Okay, Improvisation is (to me) like playing what is your head, while still trying to sound in key with the chord progression. I play around with improvisation once in a while but i want to become more serious with this. I know a small bit of theory, like intervals, circle of fifths, and how to find the key of a song. I also know my pentatonics, thats what i usually use to improvise with.

Is there a website where it provides good backing tracks or techniques to help with improvising?
if you're into blues, the guitar center king of the blues contest is going on. they provide some free backing tracks: http://gc.guitarcenter.com/kingoftheblues/index.cfm

then there's guitar bt: http://www.guitarbt.com/index.php?page=dl_list

youtube also has some good backing tracks - just do a search for tracks in a certain genre

good luck!
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Just be aware of chord changes and tempo shifts in a song. If you keep that in mind, just play from the heart. Base it loosely on the chords you know are below your playing and just play.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
thanks for the backing tracks.

so with improvising it should be more like going to with the gut instead of the brain?
Quote by rocklover13
thanks for the backing tracks.

so with improvising it should be more like going to with the gut instead of the brain?

It's sort of a delicate balance of both. It's like going with your gut feeling, but keeping in mind what chords you are playing over and whatnot.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by ShoeFactory
ear training is essential to improvisation.

i Understand. thanks for that bit of information, but i get kinda like a big feeling of "ummmmmmm" when i can't think of what to play and can't go to like a scale and just play around with a melody...
I typically improv with a bunch of musicians I just met for the first time. The key is always relative to the music you're playing. But why fumble around, trying to find the right key before you start playing? It's not improv then, is it. You can start playing in the wrong key and then find it during the jam.

There are other aspects just as vital to improv: the feel, the technique, and the rhythm of the music. I really implore you to read the book: The Music Lesson. It would be valuable to read.
these things we do that others may live
Quote by rocklover13
is there a site that has backing tracks and the key of the song?
Make your own. Just record a simple chord progression, then you know what key you've used and you can pick the scale to suit.
Quote by zhilla
Make your own. Just record a simple chord progression, then you know what key you've used and you can pick the scale to suit.

+ 1
if you have the ability to do this.

or you can jam over these.....
Keys, tempo, and recommended scales are given.

Jam tracks
shred is gaudy music