OK Well I've got to choose between a few heads.. I've found a few in my price range (Aus exchange rate sucks so) and yeah. I play mostly rock/alternative rock/indie rock and ocassionally some heavier stuff and then some lighter distortion almost blues-ish sort of stuff. Considering it's tube, 30-50watts is enough for me really. Anyways the heads are..

Crate V30h for $480 + $190 postage (prices are in US for now)

Peavey Valveking 100 $430 + $190 postage

Vox AC50CPH $500 + $190 postage (bit more than i have)

Crate V32h for $400 + $190 (made in vietnam though)

I'm mostly interested in the crate v30h but it's about $80 or so too expensive for me atm.. I'll ask if they would take another $80 off but if they don't then the crate v32h might be for me...
Thanks.
Most of your choices are what we'd call economical answers to a ever-highening market pricing.

The other kind of answer: pawnshopping !

I'm sure you can get your hands on old tube models anywhere in the world, you just have to look for it, and buy with your ears, not with the pricetag on the thing, most of the good stuff still out there are sleepers anyways, don't expect to pay more than what you'd have paid for a brand new amp, exept that the older model, if still running, has probably got good parts in it already.

It doesn't take anything more than a little time, and that would be an investment if you'd really find one out there. I tried, succesfully (traynor yba-1 for 200 $ here in canada). The models you listed won't have much of a price change anyways if you take a little more time to shop around a bit more.

Hope that helped, have a nice day.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
I'm talking to the guy about the crate v30head... he said i can have it for $430 + $190postage (all the way to aus)
That is around... $800AU... and it stocks on shelves in aus for literally $1,800AU.. Saving $1,000 ($800US)
Is it worth it?
OK Well i bought it.

Anyways because it's from america, it obviously has an american power cable... so I'll need to get a wall adaptor so i can plug it into australian sockets. Are there any possibly problems with doing this?
mkay, was going to recomend a Marshall DSL, but thats cool.

ummm, as long as the amp has a mains selector on it you'll be right, you'll need to set it to 240
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
shoulda bought em all, then split your signal to all of them
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Gah i never pulled the trigger on buying the V30head because the guy hasn't been in contact with me for ages! Having slept on the idea, i think maybe it's better if i didn't buy it.
It's supposed to be good but i don't know if it would suit my more modern rock/fuzz rock alternative and then sometimes metal sort of playing.
So marshall DSL? How much they usually run..
Quote by braydz
OK Well i bought it.

Anyways because it's from america, it obviously has an american power cable... so I'll need to get a wall adaptor so i can plug it into australian sockets. Are there any possibly problems with doing this?

gonna need to get a step down transformer if i'm to remember right. shoulda just bought a dsl401 imo which is around the $1200aud mark if i can remember right.
Azn guitarist... read the post above you.
I didn't buy it because he took too long to reply.
I'm gonna hold off for a few more weeks until i get around... $1,000AU to spend.
Still not sure what to get but everyone seems to be recommending marshall DSL's.
I had a look and a 50w DSL would probably be as good as I'd need.. even though i can't find any really under $1,000AU
Ha yeah
In perth, brand new JCM2000 DSL50... $1950AU.. and weirdly enough, the DSL100 is only $50 more expensive at $2,000
DSL401, i don't want a combo amp.
Head and Cab thankyou
I'd probably be able to get a DSL50 on ebay from US for around $1,000AU

What's a step down transformer? Easy enough or better buying australian ?
imo amps for me are a no go for buying overseas unless it's straight from a company. and why don't you want a combo amp? the only downside is having them weigh the cobined weight of a head and cab in one. and with the bringing the amp into aus you might be slapped with customs and taxes so you need to be prepared to fork out a bit more cash in case it happens

step down transformer takes our 240v and converts it down to 115v for usage with equipment that needs it. i don't know how much they cost though and it may not be needed if the amp can take different voltages from 110-240v like on some marshall amps so you may be lucky with respect to that.
Nah well I'm gonna buy a cab in aus most likely.
And the head I'm sure i can get from overseas alot cheaper.
Seriously saving like, hundreds and hundreds from getting from the US.
And I've owned a few combos in my time and am just over them and now want to try a head/cab out.
Impossible to get a decent tube head in perth under like $1,500 minimum.
azn guitarist..
I'm considering getting my cab first, and then spending a few months saving up and looking into what head to get.
I'm thinking a 2x12 cab... maybe the orange ppc212 or something :S
Or is buying the cab first stupid?
hmm orange cab is around $900aud, personally go shop with bmusic and grab their Framus CS 212 cab as it's around the $800aud mark + 50 bucks for shipping and it's awesome.

with regards to whether it's stupid that's up to you but it sounds like a good plan of attack.
the framus 2x12 is like $850 + $35 postage
surely i can get a decent 2x12 cheaper than that!
I could get a 2x12 imported cheaper than that :S
dunno you can try but i suspect that the shipping will be the main killer as they weigh a fair bit.
Yeah true.
What's some good online aus stores to buy from.. i know the typical perth ones, billy hyde, kosmic etc.. know any more i can look into?
Maybe you can find something in Singapore for a good price, the shipping would be a lot less.
Quote by braydz
Yeah true.
What's some good online aus stores to buy from.. i know the typical perth ones, billy hyde, kosmic etc.. know any more i can look into?

http://bmusic.com.au/
http://www.guitarsfromhell.com.au/
http://www.guitar.com.au/

they should carry some amp gear that might get you going billy hyde's is always a good one to remember considering they are like the australian equivalent of guitar centre.
Save up for a Mesa double or triple rectifier. May take a while but worth every cent. I have a triple and those heads can do it all IMHO it blows my JCM800 out of the water.
Yeah unfortunately I'm not that much of a br00t4l m3t4l player
I'd rather an amp with nice tone then an amp that has a gain knob that goes to 400

I'll check those sites azn guitarist thanks, and yeah billy hyde is my fav guitar shop.. i buy most of my stuff from there but yeah heads and cabs are just so expensive so I'm looking everywhere for a bargain.

Tempoe, you know some singapore online stores?
well they only cost 400usd new and considering it's used and has some slight damage it seems like a good price.
Yeah but 100w of tube.. bit much geez.. when I'm wanting like 30w max.. maybe even 15w like a tiny terror.
Okay, this is the EG forum. Move it to the GG&A forum.
I hate seeing amp threads in here.
Quote by Rhoads_1096
Okay, this is the EG forum. Move it to the GG&A forum.
I hate seeing amp threads in here.

don't click on them
Haha.
Maybe I'll just have to save up and get a Marshall JCM 50w or something.
Probably get for a grand imported from ebay or something.
Look into avatar cabs, they're custom cabs, way cheaper than comparable marshalls or framus. I will say though, I just got a cobra halfstack, and the cab with it pushes considerably more bass than my avatar cab. The avatar w/ v30's is much treblier than the cobra with greenbacks.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Alright cool... avatar don't ship to aus though i dont think.