I decided to learn music theory. I already knew some basics (notes, durations, tab, etc.) but I became interested in composing, so I started by reading the theory sections of THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO GUITAR by ZEGUITARIST. I understood intervals, minor and major chords well for the most part. Then, in an article where he was "harmonizing" a scale (C major) I decided to stop and try it out in Dm, for fun.

This is what it gave me:
D MINOR SCALE: D E F G A Bb C D
The chords I could "harmonize" out of this were using ZeGuitarist's 1-3-5 method(correct me if I'm wrong):
Dmin (DFA) ???????(EGBb) Fmaj (FAC) Gmin (GBbD) Amin (ACE) Bbmaj (BbDF) and Cmaj (CEG)

The second chord confused me. E to G was a minor third, so at fist I thought the chord would be Emin but E to Bb was a FLAT 5th (FUUUUUUU).

I'm confused at this point in my music theory learning. ANSWER MY QUESTIONS, DEAR PEOPLE OF UG:

1. If I understand correctly, which I probably don't, since the minor scale in Dm was D E F G A Bb C D, does this mean that the only notes availible in Dm are these notes?

2. WTF is the E G Bb chord?

3. What are the Roman Numeral chords (I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII) and how do I find them?

4. If my method above was wrong, how do I find the chords that fit in the key?

5. I've come across a "melodic minor scale" which was constructed differently from the pure minor scale, which probably means that I'm wrong in question 1. Since the melodic minor flats the 7th, and if I'm in the key of Dm (one flat) does it change the key since there are now two flatted notes?

That's all I can think of for now, please link me to some lessons to halp me!

HALP
Quote by sureshred
I decided to learn music theory. I already knew some basics (notes, durations, tab, etc.) but I became interested in composing, so I started by reading the theory sections of THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO GUITAR by ZEGUITARIST. I understood intervals, minor and major chords well for the most part. Then, in an article where he was "harmonizing" a scale (C major) I decided to stop and try it out in Dm, for fun.

This is what it gave me:
D MINOR SCALE: D E F G A Bb C D
The chords I could "harmonize" out of this were using ZeGuitarist's 1-3-5 method(correct me if I'm wrong):
Dmin (DFA) ???????(EGBb) Fmaj (FAC) Gmin (GBbD) Amin (ACE) Bbmaj (BbDF) and Cmaj (CEG)

The second chord confused me. E to G was a minor third, so at fist I thought the chord would be Emin but E to Bb was a FLAT 5th (FUUUUUUU).

I'm confused at this point in my music theory learning. ANSWER MY QUESTIONS, DEAR PEOPLE OF UG:

1. If I understand correctly, which I probably don't, since the minor scale in Dm was D E F G A Bb C D, does this mean that the only notes availible in Dm are these notes?

3. What are the Roman Numeral chords (I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII) and how do I find them?

4. If my method above was wrong, how do I find the chords that fit in the key?

5. I've come across a "melodic minor scale" which was constructed differently from the pure minor scale, which probably means that I'm wrong in question 1. Since the melodic minor flats the 7th, and if I'm in the key of Dm (one flat) does it change the key since there are now two flatted notes?

HALP

1) yes ..... well those are the only notes found in the Dm scale. You could be in Dm and include other notes that are not from the scale though.
2) E dim
3) The chord built from each scale step are represented by Roman numerals.
large roman numerals = Major
small roman numerals = minor
small roman numerals with a 0 after it = diminished

4) seems like you got the idea
5) well melodic minor is a natural minor scale with a raised 6th and 7th, so yeah, you have to consider that when building chords off of that scale.

I wouldn't worry about Melodic minor yet though. Stick with Major and natural minor for now. When you have some quality experience with that, what you have learned will be applicable to other scales.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 4, 2009,
Quote by sureshred
Those are the notes of the D natural minor scale but you can still be in D minor and use other notes
E half-diminished
I=chord built of the root II= chord built off the second degree etc
Lowercase = Minor
Uppercase = Major
. If my method above was wrong, how do I find the chords that fit in the key
Your method is correct
Melodic minor sharpens the seventh and sixth degrees. The key signature is the same as D natural minor if that's what you mean
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=the+crusade&w=columns <-Josh Urban's crusade articles
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=FA239CA8EF73CEC9 <- Freepowers lessons. Scroll down to the bitesize music theory for guitarists part
Last edited by Nietsche at Jul 4, 2009,
Start with the major scale, it's much easier to understand, and everything directly compares to it. For example if you want an C minor scale, you take the major scale and apply the formula for for a minor scale.

So C major is C D E F G A B

To get a minor scale you must flat the 3rd 6th and 7th notes

Thus C D Eb F G Ab Bb making it minor.

On to your questions.

1: Well, yes. If you're in Dm those are the notes you'd use. You can use other notes, but that's a lesson for another day. Stick to the scale

2. That's a Diminished chord.

3. Just the order of chords in a key. Again if you're in F major
I = F
II = Gm
III = Am
IV = Bb
V = C
VI = Dm
VII = Edim

If you're especially observant, you'll notice that the chords I've just listed are exactly the same as the chords you came up with for Dm. That's because F and Dm are relative to each other.

4. Your method was correct.

5. Melodic minor is a study for another day. You need to get familiar with plain old major and minor keys first. With Melodic or harmonic minor you start getting into the weird chords like Augmented, Major/minor and so forth.
Quote by Nietsche

E half-diminished

E G Bb=Root+minor 3rd+minor 3rd

Isn't it just E diminished?

Edit: To TS, go read the crusade articles that Nietsche linked. I've just read them and it will probably clear up a lot of things for you if you read it carefully.
Last edited by shaf_9110 at Jul 4, 2009,
Quote by shaf_9110
E G Bb=Root+minor 3rd+minor 3rd

Isn't it just E diminished?
I was told that the triad is called half-diminished and you called it a proper diminished chord when you add another minor 3rd on top. Example in B -
e|------------|
B|------------|
G|--------1---|
D|---3----3---|
A|---5----5---|
E|---7----7---|

First chord is a half-diminished and second chord is plain old diminished(or so I was taught )
Quote by Nietsche
I was told that the triad is called half-diminished and you called it a proper diminished chord when you add another minor 3rd on top. Example in B -
e|------------|
B|------------|
G|--------1---|
D|---3----3---|
A|---5----5---|
E|---7----7---|

First chord is a half-diminished and second chord is plain old diminished(or so I was taught )

The first chord is a diminished triad, and would just be called "diminished". Half diminished implies a diminished triad with a minor 7th, and a fully diminished chord implies a diminished triad with a diminished 7th.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Quote by 6DgOfInTb
The first chord is a diminished triad, and would just be called "diminished". Half diminished implies a diminished triad with a minor 7th, and a fully diminished chord implies a diminished triad with a diminished 7th.
Gotcha
Im trying to read music through guitar pro and they're some notes that are in the same spot but on different strings, how do i know which string and note to play on.

Can any one explain please?
Quote by strat105
Im trying to read music through guitar pro and they're some notes that are in the same spot but on different strings, how do i know which string and note to play on.

Can any one explain please?
It all depends on the notes that come before and afterwards. You have to experiment and try and find the fingering that you find the easisest/most comfortable
heres an example of what im talking about

---------------------------------
---|--------|----------------------
--0-------0------------------------ this is on the 12th fret and 7th so how do i know which one to play

i know i just asked the same question but i dont understand your anwser
Quote by strat105
heres an example of what im talking about

---|--------|----------------------
--0-------0------------------------ this is on the 12th fret and 7th so how do i know which one to play

i know i just asked the same question but i dont understand your anwser

I really don't understand what you're asking.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
ok you know how some notes on the guitar appear more than once
on multiple strings

well on sheet music the same notes show up on the same line but are played on different strings

like the thing that i drew out up there, they are both on the same line but played on different strings and frets btw those are supposed to be quarter notes

its hard to explain really

i just dont know how to play from sheet music i can only read tabs
Oh it's supposed to be a sheet, i thought you were trying to tab something out.
It's really up for you to decide. Obviously playing the E on the string doesn't sound the same as playing the E on the A string, so you want to come as close to the original as possible.
But as i said it's up to you, whatever sounds more correct and is easier to play.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane