Just bought my first electric guitar- Epiphone G-400. Looking for a sound that is sounds equally good as clean or distorted. What kind of strings should I buy and which brands are good, for future reference?
most people will tell you ernie ball, but i personally prefer rotosound, there strings are just so much more flexible in my opinion, ernie balls feel like steel cable even at lower gauges.

but hey thats just me 10 pence worth
Mah gear :p

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
BC rich NJ neck thru series warlock
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

"Remember your a WOMBLE!!!"
Quote by Morrie2995
dude you just became my hero. Nice
i'd go for elixir, they seem expensive but last for ages and i really like the slipery feel
Quote by rorypearce
"Orange amp owners unite"?

......form of... Tiny terror

Quote by CullenT
^

WIN!
strings all personal preference. the sound clean and distorted really comes down to the amp you have, how its eq'd, your pickups, pedals, etc. strings mae minimal difference except for how they feel on your fingers. lectures aside, I personally always use Ernie Ball strings because in my experiance, they dont break on me. and they continue to sound good for about 3-4 months. brands are all personal preference though, so i suggest buy a pack of 3 different brand strings and see for yourself. recomended gauge= 10
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
I always use Daddario , the 10-46 gauge steel wound , last long , sound great , and cheap
Vintage ICON Peter Green Replica Les Paul
Epiphone LP Standard
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 (New Valves )
Boss TU-2 & SD-1
EHX #1 Echo
I like GHS boomers myself, custom lights to be specific, theyre inexpensive and durable and sound good. thats just me anyway
personally I love Ernie Ball Super Slinkys (9-42) they feel great and have a crisp tone,
they dont last as long as Elixirs but are quite a bit cheaper
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
personally I love Ernie Ball Super Slinkys (9-42) they feel great and have a crisp tone,
they dont last as long as Elixirs but are quite a bit cheaper

+1
My Gear:

Epiphone Limited Edition '66 G-400 SG
Fender Standard P Bass
Ampeg BA115
Boss Metal Zone Pedal
Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy Analog Delay
Quote by rorypearce
i'd go for elixir, they seem expensive but last for ages and i really like the slipery feel

I second this wholeheartedly in every respect.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
i hate daddarios they are rough and mediocre sounding. Ernie Ball super slinkies feel great and I havent broken one but, in my experience, they rust up pretty quickly but then again I play daily...I just started using Dean Markley 10s and they feel as good as teh EB Slinkies but sound a bit "metallic" unplugged. I put a set of the Ernie Ball Classic Rock Slinkies on my CV strat and Im really diggin the tone from them.

PRS SE Custom w/ Duncans
Classic Vibe 50's Strat
Egnater Rebel 20
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Crate v18-112 w/ Eminence Private Jack

USSR Big Muff Pi
Line 6 Echo Park
Boss BD-2
Vox Wah
Guitar Rig 3

DO NØT CLICK THÏS LINK

Hook 'em
Quote by necrosis1193
I second this wholeheartedly in every respect.

thirded. although they tend to keep that new string sound for longer compared to other brands i've tried and this may or may not be a good thing depending on how you like your strings to sound
Quote by rorypearce

i play with elixirs, but if your at a stage in your playing where your snapping a lot of strings, i'd stick to cheaper strings for a while- and move on to elixirs when your comfortable that your not gonna tear through them.

as for what gauge, depends what tuning your using, i use 10s in standard tuning on my schecter, but thats just personal preference!
Check out my band! The Afterparty on Facebook
Well do you mainly play lead or rhythm?? that will really affect what strings to buy...
Quote by Music18
Well do you mainly play lead or rhythm?? that will really affect what strings to buy...

i do hope my sarcasm detector is broken
I use D'adarrio, they're great. They last a long time, almost as long as most coated strings (if you clean your strings occasionally with a bit of string cleaner/lubricator) and the player's point system is a nice bonus as well. I'm using nickelwound .10's.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
I'm going to say Dean Markley, just because no one else has :P

Which empathises the point: You'll just have to go on personal preference, as every string manufacteur will claim to make "the best sounding" and "the longest lasting"
After using D'Arddios, Ernie Balls, the factory strings, and some other company (don't remember the name, I remember I hated it though), I think Ernie Balls are the best. I haven't had one break on me yet (I replace strings every 2-3 months), and they feel great.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
for my electric guitars i mostly just use ernieball slinkies they r really some of the best u can get for the price. i use elixers on my taylor acoustic tho just cause elixer and taylor go together very very well.
Wow I didnt expect this many replies. Thanks everyone. I think imma go with elixirs cuz that means in the long run I'd spend less money on strings.
ive found a few sets of strings i like, first the DR JH-10 or AL-10 are great for metal, 10-56 is guages, i also like the ernie all skinny top heavy bottoms, 10-52, good for solos as well as power chords found in most metal songs,
~GEAR~
Dean Vendetta XM
Schecter Damien FR
SD 59/JB
Raven RG100H/RG412
Crate GT-15
Delta Lab Metal Distortion
Boss DS-1
Meastro Overdrive
DOD Tec8
EB STHB 10-52
Dava Picks
Quote by slashfan189
I always use Daddario , the 10-46 gauge steel wound , last long , sound great , and cheap

I've tried alot of brands. These are the ones on all my guitars now.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
ghs 9 1/2 guage santana signature strings...just because their 9 1/2's lolz
My Gear
ESP EX-400
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Peavey Valveking 112
Electro-harmonix Metal Muff with Top Boost
Mogami Cables
Dunlop Tortex Orange .60mm Picks
DiMarzio Cliplock Strap
I know that I'll catch some slack for this, but I love elixirs, super smooth, last longer than others. They are so smooth compared to my ernie balls.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
Someone i know uses 8-40 (i think) ernie balls , imagin' how bad their tone is ! :L:L
Vintage ICON Peter Green Replica Les Paul
Epiphone LP Standard
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 (New Valves )
Boss TU-2 & SD-1
EHX #1 Echo