I'm a massive fan of metallica, but as I'm progressing with guitar, I don't want to just become like Kirk and use the pentatonic over and over (I'm following ZeGuitarists awesome course) and I'm learning the major and minor positions. What bands are like metallica that aren't focused on solos wanking the pentatonic. (Not that metallica always do that, just I need something other than pentatonic to get into) I'm not asking for weird time signatures and awkward chrod progressions, just something like Metallica, but uses Major and Minor relative scales. If also possibl,e, could you list som ebegginer - intermediate songs with solos to play with these bands. thanks in advance
Last edited by Lollage123 at Jul 4, 2009,
Childred of Bodom.
SikTh.
Malmsteen.

...idk most metal?
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
Trivium doesn't "wank" the pentatonic. And everyone says they copy Metallica so there you go. *sarcasm*
Quote by BoNScoTTRuleZ
tornado of souls by megadeth

+1 Anything Megadeth, especially when they had Friedman.
Quote by stratman7

Actually, yes.

Add Mastodon to that.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Why don't you head to metal forum?

Hell, Metallica has such lame solos compared to saaay, Nevermore or Necrophagist.
Quote by severed-metal
Why don't you head to metal forum?

Hell, Metallica has such lame solos compared to saaay, Nevermore or Necrophagist.

The only Metallica solo that I really like is Leper Messiah's.
But Metallica wasn't known for their solos though, they were known for their riffs.
You know who wanks on pentatonics - Zakk Wylde. BLS is enjoyable, but you gotta turn of your mind during the solos.
On topic - Megadeth (Marty Friedman is a big proponent of exotic scales), Mastodon, Bodom, In Flames, Soilwork, Dark Tranquility and so on, and so forth.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Quote by fantasyh
You know who wanks on pentatonics - Zakk Wylde. BLS is enjoyable, but you gotta turn of your mind during the solos.
On topic - Megadeth (Marty Friedman is a big proponent of creating scales), Mastodon, Bodom, In Flames, Soilwork, Dark Tranquility and so on, and so forth.

Fixed
also check out savatage while criss oliva was still alive. not really that similar to metallica, but it is metal
Chuck Schuldiner pretty much admitted to "making up" scales a few times.

They were real scales, but that's not the point.
Quote by kwidjibo1
oh really? i didnt know children of bodom were better than a band far more famous and popular than them, cheers for the update

Quote by Mr.Maccy
Your from the states. I end my case.
Quote by Shabadoo
Fixed

WRONG!
You can't create scales, they already exist.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
WRONG!

That's true, but he means he just came up with them off the top of his head using his knowledge of how notes work together, as opposed to already knowing the scales by rote.
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
Try some MESHUGGAH, you...
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by Lollage123
I'm a massive fan of metallica, but as I'm progressing with guitar, I don't want to just become like Kirk and use the pentatonic over and over (I'm following ZeGuitarists awesome course) and I'm learning the major and minor positions. What bands are like metallica that aren't focused on solos wanking the pentatonic. (Not that metallica always do that, just I need something other than pentatonic to get into) I'm not asking for weird time signatures and awkward chrod progressions, just something like Metallica, but uses Major and Minor relative scales. If also possibl,e, could you list som ebegginer - intermediate songs with solos to play with these bands. thanks in advance

Tool is pretty intermediate... just get a lot of effects FTW... and Dream Theater... find an easy one/slow solo...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by Zakkcd
That's true, but he means he just came up with them off the top of his head using his knowledge of how notes work together, as opposed to already knowing the scales by rote.

Haha what a dumbass... sitting in his room... "HEY! those notes sound good together!"
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Dream Theater,
John petrucci is the most innovative guitarist I know.

LIsten to solo's in other styles too
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by stratman7
Don't learn Mustaine's solos if you're trying to get away from the Pentatonics!

I think Machine Head doesn't use the pentatonic a lot.
siKth,dream theater,vai,cynic
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by oneblackened
WRONG!

Quote by Zakkcd

This, though I do suppose that created was a poor word choice. Improvised would probably be more appropriate.
Quote by oneblackened
WRONG!

yes u can.ever hear of synthetic scales?
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial