Hi,

I'm currently planning to buy a cheap strat-style guitar (<$250-$300) and to mod it entirely : hardware, electronics, pickups, ... (the poor-man warmoth project )

I was first looking at squier/yamaha but I feel that the agathis body won't sound great even after mods...

Do you guys have any recommandations for a cheap guitar with potential, worth upgrading ?

Thanks !

Edit : 22 frets on a maple fretboard and alder/ash body initially would be appreciated as I don't plan to touch the lutherie (body, neck, wood...)
Any Yamaha pacifica or squier, neither have Agathis bodies very often.

EDIT: I'll you hook you up with an Epiphone FAT-210 (strat copy) for like $100, I bought it and used it for a week while both my guitars were in the shop, it's in perfect condition... PM me if you're interested. Only problem is it doesn't have a maple fretboard as you requested.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Last edited by Albino_Rhino at Jul 4, 2009,
I have a squire neck on a lotus body if you want it. I already stripped the paint on the body. its got universal pickup routes. I can sell it cheap. I was gonna build it but I just dropped $800 on a 1995 american standard strat + Upgrade trem and setup. I need the money.

selling CHEAP.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Quote by Albino_Rhino
Any Yamaha pacifica or squier, neither have Agathis bodies very often.

EDIT: I'll you hook you up with an Epiphone FAT-210 (strat copy) for like $100, I bought it and used it for a week while both my guitars were in the shop, it's in perfect condition... PM me if you're interested. Only problem is it doesn't have a maple fretboard as you requested.

Thanks but with shipping cost I'm not sure it will be very profitable
As for : pacificas and squier strats I looked up musician's friend :
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-PAC012DLX-Pacifica-HSS-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar?sku=519177#new
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=510422#new

Both have agathis bodies
That's strange, they didn't used to. Buy one used, it will be cheaper anyway.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by fullsailstudent
I have a squire neck on a lotus body if you want it. I already stripped the paint on the body. its got universal pickup routes. I can sell it cheap. I was gonna build it but I just dropped $800 on a 1995 american standard strat + Upgrade trem and setup. I need the money.

I'd rather have a finished body but for the neck how many frets does it have ? Did you take off the truss rod ?

Quote by Albino_Rhino
That's strange, they didn't used to. Buy one used, it will be cheaper anyway.

Hard times, everyone needs to save money, even guitar manufacturers obviously
Last edited by slappyx at Jul 4, 2009,
I payed $60 for this neck and the body was free so thats all I want. you said cheap and this is cheap. the neck is straight with no fret wear.
Quote by BigDC
Quote by Gibshall
Quote by slappyx
I'd rather have a finished body but for the neck how many frets does it have ? Did you take off the truss rod ?

You can't really take a truss rod off without some serious deconstruction of the neck, or at least very careful drilling. Even then it would be useless as a neck because, well it wouldn't have a truss rod.

If you have a lot of money go check out warmoth.com , they sell ready to assemble bodies and necks, as well as parts.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Albino_Rhino
You can't really take a truss rod off without some serious deconstruction of the neck, or at least very careful drilling. Even then it would be useless as a neck because, well it wouldn't have a truss rod.

If you have a lot of money go check out warmoth.com , they sell ready to assemble bodies and necks, as well as parts.

Yes I didn't see the truss rod pin/nut (i don't know how it's called) in the pics that's why I asked... and no I don't have a lot of money, I hinted it in the first post
That's why I'm looking for a cheap guitar therefore I will spend most of the money on the mods...
its 21 fret. I would even build (assemble?) it for you for free just to get rid of it. but you would need to send me your parts. I can also walk you through it if you need help.
Quote by BigDC
Quote by Gibshall
Quote by fullsailstudent
its 21 fret. I would even build (assemble?) it for you for free just to get rid of it. but you would need to send me your parts. I can also walk you through it if you need help.

Well, for now I have nothing, I also need a body, it would be easier for me to have a guitar on itself... I'm sorry I can't help you on the neck... You should sell it on ebay maybe...
As for assembling, I'd rather do it myself, it's much more fun

Any suggestions except pacificas or squier strats ?
Last edited by slappyx at Jul 4, 2009,
Farida, I bought one as my first guitar for £100 (whatever that is in dollars), no idea what it is made of but it sounded pretty decent for a cheap one, definitely better than all my friends' squiers. Look for the older models though, because they had to change the shape a bit in the recent ones for copyright reasons.
Quote by twat
Farida, I bought one as my first guitar for £100 (whatever that is in dollars), no idea what it is made of but it sounded pretty decent for a cheap one, definitely better than all my friends' squiers. Look for the older models though, because they had to change the shape a bit in the recent ones for copyright reasons.

Hmhm I'm gonna check those ones out... Nice nickname btw...

Any inputs on Agile strats ?
I have an agile ST-802 and it sounds good to me. I think it's a very good value for $280.
Alder body, 22 frets, maybe what you're looking for...