you have any more pictures to share, or a brief explanation of how you applied the stain? It's very intriguing indeed. I wonder if this is how Fender used to do their foto-flames.
Hi!

Sig Retired.
Sure! what I did is used paint thinner chemicals to remove the black paint (it was thick) after I had removed the paint I sanded the body down until it was smooth than I applied the finish with a sponge-brush to get the flamed look than I let it dry for a day before applying it to the back. after I let it dry for a day I sprayed on a clear acrylic and used very fine grit sandpaper in between coats of acrylic, after all the coats had been applied I let it cure than polished it. Unfortunately I don't have any pics of the actual process but here's some of the body up close.

It's not hard at all and I was surprised by the look of the wood underneath the paint I thought it would be pretty bad since it's a cheapo squier but it is actually fairly nice.
Haha that's brilliant. Does it look just as good in person? I might try this on a project neck I have. I love the way flame necks look. Do you just dabble on with the sponge? Or what's your technique. How many coats, etc?
Hi!

Sig Retired.
was the guitar already that way? or did you use some kind of maple veneer, or whatever you people call the top sweet looking layer these days....

edit: i misread something.... THAT WAS UNDERNEATH A SQUIER???
edit again: im shipping you my squier.
Last edited by ninjasnpirates at Jul 5, 2009,
^And you're like the Bill Gates of internets.

Or something like that...

This thing looks sick btw. We want to see more like this bagpipemetal.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
SEXY!!!!! the pickgaurd actually looks good on that to me that color(what ever the hell its called looks tacky) but you put it to good use good job sir
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Living stone distortion pedal
Digitech RP250
This is amazing.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Quote by Invader Jim
Holy shit.

I hereby give you all my internets.

errr, your internets is 24k dial up

TS that finish is awesome!
Haha that's brilliant. Does it look just as good in person? I might try this on a project neck I have. I love the way flame necks look. Do you just dabble on with the sponge? Or what's your technique. How many coats, etc?

I just dabbed it on not brushed it and I touched it up twice to get it darker in some areas. Miniwax Gel Stain is what I used for this and it was perfect because it's a little easier to get the flamed look since Gel and not watery like normal stain. In person if you closely looked at it you'd know that it wasn't actual flamed maple but from further away it looks real but on a guitar that I paid $100 for it's awesome!

Thanks for the compliments! The finish is not hard to do at all! I had fun doing it so I hope to do more guitar building/customizing but the money will be an important factor but sometime I want to build a V from scratch.
Last edited by bagpipemetal at Jul 5, 2009,
OMFG NICE!

*gives TS money and squier to mod*
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
TS do you think i could do this with paint on paint, or should it just be stain?

I don't know this is the first time I've tried painting a guitar I imagine it would work but it probably wouldn't be transparent so the wood grain wouldn't show through. They make different coloured stains so if you looking to do a non-woodish colour you could probably find so stain.
nah, I don't want wood grain. I want a finish similar to the PRS Red Tiger, but without the maple and when I saw this is was like HELL YEAH.

Maybe even do what you did in black stain then red candy or something
You are a hero to all owners of cheap-ass guitars.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Yeah I looked up the PRS red tiger and you could put down a coat of black stain than do re pain over it.
You are a hero to all owners of cheap-ass guitars.

I glad it turned out as well as it did with the finish since this is my first attempt to paint anything other than walls or a fence but I worked really well and was not that hard. The Humbuckers make the guitar sound so much better than the garbage squier single coils.

Thanks for the comments!
Here's in-depth instructions for doing a fake flame top:

1. Use paint thinner to strip right down to the wood.

2. Sand the wood down until it's smooth, using higher and higher grit sandpeper as you go along.

3. Use Miniwax Gel Stain (Honey Maple is what I used) and apply it using a wedge-shaped sponge brush, use side strokes to get the flamed lines, apply it thicker in some places than in others. Let it dry than touch up as needed.

4. Apply a clear acrylic coat, sanding in between coats with very fine sand paper (250 grit is what I used) apply three or four coats.

5. Let dry for twenty-four hours than buff.

If anyone else does this send me pics 'cause I'll want to see.
can I ship you my squier bullet?

It's really not hard at all, this was my first attempt at refinishing and painting anything and it turned out really well, plus its fun to do.

Just remember to use the Miniwax Gel stain, it's thicker than normal stain and works great for the flamed look.
Last edited by bagpipemetal at Jul 20, 2009,
lol amazing. I like the fake figuring. Looks pretty damn real.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
F***ing nice mate!! I seriously love it more than a lot of fender's strato models. Do you have a pic of what it looked like before starting all this?
It was a basic black strat with a white pickguard and SSS pickups. One question, should I replace the nut with a graphite one?
Quote by bagpipemetal
It was a basic black strat with a white pickguard and SSS pickups. One question, should I replace the nut with a graphite one?

I say replace it. Another thing you could do that might save you some money and time is take some pencil lead shaving and stick them in the nut so all the strings touch is the graphite. Just an idea.
RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan
February 10, 1981 - December 28, 2009

My YouTube account:
Savage Redemption

My personal gear:
Schecter Omen-6

Questions? IM me (check my profile)

Just call me Zach
Friend Me!